Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-20-2016, 06:39 PM   #16
xoanohn
Enthusiast
xoanohn doesn't litterxoanohn doesn't litter

Device: Aura One, Aura, H2O, ipad pro 12.9 (2015 and 2017), PRS-T1, PRS-505
I really want a 13-inch e-reader. I really really want sony to make v2. Almost bought the Onyx but wanted touch and pen, and almost got the good reader but didn't want the gimped ram.

I've already sent two emails to sony customer service, maybe if we all send one...
xoanohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:44 AM   #17
allochi
Connoisseur
allochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura
@rem736 You don't get the Sony for ePub, it's not for that, there are other better options, like Kobo and Kindle, 300 dpi, and epub reformat itself to a smaller screen.

The Sony is a pdf and note taking/sketching device, I work as a software developer, and I can tell you that my productivity has increased in way I didn't think of with the device:

1- I get away of any distraction (including internet) and think about ideas and sketch them.
2- I have long hours of reading without branching, you know, when you end up with 32 browser tab by reading one article.
3- full size, full view, no eye strain, better sleeping...

Consider it a real work environment, I started to leave the desk and the computer, and go do real thinking with this device. Yes, I do read also books and documents, but it's not only for books and documents.

I can't see neither Onyx not GoodEreader software come close to the Sony experience, although I really liked Onyx software on my M96+, I don't need the features (crop and zooming) anymore on the sony, but I do need the Sony note taking function and responsiveness, it's really good.

One simple trick that I use with the Sony, whenever I come across a blog or an article I that want to read, I use Chrome print to PDF to save it to my box.com account, I end up with a list of article I read usually after work, without interrupting my work day.

I would get one if you need a 13" ePaper device, I think the deal is really good (mine costed $900). Anyway, the higher dpi epaper won't be out before Q4 this year, based on the website, and then there is a test and production phase, so nothing this year.

Would I get the new version if it's out? Yes, if I can afford it, but I don't miss it with the current device.
allochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2016, 08:24 PM   #18
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: koa2 wifi, b&n ngp, sony dpt-s1
@allochi, with respect, i understand what you are saying. however, it would be nice just to be able to carry ONE e-ink device that could do it all. i could use calibre to convert every epub into pdf so i could do this. but sometimes it's too much work. other times, the conversion just turns out weird, like the line spacing being so close that the lines actually overlap each other. i did not make a change in the settings, so i don't understand why one epub converts perfectly to pdf while another doesn't. so i just don't bother anymore. i use different devices, but i would prefer to use only one. that's all i am saying.

and i do have the sony dpt-s1, for more than a year now. i think you misunderstood that as well.

Last edited by rem736; 07-21-2016 at 08:29 PM.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:18 AM   #19
allochi
Connoisseur
allochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura
@rem736 I'm Sorry, I though you didn't have the DPT-S1, I just wanted to convey my experience. I do have a Kobo in case if I want to read an epub, although I have to admit I didn't read anything in epub format for months now.

Again I'm sorry for my misunderstanding.
allochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:40 PM   #20
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DX
I was worried about GoodEReader putting out a 13.3" device, because Sony can undercut them in exactly this way.

Time will tell what S2 might bring if at all.

If Sony drops the price on this again, I might bite the bullet on the S1
tnforpaul45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2016, 11:57 PM   #21
The Inktelligent
Enthusiast
The Inktelligent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Inktelligent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Inktelligent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Inktelligent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Inktelligent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Inktelligent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Inktelligent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Inktelligent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Inktelligent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Inktelligent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Inktelligent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M96
From my experience with the DPT-S1, it is worth it...and especially now that they've lowered the price..again!

From what I've seen of Good E-reader's device, it looks somewhat capable, but I do think that the final product will lack any of Sony's finesse and build quality. Also, I have to wonder was kind of technical support you'd get from them if anything went wrong. These are the same people who, after all, continue to charge $700+ US for their e-reader while claiming that it costs less than the Sony-which is now actually $100 cheaper on amazon.com.

Sony's is a better buy in my opinion and at least they are honest about their pricing.
The Inktelligent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:21 PM   #22
bcbob
Enthusiast
bcbob began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
OOS at Anazon

Amazon no longer has a listing for the English version on 8/2/16

BHPhotovideo still has it in stock for $600
bcbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:32 AM   #23
micheleba
micheleba began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Sony DPTS1 in Germany

Hello,

does anybody know whether one can get a Sony dpts1 in Germany? I know the B&H website ships but custom fees are too high and make it too expensive. Ideas?
Thanks a lot!

Michele
micheleba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:57 PM   #24
xtech
Connoisseur
xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Aura HD, Sony DPT-RP1, Ipad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbob View Post
Amazon no longer has a listing for the English version on 8/2/16

BHPhotovideo still has it in stock for $600
Yep. I bought mine a week ago from bhp. Will not be able to touch it until late August. Meanwhile and also when I get it, and have some time, will write a few lines on the abstract subject of something like "Zen and the Art of using Sony DPT-S1")) (do not know where to post it though).

Last edited by xtech; 09-24-2016 at 12:40 PM.
xtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:45 PM   #25
xtech
Connoisseur
xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Aura HD, Sony DPT-RP1, Ipad Pro
It would be good if Sony can make the new model in two versions:

1. Ultimate (inculding new software, stylus, all features)
2. Reading companion, which will focus only on reading. No stylus, limited software (limited annotation functions), perhaps even no internet, to cut down the prices as much as possible. No audio, no bluetooth, etc. Desirable price, no higher than $500-$600
Turning pages when zoomed can be improved. Currently, if the page is zoomed in, it will not turn unless resized to the orignal format.

Both versions should have the most advanced display. Because the current one does not provide the excellent contrast.

Both versions should not have the background light, because the light always the reduces the quality of the visibility. So, if the Carta is used, the light would reduce the quality to the old epearl.

Last edited by xtech; 09-24-2016 at 12:49 PM.
xtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:49 AM   #26
Ghitulescu
Evangelist
Ghitulescu gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'Ghitulescu gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'Ghitulescu gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'Ghitulescu gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'Ghitulescu gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'Ghitulescu gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'Ghitulescu gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'Ghitulescu gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'Ghitulescu gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'Ghitulescu gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'Ghitulescu gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: PRS-T1
Dreams... Sony never ever listened to her users. Pretty much like Apple. And Ford before them.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:22 AM   #27
micheleba

DPTS2

Just to make sure people are aware of this, the DPTS1 costs $499 from WorldOx so wishing for a stripped down version with half the functionality for 500-600 seems a bit pessimistic. Of course assuming the same display...
Old 10-21-2016, 01:39 AM   #28
priyamjani
priyamjani began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by micheleba View Post
Just to make sure people are aware of this, the DPTS1 costs $499 from WorldOx so wishing for a stripped down version with half the functionality for 500-600 seems a bit pessimistic. Of course assuming the same display...
I dont see an option of purchasing from worldox. Do you have a link?
priyamjani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:40 PM   #29
micheleba

worldox link

http://www.worldox.com/productivity-...digital-paper/

you then have to contact them for a price
Good luck!

Michele
Old 11-01-2016, 11:12 PM   #30