Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 03-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
Freescale Smartbook - it's looking pretty nice

Engadget has a video interview/demo up. It's apparently already running Linux, Android and Chrome OS and they're sticking with the $200 price point. Check it out here.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
Polydwarf
Enthusiast
Polydwarf began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ V7, Cybook Opus
Fire-engine-red looks pretty nice?

I'm just giving you grief. It does look nifty; basically like the rest of the tablets that come out of China, except made by a company on this side of the globe and (presumably) sold in local stores.

Personally, I wish Freescale would sell these units to the public, in addition to going through OEM's. Assuming they have any sort of cafeteria or anything, just sell it there. Then again, since Freescale is down the road from me, it wouldn't be that big a deal for me to walk in and plunk down some cash.

I wonder if they're going to try for combo devices, considering they've also got a cheap eink-on-a-chip solution, a la the Adam.
Polydwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
Yes, similar to the other ARM tablets we've seen. But listening to the interview it sounds like they're really working to do things right with fully implemented OpenGL ES, video acceleration(that actually works, not just a chip that's "capable"), etc. I'm not sure if the keyboard/dock will be too useful but it's an option. I do wonder if it will be an official Android device - meaning market and all that.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote