Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
Symmetria
Symmetria began at the beginning.

Device: none
Weird page numbers in .mobi

Hi all!

It recently came to my attention, after having converted several .epub books into .mobi using the built in Kindlegen of Kindle Previewer, that the generated .mobi files, even though they look fine, exactly like their .epub counterparts, show a wacky page number.

For example, I convert a ~150 page .epub to .mobi, using the Kindle Previewer, and when I read it in the Previewer it shows something like 3000 pages and when you turn pages, the current page number increments randomly.

For the life of me I have no idea why this is happening, I have searched high and low on google about this and came up empty handed.
All my .epub files are created in Sigil and are passing the epub validator with no warnings or errors whatsoever.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Last edited by Symmetria; 12-02-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Symmetria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
The running number displayed by Kindles are not page numbers, but "locations." Commercial Kindle books can have "real page numbers," but they're stored in a separate .apnx files that KindleGen cannot generate.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Symmetria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
The running number displayed by Kindles are not page numbers, but "locations." Commercial Kindle books can have "real page numbers," but they're stored in a separate .apnx files that KindleGen cannot generate.
Aha, that is certainly enlightening, thank you.
So, do I care about it, do I need to fix it or is this is normal and I just leave it be?
The books I am working on are all reflowable (and distributed commercially), so manually adding page numbers does not apply here (if I understand the .apnx thing correctly)

Last edited by Symmetria; 12-02-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
No, you don't need to do anything. Locations are about every 128 bytes, including formatting, so it is hard to tell exactly what locations will be displayed on a given screen. Just use them as necessary. They are sequential. For example, if you aren't syncing locations, etc. and you have 2 Kindles and you are reading on both, you can Go To the location number from Kindle 1 on Kindle 2, and be exactly where you left off.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmetria View Post
So, do I care about it, do I need to fix it or is this is normal and I just leave it be?
Showing "locations" instead of page numbers in one the Kindle idiosyncrasies that you'll have to learn to live with, because you cannot do anything about it.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
Symmetria

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
No, you don't need to do anything. Locations are about every 128 bytes, including formatting, so it is hard to tell exactly what locations will be displayed on a given screen. Just use them as necessary. They are sequential. For example, if you aren't syncing locations, etc. and you have 2 Kindles and you are reading on both, you can Go To the location number from Kindle 1 on Kindle 2, and be exactly where you left off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Showing "locations" instead of page numbers in one the Kindle idiosyncrasies that you'll have to learn to live with, because you cannot do anything about it.
Thanks a lot both of you!