Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-19-2008, 09:27 AM   #31
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
It's a fixed list, tied to Karma score, so status level might be a bit closer.

We had a lot of fun coming up with the list (the loading mercury with a pitchfork is a personal favorite of mine -- it came from a line in a one-act play I was in in High School). The highest "level" is reached at 20k, if you want to know what it says, you'll have to work really hard. The one below it is at 10k, and you can see that one on any of Alex's entries.

And before anyone asks: what fun would it be if we just posted the list?
zowie, new motivation to be super-humanly helpful / wildly entertaining, just so i can find out what will be the fortune at 20k...

or, i could just give alex karma every time i am able, in hopes of pushing him up there in my lifetime...

(i love the mercury / pitchfork one as well ! i wrote it down in my "book o' quotations")
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The highest "level" is reached at 20k, if you want to know what it says, you'll have to work really hard. The one below it is at 10k, and you can see that one on any of Alex's entries.
Or, indeed, mine .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2008, 10:20 AM   #33
TommyCooper
Enthusiast
TommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket Reader, CyBook, Asus EEE PC
zelda - perhaps we could get into secret 'karma-groups', in which we promise to karma each other while at the same time increasing our postal output by posting nonsensical or whimsical messages which nobody understands. However, the people in the karma-group would then karma that person and post replies saying things thusly: 'I entirely agree with that profound argument', 'You make a valid point there old chap', 'I'd never quite thought of it that way' and so-on and so-forth in an endless cycling orgy of karmaism and postings until finally the barriers are broken and the profound messages are revealed. Yeah, okay, I know....I'm banned .

Tommy
TommyCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:44 AM   #34
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCooper View Post
zelda - perhaps we could get into secret 'karma-groups', in which we promise to karma each other while at the same time increasing our postal output by posting nonsensical or whimsical messages which nobody understands. However, the people in the karma-group would then karma that person and post replies saying things thusly: 'I entirely agree with that profound argument', 'You make a valid point there old chap', 'I'd never quite thought of it that way' and so-on and so-forth in an endless cycling orgy of karmaism and postings until finally the barriers are broken and the profound messages are revealed. Yeah, okay, I know....I'm banned .

Tommy
oh, old chap, if only it were that easy... i've already discovered that you can't bestow karma willy-nilly ; for example, once, having forgotten that i already had done so, i tried to bestow karma for a post, and got a message telling me i could not give karma twice for the same post (it does prove the consistency of my taste though). another example, i tried to give karma to someone, only to receive a message "you must spread some karma around before giving it again to [this old branch]" (or words to that effect). in fact, i might have gotten that one trying to give karma to you. since i am sure that i had not given that person any karma that day, apparently you do actually have to favor other people first, not just wait a certain time. further proof of my own consistency, but sadly a stick in our figurative wheel on the road to revealing the mysteries of 20k.

but, don't let it stop you from giving me karma if you so desire... there are many steps before 20k each with their own wisdom to impart
Old 03-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #35
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Or, indeed, mine .
HarryT has exceeded all limitations known to mankind !!!!!!!

holy superlative, Batman !!!
Advert
Old 03-19-2008, 11:07 AM   #36
TommyCooper
Enthusiast
TommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enoughTommyCooper will become famous soon enough

Blimey zelda, you're not getting the hang of our secret group thing at all. Remember, I post something whimsical and then you say 'profoundly compelling' or some such thing, then you karma me . Then I reciprocate..etc .

Tommy

[ Hold-on, I think I got something in my eye ]
Old 03-19-2008, 11:11 AM   #37
zelda_pinwheel

oh sorry, were we starting already ? wait wait, say something whimsical, i'm ready now.

