Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-30-2018, 09:12 PM   #16
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
During a storm the other evening there was a power cut around 7:30 pm, so I dossed down in my bed, pulled out my Kindle, and read until the power came back on.

Also, it made a useful torch for moving around; very dim light, but much better than total darkness.

It's full of books, too.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:00 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
Also, it made a useful torch for moving around; very dim light, but much better than total darkness.
Quite often when I head downstairs in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, I don't bother with the lights, I just grab my eReader and use it as a torch, especially as I want to avoid stepping on the cat, who just loves resting on the stairs..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:04 PM   #18
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Nice to know my husband isn't the only person to use his ereader as a flashlight.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:10 PM   #19
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
What if I'm reading in EBCDIC‽‽
Do you carry your IBM mainframe around with you so you can read? I bet you look funny on the bus. And where do you find power in the park? Or do you have a portable, battery powered mainframe?

Actually I haven't worked on or even seen a mainframe in decades so as far as I know maybe you can carry them in your pocket these days.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:51 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Do you carry your IBM mainframe around with you so you can read? I bet you look funny on the bus. And where do you find power in the park? Or do you have a portable, battery powered mainframe?

Actually I haven't worked on or even seen a mainframe in decades so as far as I know maybe you can carry them in your pocket these days.

Barry
I have an EBCDIC to ASCII conversion program on my laptop (handles 5 variants as far as I remember). It was originally used to handle converting files for a company that had EBCDIC files on 8" SD floppies for use on their new CP/M machines with 5.25" hard sectored floppies (Northstar for the antiques fan). The original code came from a CP/M users group floppy and it's a program that I like to rewrite every once in a while for new processors and operating systems.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:41 AM   #21
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Much as I love ebooks, I’d not still be buying many if not for Calibre and the plugins maintained by the anonymous unpaid apprentices. They’re more amazing to me than anything else in the ebook world.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:27 AM   #22
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Much as I love ebooks, I’d not still be buying many if not for Calibre and the plugins maintained by the anonymous unpaid apprentices. They’re more amazing to me than anything else in the ebook world.
Agreed, love ebooks and have since Palm days. But without the ability to back up and be able to read what I buy on whatever I want I would not be buying them. I would buy books at used book stores which was what I did back in the day and still do on occasion.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote