Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 10:49 AM   #31
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by anr View Post
Most ebooks I buy are from Webscription (www.webscription.net), with Fictionwise in second place. FW has a lot of books I can't get from Baen and Webscription, like Sarah Hoyt's Magical British Empire series. I do buy direct from Steve Jordan. (http://www.stevejordanbooks.com/)

Are your books printed in paper format ? Who by ? Do you own the e-rights ? If so, you might want to approach Arnold at Baen's bar (bar.baen.com) about putting your books up on Webscription.
Hey if you like romance (saw Sarah Hoyt), check out our Romance club here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/group.php?groupid=10
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #32
anr
anr began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen CyBook, Asus EeePC, Nokia 770
These are actually Fantasy/Romance - and I am coming from the Fantasy side. Sarah has many books in many styles - check out the Three Musketeers books by Sarah D'Almeida (sp ? her middle name) and her offerings for Baen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Hey if you like romance (saw Sarah Hoyt), check out our Romance club here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/group.php?groupid=10
anr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #33
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by anr View Post
These are actually Fantasy/Romance - and I am coming from the Fantasy side. Sarah has many books in many styles - check out the Three Musketeers books by Sarah D'Almeida (sp ? her middle name) and her offerings for Baen.
Thanks, I'll check it out
Old 02-12-2009, 12:28 PM   #34
TS-Rick
TS-Rick began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook Gen3, iPhone, PRS-505 (Blue)
Fictionwise
Books on Board
CyberRead

Also, several public libraries. They are a GREAT resource.

Rick
TS-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:44 PM   #35
JaneFancher
Zealot
JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle2
[QUOTE=brecklundin;349381]I have bought pretty much everything Baen has, I also bought Steve Jordan's books and am loving them as I work through them all. For a retail type online store I use Fictionwise, but really not for much as so many authors I want to read are not to be had anywhere. And we are talking dead guys and we can't get their stuff as an eBook. Bummer...not just because the dudes are dead, but also because their estate's don't seem to feel ebooks are worth the effort.

QUOTE]

I have a feeling that will be changing. I think a major shift in attitude has happened this year. Just wish I'd gotten into it a few years ago when Lynn Abbey and I were first talking about doing it! Would have been nice to be on top of the wave for once.

Ah, well, better late and all that...
JaneFancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2009, 04:12 AM   #36
HowGozit
Connoisseur
HowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo, Asus Tab 8, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab, Surface Pr2
Smile

Hmmm..

Baen webscriptions, then Fictionwise.. These are probably the only sites I *buy* from. Freebies from a variety of sources (Baen, feedbooks, manybooks, here, Gutenberg..)

I have also bought from authors I've found here. Steve Jordan, and I've tossed money in the tip jar for Jeff Carver..

I usually buy unprotected books. Or occasionally .lit secure (from which a conversion to unprotected .lrf may take place ....)

Ross
HowGozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:54 AM   #37
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
MS Reader format from Fictionwise if it is $12 or less.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #38
angelwithwings
angelwithwings is on a distinguished road

Device: None yet hoping to buy sony 700
Where do you buy your books?

Have you checked out ebooks on ebay?
You can get the Stephenie Meyer books for a song.
I purchased the 6 Stephenie Meyer books with the Harry Potter books for 99p.
and I have just purchased 1600 pdf fantasy books and the seller updated it to 2000. These cost me £6.99, which is about 1p for 3 books.

Ruth Tunmore
angelwithwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:00 PM   #39
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwithwings View Post
and I have just purchased 1600 pdf fantasy books and the seller updated it to 2000. These cost me £6.99, which is about 1p for 3 books.

Ruth Tunmore

These are illegal (pirated) copies of books. Please don't buy them. These are the kind of things that make ebooks look bad to publishers.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:22 PM   #40
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I would prefer to buy directly from the author -- just like I prefer to buy produce directly from the farmer. All the profit goes to the producer. But not every author wants to create/support their own web store, or to pay someone to set it up and keep it current.

That said, I've bought books from several SF authors who sell online. (And I'm including Jeffrey Carver's tip jar in this group.) And I've bought e-books from:
  • Baen
  • Fictionwise
  • Harper-Collins
  • Amazon
I've shopped at Harlequin and BooksOnBoard, but have not purchased anything at either site, yet. (I did accept the 16 free books from Harlequin earlier this month, though.

Feedbooks seems to be setting up all the infrastructure to support authors, though there's no store there yet. You might ask Hadrien what his plans might be.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #41
bighugs
bighugs began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader
I almost always buy from BooksOnBoard, but have also been tempted by sales etc at WHSmith and Waterstones... good luck!
bighugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #42
psevetson
psevetson began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've bought eBooks recently at BooksOnBoard, Fictionwise, & CyberRead. I purchase is MS Reader format when possible and Mobipocket if not. I can remove the DRM and easily convert to HTML and LRF. So I buy in formats where I can keep what I purchase long past the life of my 505.
Okay, for my first post I will ask... what's LRF? I'm addicted to non-DRM so I mostly shop at Baen (their prices don't hurt either, now if they could just get the Tor label deployed there too!), but I'd buy from other pubs if I could be sure that a hard drive crash wasn't going to be the equivalent of burning my library to the ground!

--Phil
psevetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:48 PM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwithwings View Post

Ruth Tunmore
People who sell pirated books are the lowest slime in creation. PLEASE don't encourage people to enrich such vermin.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #44
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
People who sell pirated books are the lowest slime in creation. PLEASE don't encourage people to enrich such vermin.
Selling pirated ebooks. That's a novelty! How can that guy in eBay get away with this?

About who bought those... I guess he knows it's pirated. Come on... 0,0033$/book? Wouldn't that be a little bit suspicious? :P Specially in a digital format, that can be copied and sold infinite times.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sadly, Over, it's not a novelty; eBay is full of such slimeballs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote