Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-19-2017, 10:03 PM   #31111
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Thanks, folks. I've think I've settled on a Bell's Double-Cream Stout to wash my Combo-related blues away.
Well, Diap...

You did say that they were pizzeria flavored, right? Did they taste like brick? Like plaster? Like crappy oilcloth tablecloths, or lousy cheap candles in even lousier cheap Chianti? (As if there's another kind...) With an aftertaste of neverending renditions of "That's Amore?"

Well, then, you got your money's worth. Taste o'Pizzeria!

Spoiler:
I can't believe nobody went for that. I've been sitting here since he posted it awaiting pizzeria snark.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:34 AM   #31112
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
The one thing that sucks about my iPad Pro is its recharge time. Been plugged in for three hours and it is still only at 63%. I wish Apple would’ve been nice enough to have included a better charger.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #31113
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well, Diap...

You did say that they were pizzeria flavored, right? Did they taste like brick? Like plaster? Like crappy oilcloth tablecloths, or lousy cheap candles in even lousier cheap Chianti? (As if there's another kind...) With an aftertaste of neverending renditions of "That's Amore?"
Well I didn't name 'em! Clearly my bad for saying pizzeria-flavored Instead of Combos Pizzeria Pretzel Baked Snacks, though.

Regardless ... my memory of them was a pretzel (or cracker, depending on the variety) wrapped around a gushy, flavor-filled core. Rather than the pretzel-with-a-thin-stain-of-vaguely-tomato-ey-flavored-substance-running-through-it that I got.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:28 AM   #31114
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Songs that cannot possibly sound good when played by a marching band (no matter how good the arrangement/band):

"Walkin' on Sunshine" - Katrina and the Waves (the chorus can work, but the verses are doomed).

"We built This City" - Jefferson Starship.

Spoiler:
Yes, this is inspired by me recently hearing attempts of both, first-hand.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:49 PM   #31115
PandathePanda
a toy panda
PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Android dvices
Something that makes me grumpy, and make me wonder wtf was the author thinking. Sometimes on "giveaway" sites like instafreebie, the author would upload a book giveaway, but the quality is of so low standard, that it makes project gutenberg's ebooks look as if it was professionally done.

This is a cover of one of the two:

and no I didn't photoshop it, the ebook once imported into Calibre is also named like that, and it has almost no formatting. The other was just as bad.

Why do a giveaways with so low quality books, when normally you use giveaways as free advertisement. it looks from the reader's end as if you are not proud on your book, and if you are not proud of your book, why should the reader read it?
PandathePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2017, 03:04 PM   #31116
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandathePanda View Post
Something that makes me grumpy, and make me wonder wtf was the author thinking. Sometimes on "giveaway" sites like instafreebie, the author would upload a book giveaway, but the quality is of so low standard, that it makes project gutenberg's ebooks look as if it was professionally done.

and no I didn't photoshop it, the ebook once imported into Calibre is also named like that, and it has almost no formatting. The other was just as bad.

Why do a giveaways with so low quality books, when normally you use giveaways as free advertisement. it looks from the reader's end as if you are not proud on your book, and if you are not proud of your book, why should the reader read it?
I guess they think it's free so why make an effort.
I wouldn't read that author.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #31117
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Well I didn't name 'em! Clearly my bad for saying pizzeria-flavored Instead of Combos Pizzeria Pretzel Baked Snacks, though.

Regardless ... my memory of them was a pretzel (or cracker, depending on the variety) wrapped around a gushy, flavor-filled core. Rather than the pretzel-with-a-thin-stain-of-vaguely-tomato-ey-flavored-substance-running-through-it that I got.
I have to confess...I have never tasted those gushy whatevers. I don't know why, but I seem to have a "plain junkfood" palate. I don't like flavored potato chips, or corn chips, or any of that stuff. {shrug}. So, I'll have to take your word for the gooey goodness.

:-_
Old 10-20-2017, 03:10 PM   #31118
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:

<snippage of a truly awful cover>

I wonder....

I mean, yes, the colors are appalling. But I wonder if he somehow screwed up, and put the Book ID on the cover accidentally. It's not a mistake that an experienced bookmaker would make, but...a first-timer, following half-assed instructions from some self-appointed, DIY eBook Guru, on the Net? Oh, easy-peasy to screw that up.

Hitch
Old 10-20-2017, 03:27 PM   #31119
PandathePanda
a toy panda
PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Android dvices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I wonder....

I mean, yes, the colors are appalling. But I wonder if he somehow screwed up, and put the Book ID on the cover accidentally. It's not a mistake that an experienced bookmaker would make, but...a first-timer, following half-assed instructions from some self-appointed, DIY eBook Guru, on the Net? Oh, easy-peasy to screw that up.

Hitch
I doubt it's a rookie mistake, the author has quite a few books out, and even a few Audible editions, according to Amazon
PandathePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:09 PM   #31120
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I doubt it's a rookie mistake, the author has quite a few books out, and even a few Audible editions, according to Amazon
Hm...well, then, can't figure it out. It looks like the kind of number that's auto-generated by eBook software, like Calibre. It's damned peculiar, I'll say that.