(let me have a look at that eye of yours, blimey look at the size of that, what is that ?)
Old 03-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #38
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
Oh yeah, which one of y'all is from Texas? Someone has to be judging from Wolf's status. Hilarious!
That would be me, but oddly enough, that particular status came from the guy in the Pacific Northwest sorry, that should have been Northeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
(i love the mercury / pitchfork one as well ! i wrote it down in my "book o' quotations")
You might be interested in knowing the original line, then. It was: "This is like loading mercury with a pitchfork!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Or, indeed, mine .
Yup, but Alex is still the top dog on the karma scale, so I thought of him first. Besides, that's appropriate seeing as he is the one gave us all this nice sandbox to play in.

Quote:
Yeah, okay, I know....I'm banned .
Not quite ... but we will all waggle our fingers at you while growling "shame" repeatedly.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:52 AM   #39
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
You might be interested in knowing the original line, then. It was: "This is like loading mercury with a pitchfork!"
and where is that from ? i'll gladly read a whole volume if it's all like that one line... (want some karma with that ? )
Old 03-19-2008, 11:56 AM   #40
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
and where is that from ? i'll gladly read a whole volume if it's all like that one line... (want some karma with that ? )
It's from a one-act play called Stages (if I'm remembering right). It wouldn't take long to read, it's about, oh ... 50 pages, and that includes stage directions. I haven't looked for it in a long time.

It's actually a pretty freaky little play, but fun if you're in the right frame of mind for it.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:13 PM   #41
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
You can always tell a Texan, you just can't tell him much. In fact another of the levels (I won't say what level) is "You may already be a Texan."

The one I like best is "knows where his/her towel is."
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:23 PM   #42
TommyCooper
Enthusiast

Quote:
oh sorry, were we starting already ? wait wait, say something whimsical, i'm ready now.

(let me have a look at that eye of yours, blimey look at the size of that, what is that ?)
zelda, I will demur from making any entendres, double or otherwise, on that potentially saucy statement. I will just say that I think this thing is bigger than both of us . I will finally state that I bow to your superior knowledge on this subject, but I'm determined I will give you some karma when you least expect it..so there, how do you like them 'pommes'?

Tommy
Old 03-19-2008, 06:18 PM   #43
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
It's from a one-act play called Stages (if I'm remembering right). It wouldn't take long to read, it's about, oh ... 50 pages, and that includes stage directions. I haven't looked for it in a long time.

It's actually a pretty freaky little play, but fun if you're in the right frame of mind for it.
hm, i hate to bother you, but you wouldn't happen to know the author ? "stages" or "stages play" gives thousands of results in amazon or google, and the quotation gives only this page... (ironically, google recommends i try spelling it this way : "This is like reading mercury with a pitchfork!", which gives 0 results.)

Quote:
how do you like them 'pommes'?

Tommy
hmm, juicy ! (i cannot beleive there is no smiley wearing a halo with an innocent expression.)
Old 03-19-2008, 06:23 PM   #44
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
hm, i hate to bother you, but you wouldn't happen to know the author ? "stages" or "stages play" gives thousands of results in amazon or google, and the quotation gives only this page... (ironically, google recommends i try spelling it this way : "This is like reading mercury with a pitchfork!", which gives 0 results.)
Sorry, I don't. I wish I did, 'cause I can't find it either. Knowing what it's about isn't any help.

I think I have my old script somewhere, but it's beyond my reach, even if I do still have it (moved a few times since I saw it last).

Quote:
hmm, juicy ! (i cannot beleive there is no smiley wearing a halo with an innocent expression.)
Dig up one you like, and post it in the Feedback forum, Alex has added quite a number of them by request.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:17 PM   #45
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Sorry, I don't. I wish I did, 'cause I can't find it either. Knowing what it's about isn't any help.

I think I have my old script somewhere, but it's beyond my reach, even if I do still have it (moved a few times since I saw it last).
ah, too bad. well, if you ever remember it, post it in the book recommendations !

Quote:
Dig up one you like, and post it in the Feedback forum, Alex has added quite a number of them by request.
meh, i'm not that invested... but that's good to know, i will keep it in mind.

Tags
focking, lefty