Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-13-2018, 04:54 AM   #316
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Hi theducks,

Thanks for your suggestion. Luckily my list isn't too large so I should be able to spot the problem.

I have series with name and numbers like - The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant [2] - would this cause the error? Do I need series and series index separately?

Otherwise I only have Title, Series, Authors and Tags and I can't see any numbers in any of the other columns. The rest of those columns would be words right unless it counts . or : as a number?

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:07 AM   #317
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
Hi,

I'm getting the following error when I try and import a CSV book list using the Import List plugin.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. What does that error message mean? The CSV list has columns that match my library. I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide or step by step instructions.
I think it might indicate it found a DOS line ending (CR LF) rather than a Unix line ending (LF) - where did the CSV come from ?

I thought the plugin had a setting for csv line endings, or it worked them out for itself, but its so long since I used the PI (during initial library load) that I've removed it.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:30 AM   #318
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion. Luckily my list isn't too large so I should be able to spot the problem.

I have series with name and numbers like - The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant [2] - would this cause the error? Do I need series and series index separately?

Otherwise I only have Title, Series, Authors and Tags and I can't see any numbers in any of the other columns. The rest of those columns would be words right unless it counts . or : as a number?
I think the problem is what either theducks or BR said, but, I'd need to see the file. Can you post it, or put it somewhere I can download it and PM me the link?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:59 AM   #319
Inukami
Zealot

Thanks. I have attached the file to this post.

Inukami

Last edited by Inukami; 02-13-2018 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:06 AM   #320
Inukami
Zealot

Let's try that again...had to change to txt file as wouldn't accept the csv.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Paperback List.txt (9.6 KB, 254 views)
Old 02-13-2018, 12:30 PM   #321
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Let's try that again...had to change to txt file as wouldn't accept the csv.
Notepad++ shows (many) 'Macintosh CR' used between columns (fields). Tab or comma are commonly used delimiters. The fact I could SEE columns in the fake CSV, means they are used as variable padding between fields. a true CSV looks like "","","",, when there is no data

Also AFAIK Series Index should be a separate column (you might be able to use your spreadsheet functions to split these apart, also eliminating the [])

NO ISBN When I added my paperback collection, way back when. I used Add from ISBN. (I happened to use a barcode Wedge scanner, to input those to AFI in groups of 20, so I could deal with errors)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #322
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@theducks - IMO those Macintosh line endings (CR) are line endings, not separators. What would create such things in 2018, apart from Visicalc on one of these

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	162266

@Inukami - I changed the Mac Line ends to Unix Line ends, give the attachment a try.

BR
Attached Files
File Type: txt Paperback List.txt (9.8 KB, 203 views)
Old 02-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #323
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@theducks - IMO those Macintosh line endings (CR) are line endings, not separators. What would create such things in 2018, apart from Visicalc on one of these

Attachment 162266

@Inukami - I changed the Mac Line ends to Unix Line ends, give the attachment a try.

BR
I realize they were not a 'proper' CSV separator. It almost looks like someone saved a PRINT FILE, rather than a spreadsheet CSV) export.
I have use Multiplan, Lotus123, Supercalc AND I avoided those original MAC's (they were for managers. Us working troops got XT clones
Old 02-13-2018, 11:08 PM   #324
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Beta - Fix line end problem

Attached is a beta that should fix the problem that @Inukami has reported. The problem is the mode the file was opened in. As noted, it has Mac style line ends which wasn't being handled by the way the plugin was opening the file. In the attached beta, I have changed this to "universal mode".

I haven't done much testing. I works with the posted file and is still working with several other test files I have.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Import List-beta.zip (117.8 KB, 172 views)
Old 02-13-2018, 11:21 PM   #325
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Notepad++ shows (many) 'Macintosh CR' used between columns (fields).
Not sure where you are seeing this. I only see "CR" at the end of the line. There is a "Macintosh CR" in the status bar, but that is indicating the line-ends used in the file.
Quote:
Tab or comma are commonly used delimiters. The fact I could SEE columns in the fake CSV, means they are used as variable padding between fields. a true CSV looks like "","","",, when there is no data
The file is using tabs for the delimiters. And one of the reasons to do this is to avoid needing to enclose the data in quotes if one of the other delimiters it used in the data.
Quote:
Also AFAIK Series Index should be a separate column (you might be able to use your spreadsheet functions to split these apart, also eliminating the [])
Much to my surprise, what @Inukami has done for the series works. It doesn't display correctly in the dialogs, but, when the books are created or updated, the series name and index are correct.

Last edited by davidfor; 02-13-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:23 AM   #326
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Not sure where you are seeing this. I only see "CR" at the end of the line. There is a "Macintosh CR" in the status bar, but that is indicating the line-ends used in the file.

The file is using tabs for the delimiters. And one of the reasons to do this is to avoid needing to enclose the data in quotes if one of the other delimiters it used in the data.

Much to my surprise, what @Inukami has done for the series works. It doesn't display correctly in the dialogs, but, when the books are created or updated, the series name and index are correct.
I am seeing this(repeated) between fields (appears as a gap) . I would have expected A Tab or the traditional comma
I don't think NP++ replaced a TAB with these. we are talking 4 or 5 in a row
Old 02-14-2018, 04:40 AM   #327
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@theducks - my screenshot is Notepad++, the pink arrows are tabs. I have View->Show symbols->Show all characters and Show indent guide checked, and Encoding set to UTF-8.

BR
Old 02-14-2018, 08:47 AM   #328
Inukami
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Attached is a beta that should fix the problem that @Inukami has reported. The problem is the mode the file was opened in. As noted, it has Mac style line ends which wasn't being handled by the way the plugin was opening the file. In the attached beta, I have changed this to "universal mode".

I haven't done much testing. I works with the posted file and is still working with several other test files I have.
@davidfor, @theducks & @BetterRed - Thanks for all your help. I think I downloaded the beta and the good news is that it now opens the CSV file but still not in the right format. Unfortunately all your discussion about CSV file formatting does not compute. I also tried @BetterRed attachment, but I also ran into a similar problem. When I try and import the list I get the following in the screenshot. As you can see on the left in contents it looks right but on the preview on the right, it looks very wrong. Am I doing something wrong? Or if I import will it look like the left and don't worry about the preview? Maybe I have set it up wrong...

The way I made the file was I originally had the list in Excel for Mac. I then changed/saved the file into a CSV. Nothing too weird I hope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

NO ISBN When I added my paperback collection, way back when. I used Add from ISBN. (I happened to use a barcode Wedge scanner, to input those to AFI in groups of 20, so I could deal with errors)
I thought that as I didn't have many that I would need to check cover and meta anyway so that was enough information for Calibre to recognise the books. These are also the last of my paperbacks as shifted to eBooks from 2012. I thought it wouldn't take that long to import, but as you can see I have run into problems with importing the file. It might have been easier to just put them straight into Calibre when I was putting them into the spreadsheet originally, not sure why I didn't do that.

I do also have a huge manga library which I think I'm just going to use an app on my phone (Bar-Code Reader seems to be okay) to scan and paste the ISBN into Add Books from ISBN as they are all in Japanese but haven't got to that project yet...Too bad Calibre doesn't allow you to enable the computer camera to scan in books (read the posts as to why Kovid doesn't want to do this).

Inukami
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Import List Paperback List Screen Shot.png
Views:	257
Size:	360.8 KB
ID:	162285  
Old 02-14-2018, 08:51 AM   #329
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
The poor plugin is doing what you're telling to it. The configuration says:
  • Title: Column 1
  • Author: Column 1
  • Series: Column 1
  • Library: Column 1

It should say:
  • Title: Column 2
  • Author: Column 4
  • Series: Column 3
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:00 AM   #330
Inukami
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
The poor plugin is doing what you're telling to it. The configuration says:
  • Title: Column 1
  • Author: Column 1
  • Series: Column 1

It should say:
  • Title: Column 2
  • Author: Column 4
  • Series: Column 3
Whoops. Silly me. I obviously didn't know how to use it correctly. All perfectly imported now! Thank you very much @Terisa de morgan for getting me to the end point and @davidfor, @theducks & @BetterRed for everything before. :-)

Inukami

Tags
column types