Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Cool FOX gui toolkit for Iliad

Hi All,

I managed to compile the FOX gui toolkit for the Iliad. A small test program seems to run just fine.

FOX is a *very* nice cross-platform (C++ object oriented) gui toolkit. It supports Linux and windows. See: http://www.fox-toolkit.org/fox.html

I compiled it without much problems by using the scratchbox environment described elsewhere in the forum, and ran the program with the modified libX11 that refreshes the screen periodically...

Attached is a screen dump. On the real display it looks smaller, and is not so
beautiful (only 16 gray levels). It is very sharp and readable
nevertheless...

If somebody is interested I can try to describe this in more detail.

Hansel.

It's a pity I don't have much spare time... I managed to port Ruby as well.
FXRuby would be cool (if memory permits).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	foxtest.png
Views:	665
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	16005  
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
I managed to compile the FOX gui toolkit for the Iliad. A small test program seems to run just fine.

FOX is a *very* nice cross-platform (C++ object oriented) gui toolkit. It supports Linux and windows. See: http://www.fox-toolkit.org/fox.html
Mmmmm... FOX calculator has been my desktop calculator for a while. I've also played with it a little (and it's nice in fact).

BUT...
(rant) Personally it's that I'm not that fond of programming in C++. Back when I learned it I was enthusiastic of C++, but I've been bitten with too creative C++ done by others that I now prefer to use languages I can master in it entirety. Anyway that leaves the problem of windowing toolkits... there are some quite interesting options in C++: FOX, FLTK2, and Qt4... personally I usually end doing GUIs in tcl/tk or using (eek!) SDL... and that doesn't work for complex ones; unresolved matter for me(/rant)
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica View Post
Mmmmm... FOX calculator has been my desktop calculator for a while...
I have it (FOX calculator) running on my Iliad right now (static link => 1.5 MB). When I have some more time I'll try to get it running without the hacked libX11, and rotated 90 degrees with big buttons. That would be my first useful ported app for the Iliad

I'll post it here when it's ready...

Hansel.
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote