Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #91
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
WinXP on physical hardware, no hickups encountered. it worked like a charm
Can you please describe what you did step by step, and what the symptoms of your Kindle were before you flashed?

It would greatly help other people in the thread. Thanks.
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #92
arooni
Addict

Assuming you ever got this to flash anything... I'd love to know what you flashed; and how what you flashed enabled you to de-brick the device.
Advert
Old 07-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #93
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
In ATK, the flash size will only be shown after a successful operation involving the flash.

I've checked carefully and noticed the following:
- my device drops out of USB downloader mode very soon when there is no USB cable connection to my PC
- my device also drops out of USB downloader mode very soon when no communication is happening between the PC and the device. I guess that should be done by a properly installed USB driver, but I'm not sure about that yet.

BTW, the promised libusb(x/-1.0) based approach I wrote is ready for testing: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184310
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #94
WoenK
WoenK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, Trekstor5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
In ATK, the flash size will only be shown after a successful operation involving the flash.

I've checked carefully and noticed the following:
- my device drops out of USB downloader mode very soon when there is no USB cable connection to my PC
- my device also drops out of USB downloader mode very soon when no communication is happening between the PC and the device. I guess that should be done by a properly installed USB driver, but I'm not sure about that yet.

BTW, the promised libusb(x/-1.0) based approach I wrote is ready for testing: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184310
weird...ATK showed me the flash size in the working one from the beginning, even before pressing the dump key.
Did a little playing around with entering the download mode, easiest thing was to open the device manager, hold the power button, wait till the iMX35 disappears then press vol -, release the power button and a second later the vol -.

Tried it on the broken one, seemd to work but was not able to load the kernel into ram, allways failed to write to flash.
Connection got reset on a second try, which accorrding to the iMX35 manual is normal, the watchdogtimer checks the function and blocks after 32 seconds, another reset is needed after that.
Also explains why it drops out if no connection is there.

But my final diagnosis on my bricked one...its a paper weight.
Charged the battery in the working one, it worked flawlessly in there and swapping it back made no difference.
Absolutely no output on the serial port.
Not beeing able to dump, program or erase even though I was pretty sure about beeing in download mode probably means the memory is fried.

Would have liked to contribute a bit more, but playing around with my girls K3 seems a bit too risky, especially because she needs it for our holidays starting saturday.
The USB download mode is surely the best solution, enables a "fire and forget" option and is way less cost intensive and complicated then the serial upload.

Will join the libusb tryouts as soon as I get my own working K3 (probably end of August) and as soon as a working Win7 solution is available ;D
Only problem I see would be how a noob could get the .bins from the .img files.
WoenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:32 AM   #95
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
The Vol- button might be pressed the whole time, it does not matter if it is ever released, it just has to be pressed upon K3 reset. As I said before, I think I'd just tape it down when timing is unclear.

It also seems I had installed two drivers that came with ATK: the MX35 one plus the "windriver", by running "wd_install_4NT.bat". Not sure if both are needed, but I think the latter might provide functions for the other one.

I would certainly not risk a K3 that is "in production use" and not broken :-)
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #96
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
The Vol- button might be pressed the whole time, it does not matter if it is ever released, it just has to be pressed upon K3 reset. As I said before, I think I'd just tape it down when timing is unclear.
I do not press my "magic key" until just before releasing the power button. The only requirement is that the "magic key" (Vol- on a K3) be down when power is released. A fraction of a second between keypress events is fine (enough for switch debouncing).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #97
WoenK

Quote:

It also seems I had installed two drivers that came with ATK: the MX35 one plus the "windriver", by running "wd_install_4NT.bat". Not sure if both are needed, but I think the latter might provide functions for the other one.

I would certainly not risk a K3 that is "in production use" and not broken :-)
It always installs both drivers, even if you do not run the .bat. Upon reset the windriver one remains connected, only the iMX35 gets disconnected.
One thing what would interest me...might it be possible to go through the serial port using ATK ?
Old 07-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #98
kraqh3d
kraqh3d began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
@WoenK,
ATK worked flawlessly the very first time with my working K3. I couldn't get it to work at all with the bricked one. I was getting the same error from the screenshot in page 5. Were you? I came to two conclusions. One was that the battery wasn't charging, but I charged mine for nearly two whole days on AC and I still got the error. I didn't bother with the swap but you tested that. The other conclusion was that the mmc was totally fried. I never got around to building a serial cable to check any output from uboot. You see no output at all which supports the totally fried mmc conclusion. I boxed mine up and sent it back to the mother ship yesterday.
kraqh3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #99
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Ah, should not depend on the MMC.
The rom and ram used is internal to the SoC.
So your SoC may be fried, not the MMC.
Same conclusion: ship it back.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #100
kraqh3d
kraqh3d began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
If the SoC, itself, was fried, why would it identify itself on the usb bus at all?
kraqh3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #101
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraqh3d View Post
If the SoC, itself, was fried, why would it identify itself on the usb bus at all?
There is more than one part inside of the SoC.
"Fried" is a figure of speech not a technical description.

If you need to know exactly what failed, use the eJTAG port (its marked on the K3 board).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #102
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There is more than one part inside of the SoC.
"Fried" is a figure of speech not a technical description.

If you need to know exactly what failed, use the eJTAG port (its marked on the K3 board).
It is possible for a single transistor to fail (out of many millions), which may cause occasional transient glitches, or massive failure, or anywhere in between. The USB enumeration circuits may be intact, but something needed to boot from mmc may have a hardware failure. Some intermittent failures can be thermal sensitive as well, so one diagnostic method is to cool chips with a non-conductive spray chiller during testing.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #103
WoenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraqh3d View Post
@WoenK,
ATK worked flawlessly the very first time with my working K3. I couldn't get it to work at all with the bricked one. I was getting the same error from the screenshot in page 5. Were you? I came to two conclusions. One was that the battery wasn't charging, but I charged mine for nearly two whole days on AC and I still got the error. I didn't bother with the swap but you tested that. The other conclusion was that the mmc was totally fried. I never got around to building a serial cable to check any output from uboot. You see no output at all which supports the totally fried mmc conclusion. I boxed mine up and sent it back to the mother ship yesterday.
geekmaster was right about the battery, it could be that it is not totally charged in the bricked on. Could be the the circuits controlling the charging got damaged.
Could be a lot of things
If it were some 80s electronics, I could fix it probably, but those tiny SMD thingies and the equipment you need to even find the error and the manuals to sip thorugh....way too much work. Mine was the leftover after a replacement so shipping it dows not help, I will keep it for spareparts
Old 07-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #104
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoenK View Post
geekmaster was right about the battery, it could be that it is not totally charged in the bricked on. Could be the the circuits controlling the charging got damaged.
Could be a lot of things
If it were some 80s electronics, I could fix it probably, but those tiny SMD thingies and the equipment you need to even find the error and the manuals to sip thorugh....way too much work. Mine was the leftover after a replacement so shipping it dows not help, I will keep it for spareparts
You could temporarily swap batteries with a good kindle to try to charge it. That would tell you whether the problem is the battery or the charger circuit in the kindle. That is what I did to get one of my K4s working enough to debrick it when it would not charge at all. Of course, because the batteries are glued in, I had to place the two K4s back-to-back with cover removed to swap battery cables so the dead battery would charge.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-10-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #105
arooni
Addict

Can someone please link me to to elaborate on what you can do if you can actually get your Kindle to hook up to ATK successfully? I'm unclear on what I should flash, and how I can use that to recover my Kindle.