Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-23-2016, 01:11 AM   #1
CaelThunderwing
Zealot
CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: K3(Wifi+3G)
was Something new just released for the K3 after so long an inactivity from amazon?

like the title says.. i;m confused why now after letting these rot so to speak on Software updates.

i just got this today.

[Oversized image removed by moderator]

only thing i can think of if thers no new FW Update, maybe its registering off the second K3 i have (which the screen was busted. it hasnt been use din years since. )

Last edited by eschwartz; 02-25-2016 at 12:48 AM.
CaelThunderwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:29 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
New browser client certificates and misc. patches to support 21st Century crypto (TLS) rather than 20th Century.

They don't want to cut off their revenue stream from their store operation when they update their servers.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2016, 12:48 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

Feel free to update your original post with an appropriately-resized image, or use our attachments feature (in the Go Advanced reply mode).

Thanks.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:50 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As knc1 said, they need to make sure all devices are capable of using 21st century crypto or they will stop being able to connect.

Most devices already had firmware updates with the fixes, and they just need to make sure people apply those updates.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:10 PM   #5
CaelThunderwing
Zealot
CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40CaelThunderwing is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: K3(Wifi+3G)
sorry about the oversized image,

and you think it'll break the Jailbreak upon updating?
CaelThunderwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I don't think so (although I don't actually own a K3 and I am not overly familiar with the process on them).

Certainly, you can jailbreak a fully-updated K3, and the update itself is an incremental patchset.

On newer Touch devices, hacks need to be reinstalled because the full system image updates will delete the hacks.
Even then the jailbreak stays intact.

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-02-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaelThunderwing View Post
sorry about the oversized image,

and you think it'll break the Jailbreak upon updating?
If it does, then you can just re-jailbreak it.

It is only the (PW1 and) newer touch screen devices that might have problems if not running the most recent jailbreak.

I do have a K3 here that has not been updated, so if you run into problems I should be able to duplicate them and work out how to deal with them.

And of course, Kubrick works on a K3 (if you wait long enough, on the K3 it is a slow process).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:23 PM   #8
tweety
Enthusiast
tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Well I just updated my Kindle Keyboard from v3.1 up to v3.4.2 and the Jailbreak is still there. Had to do 3 version updates to get there.
tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:43 AM   #9
Craig D
Craig D began at the beginning.

Device: K3g
There was a software update for the K3 3.4.3 for March of 2016
This is the first time I have been on my K3 since 1-07-2011.
I hear that today is the last day it will be there. ???? Not sure...
I downloaded and installed.
Craig...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaelThunderwing View Post
like the title says.. i;m confused why now after letting these rot so to speak on Software updates.

i just got this today.

[Oversized image removed by moderator]

only thing i can think of if thers no new FW Update, maybe its registering off the second K3 i have (which the screen was busted. it hasnt been use din years since. )
Craig D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:06 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig D View Post
There was a software update for the K3 3.4.3 for March of 2016
This is the first time I have been on my K3 since 1-07-2011.
I hear that today is the last day it will be there. ???? Not sure...
I downloaded and installed.
Craig...
I think you mean 3.4.2

This is the last day for non-updated devices to connect wirelessly and download the update Over-The-Air.
Come tomorrow, if you weren't updated you'd have to download it on your computer (from http://amazon.com/kindlesoftwareupdates) and sideload the update to restore the Kindle Store connectivity.