Hitch
Old 10-24-2017, 03:28 AM   #31121
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
My mother has chronic bronchitis and when she has a cold she has to be careful to take her medicines and still she regularly (every 1 to 2 years) she either almost gets a pneumonia or fully gets one.

On Saturday she started getting a cold and although she coughed a lot and felt tired she was okay until this morning. When she could hardly breathe, her inhaler didn't help and she had my father call an ambulance. She was put on a ventilator, I don't know if they gave her anything. After a while the ventilator had helped a lot and they called our doctor to see if he wanted to see her or if he preferred to have her taken to the hospital. He wanted to see her and he had time to do it right then. So the ambulance crew left, my father got the car and my parents are now at the doctor.

She was diagnosed with chronic bronchitis at a young age, but my grandmother and doctor didn't tell her. It was convenient for my grandmother; she kept my mother home, because my mother "didn't have long to live", my mother had to do the housekeeping and was sent to work at age 16. She didn't find out until she was in her 30s that she had bronchitis, when she found it harder to breathe and our current doctor told her and put her on medication. He was horrified she never knew.

Am I worried, sure. But most of all I'm angry. She smokes unfiltered cigarettes, quite a lot IMHO (and she also has high blood pressure). Over the last couple of years she has reduced the number of cigarettes she smokes, but with her health issues any cigarette is one too many. Also, when she has a cold she smokes more, because it suppresses the coughing, or so she says.

As children we begged her to stop. I don't know why she doesn't want to stop; if it's a middle finger to her mother and then doctor, if it's her way of keeping in control or because she afraid she can't stop. I wished she was taken to the hospital. I assume our doctor has told her numerous times to stop, maybe if she was taken to the hospital and got a lecture about smoking there it would be a wake up call. Probably not though, but you never know.

Now, for next month or month and a half I will not only be working pretty much full time, I'll also be responsible for the house keeping and have to do also those pesky chores my mother hates doing (thawing and cleaning the freezer, deep clean the kitchen, etc).
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:11 AM   #31122
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Advertising.

The ad at the top of the Amazon page says: "KINDLE 10TH ANNIVERSARY SALE. Save on all things Kindle."

So "ALL THINGS KINDLE" except the Kindle Oasis, ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #31123
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
My mother has chronic bronchitis and when she has a cold she has to be careful to take her medicines and still she regularly (every 1 to 2 years) she either almost gets a pneumonia or fully gets one.

On Saturday she started getting a cold and although she coughed a lot and felt tired she was okay until this morning. When she could hardly breathe, her inhaler didn't help and she had my father call an ambulance. She was put on a ventilator, I don't know if they gave her anything. After a while the ventilator had helped a lot and they called our doctor to see if he wanted to see her or if he preferred to have her taken to the hospital. He wanted to see her and he had time to do it right then. So the ambulance crew left, my father got the car and my parents are now at the doctor.

She was diagnosed with chronic bronchitis at a young age, but my grandmother and doctor didn't tell her. It was convenient for my grandmother; she kept my mother home, because my mother "didn't have long to live", my mother had to do the housekeeping and was sent to work at age 16. She didn't find out until she was in her 30s that she had bronchitis, when she found it harder to breathe and our current doctor told her and put her on medication. He was horrified she never knew.

Am I worried, sure. But most of all I'm angry. She smokes unfiltered cigarettes, quite a lot IMHO (and she also has high blood pressure). Over the last couple of years she has reduced the number of cigarettes she smokes, but with her health issues any cigarette is one too many. Also, when she has a cold she smokes more, because it suppresses the coughing, or so she says.

As children we begged her to stop. I don't know why she doesn't want to stop; if it's a middle finger to her mother and then doctor, if it's her way of keeping in control or because she afraid she can't stop. I wished she was taken to the hospital. I assume our doctor has told her numerous times to stop, maybe if she was taken to the hospital and got a lecture about smoking there it would be a wake up call. Probably not though, but you never know.

Now, for next month or month and a half I will not only be working pretty much full time, I'll also be responsible for the house keeping and have to do also those pesky chores my mother hates doing (thawing and cleaning the freezer, deep clean the kitchen, etc).
Hi. I won't recommend your mother quit smoking. I will recommend your mother cutting her smoking in half every day. That worked for me.

Now good luck with that freezer. We did ours Sunday.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #31124
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Has she tried vapor cigarettes? I know many people who switched that it cured their respiratory issues. I also know many who use them to quit smoking forever. They really work.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:22 PM   #31125
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Has she tried vapor cigarettes? I know many people who switched that it cured their respiratory issues. I also know many who use them to quit smoking forever. They really work.

Sent from my XT1528
I wore the full-strength nicotine patch, and it worked for me. What I'm not saying is that I wore it...for a year. I'd smoked like a fiend for dog's years, and I had to quit (nearly 20 years now). But without that patch, it would have been fugly, I tell ya. That last effort, wearing the full-strength patch, for a year--that worked. Nothing else, before then, "took." And god knows, I tried everything, albeit, obviously, not Vaping because that didn't exist then.

Even if she never quit, vaping would be dramatically better for her, of course.

Hitch

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness