Notices

Old 03-07-2024, 06:19 AM   #1
PiVert
PiVert began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Calibre to KoBo Libra2 - Author issue

Hello,

I am using Calibre with KoBo Libra 2
Until last transfer books appeared sorted by author Name - First name as I wanted ( ie Connelly Michael, Michael George and son on for example)

After last KoBo erase all library and export using calibre, I am getting author entries in form of Firstname and last name for all authors !
That is I get :
George
Michael
Connely
George

This is not wanted at all.

I imagine I have unadvertenly changed something somewhere, but cannot find what where !!
Could you help me please ?

I have tried to understand the template language, but I must confess I do not understand
PiVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 10:36 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
How is the author shown in the spreadsheet view (normal Library? Fn Ln or Ln, Fn?

Templates can be basic:
{authors} - {title} <<note the S is part of the name

or more complex: (I used this on my Astak that only used file names)

program:test(field('series'),strcat(
substr(field('series'), 0, 1),template("-series/{series:subitems(0,1)||/}{series:subitems(1,2)||/}{series_index:0>2s}-{title}_{authors}")
),template("00noseries/{author_sort[0]}_authors/{author_sort}/{title}-{authors}")
)

BUT
Kobo does not use filenames (other than they must be unique like any computer), so I just use the basic template for the send to... configuration.

Kobo reads metadata from the book. Kobo (utilities) supports Series (fill that out )
The Metadata Plugboard fudges additional stuff into standard metadata locations of the copy sent to the device, not supported by devices. (Since I just want Series, I do not use on my Kobo's) KISS

BTW Calibre needs distinct names (and son is not). You need to fix those that Calibre does not split properly on Add. (It handles a few: With, and <Full name> there is a tweak that shows the ones the Calibre does handle) So I correct the authors as needed: Joe and Mary Jacobs -> Joe Jacobs & Mary Jacobs
What do you need to do with Joe Jacobs and Son??? Replace son with the real name???
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 11:22 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
There is a long and detailed discussion of author names on Kobos in this thread. It is relevant if your author names are stored as LN, FN. The discussion is quite detailed and helpful.

I store author names LN, FN. The template in my plugboard for my Libra 2 is
Code:
program:
	comma = '';
	res = '';
	for author in $authors separator '&':
		res = strcat(res, comma, swap_around_comma(author));
		comma = ', '
	rof;
	res
If the author name contains a comma then this template moves the text before the comma to the end. Thus names like "Blogs, Joe" become "Joe Blogs". "Blogs MD, Joe" becomes "Joe Blogs MD".

The template depends on there being at most one comma in the author name. If there are more than one comma then more processing must be done. What processing depends on your naming conventions. The thread referenced above discusses this problem in detail.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 10:58 AM   #4
PiVert

Cool

Hi all,

I have been without internet because of provider issues. Finally solved

Then been severally ill last week till today

- TheDucks :
* son is a typo ! I intentionned to write and so on ....
* I have all authors encoded in Calibre as LastName, First Name
* and that is really how I want it, since I sort all books / CDs / ... that
way ( and that is how my brain functions since I sort things ...)
- theducks & Chaley :
* where do these program: things go in Calibre ?

For more info :
* I am happy with my Calibre setting / look and sort management as it is
* I had my KoBo showing LN FN "earlier" ( cannot state since when it
changed), but at the beginning I simply drag-dropped the epub into Kobo
when connected to my PC. Now I do it with calibre
* I allways have encoded authors as LN, FN
( when multiple as LN, FN & LN, FN)

How can I solve that issue please ?
Thanks for first answers and your reactivity at it !
Old 03-11-2024, 11:03 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiVert View Post
- theducks & Chaley :
* where do these program: things go in Calibre ?
Preferences / Metadata plugboards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard03.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	206860  
Old 03-11-2024, 11:59 AM   #6
PiVert

Oh, OK I see !

Thank you

I will give it a try with a simple sample of ten books !
Old 03-29-2024, 08:07 AM   #7
PiVert

Hi, everybody and have a good day !

I have finally be able to try it, but no success
( has been long : main hard drive died since last post. I have had to buy a new one and reinstall data / progs and son on, not an easy nor rapid task)

I have encoded

program:
comma = '';
res = '';
comma = ', '
rof;
res

in the plugboard for epub -> Kobo

In calibre all Ok
In Kobo after copying via Calibre I still ger

Alfred
Marc
Michel

de Musset
Lefranc
Twain

in the authors list view on my Kobo. It is a Libra2

Do I miss something somewhere ?
Old 03-29-2024, 11:24 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
[...]
in the plugboard for epub -> Kobo
[...]
in the authors list view on my Kobo. It is a Libra2

Do I miss something somewhere ?
For plugboards, the Libra2 is a "KoboTouch" device, not a "Kobo".

Looking at the driver code, the "Kobo" devices are:
Code:
    ORIGINAL_PRODUCT_ID = [0x4165]
    WIFI_PRODUCT_ID     = [0x4161, 0x4162]
The KoboTouch devices are:
Code:
    AURA_PRODUCT_ID     = [0x4203]
    AURA_EDITION2_PRODUCT_ID    = [0x4226]
    AURA_HD_PRODUCT_ID  = [0x4193]
    AURA_H2O_PRODUCT_ID = [0x4213]
    AURA_H2O_EDITION2_PRODUCT_ID = [0x4227]
    AURA_ONE_PRODUCT_ID = [0x4225]
    CLARA_HD_PRODUCT_ID = [0x4228]
    CLARA_2E_PRODUCT_ID = [0x4235]
    ELIPSA_PRODUCT_ID   = [0x4233]
    ELIPSA_2E_PRODUCT_ID   = [0x4236]
    FORMA_PRODUCT_ID    = [0x4229]
    GLO_PRODUCT_ID      = [0x4173]
    GLO_HD_PRODUCT_ID   = [0x4223]
    LIBRA_H2O_PRODUCT_ID = [0x4232]
    LIBRA2_PRODUCT_ID   = [0x4234]
    MINI_PRODUCT_ID     = [0x4183]
    NIA_PRODUCT_ID      = [0x4230]
    SAGE_PRODUCT_ID     = [0x4231]
    TOUCH_PRODUCT_ID    = [0x4163]
    TOUCH2_PRODUCT_ID   = [0x4224]
If you run calibre in debug mode then you can see what the plugboard does when you connect/send to the reader.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:03 AM   #9
PiVert

Hi again,

Chaley : I have finally been able to test , and indeed that has worked great !
Everything fine, authors displayed in Kobo Libra 2 as LN FN ! Superb
The day after I wnated to add a book, so connected my ereader to the PC, Calibre running.
I have seen a metadata sync message flow by, and added the new book, the ejected KoBo and let it "import".

The next day again, I launched my Kobo to read the last book added.
Booom :-(((
Almost alla authors displayed as a ʼ !!!! Only about 20 authors left as "cames", albeit again as LN and FN separatedly ...;
I am not aware of a changement I could have voluntarily done. In Calibre everything looks fine.

Any idea ?

Kobo Utilities installed and activated.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:11 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hi again,

Chaley : I have finally been able to test , and indeed that has worked great !
Everything fine, authors displayed in Kobo Libra 2 as LN FN ! Superb
The day after I wnated to add a book, so connected my ereader to the PC, Calibre running.
I have seen a metadata sync message flow by, and added the new book, the ejected KoBo and let it "import".

The next day again, I launched my Kobo to read the last book added.
Booom :-(((
Almost alla authors displayed as a ʼ !!!! Only about 20 authors left as "cames", albeit again as LN and FN separatedly ...;
I am not aware of a changement I could have voluntarily done. In Calibre everything looks fine.

Any idea ?

Kobo Utilities installed and activated.
Run calibre in debug mode, connect the device, disconnect the device, quit calibre, then post the resulting log.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:56 AM   #11
PiVert

Unhappy Calibre log file - test 20 books transfer

Hi,
thansks for answering.

I have connected my kobo libra 2 to the PC -> calibre
Erased all books form device
Selected 20 epubs to copy into the device using Calibre

Ejected Kobo
Kobo did import
19 authors are so called ̛ !!!

I have visually checked my metadat plugboard, and it seems 'correct' to me ( and I have not altered it since new problem)
I have uninstalled the KoBo utilities, so keep is 'simpler'

Hope you can help me there

log file is attached
Attached Files
File Type: txt log.txt (136.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-08-2024, 01:00 PM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks for the log.

Your plugboard is missing the last line. It must be
Code:
program:
	comma = '';
	res = '';
		comma = ', '
	rof;
	res
Without the "res" at the end the plugboard always returns a comma. I suspect the Kobo thinks a comma is two empty author names.

Assuming the books are on the device, you shouldn't need to send a book to test it. Simply connect, let the process finish, then disconnect, and the metadata will be updated.

Also, remember that after you send a book, the book's series will be set the second time you connect the device.