Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 05-25-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
Memes
Memes knows the complete value of PI to the endMemes knows the complete value of PI to the endMemes knows the complete value of PI to the endMemes knows the complete value of PI to the endMemes knows the complete value of PI to the endMemes knows the complete value of PI to the endMemes knows the complete value of PI to the endMemes knows the complete value of PI to the endMemes knows the complete value of PI to the endMemes knows the complete value of PI to the endMemes knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle PW3
Convert Image PDF to PDF with text or other ebook format.

Hello,

I have been lurking these forums for a few months now, and I'm proud to say I have finally joined the ranks as someone who reads on an e-ink display!

It's great I'm not wasting my phone battery or hunched over my laptop anymore.

However, most of my books I wish to read are books about the game of go.

What I want to do is take my PDFs and convert them to PDFs with text. (instead of an image on each page its text and an image)

This will make the text available for me to highlight and make notes (I own a kindle paperwhite) and will make it easier for me to format using k2pdfopt. (when I try to reflow a PDF it makes the diagram text below a diagram unreadable because it's so small)

Here is an example of what I'm working with:

http://imgur.com/a/18fPm

Thank you very much for you time and I'm sorry if this question was already answered.

P.S. I don't want to extract only the text I want to keep the whole of the document.

Last edited by Memes; 05-25-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Memes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:51 PM   #2
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memes View Post
What I want to do is take my PDFs and convert them to PDFs with text. (instead of an image on each page its text and an image)
You can do this with k2pdfopt if you also install the Tesseract OCR portion of it:
Code:
k2pdfopt -mode copy -n- -ocr t -odpi 100 -as go.pdf
See attachments as example. The -as applies auto-straighten since your image is slightly skewed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf go.pdf (244.7 KB, 454 views)
File Type: pdf go_k2opt.pdf (134.6 KB, 447 views)
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:31 PM   #3
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I usually use Elucidate. It's a Mac front-end for Tesseract.

However, Tesseract sometimes drops the first letters from words, or reads things in the wrong order. I can't select an entry from a table of contents, to check it in my translation software, because it selects the next page, and inserts that into the entry...
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:27 PM   #4
Memes
Memes knows the complete value of PI to the endMemes knows the complete value of PI to the endMemes knows the complete value of PI to the endMemes knows the complete value of PI to the endMemes knows the complete value of PI to the endMemes knows the complete value of PI to the endMemes knows the complete value of PI to the endMemes knows the complete value of PI to the endMemes knows the complete value of PI to the endMemes knows the complete value of PI to the endMemes knows the complete value of PI to the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
You can do this with k2pdfopt if you also install the Tesseract OCR portion of it:
Code:
See attachments as example. The -as applies auto-straighten since your image is slightly skewed.
Is the code you posted to be run from a command line in Linux? I am currently running Windows.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:01 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memes View Post
Is the code you posted to be run from a command line in Linux? I am currently running Windows.
Open a CMD window and use it to type in the command. You could also make a .bat file with the code using a text editor and then tap the bat file.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:47 PM   #6
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Or you can use the MS Windows GUI:

1. Under conversion mode, select "copy"
2. Check the autostraighten box
3. Check the OCR box
4. Uncheck the native output box
5. Set the output DPI as desired

if you do all this, the auto-generated command-line options should mostly look like what I put in my previous post.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:29 AM   #7
Memes

Thank you everyone very much for your help and your time I really appreciate it!
Old 05-01-2023, 04:52 PM   #8
unlocked2412
unlocked2412 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11
Thank you willus

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
Code:
Thank you @willus for this wonderful tool !!
unlocked2412 is offline   Reply With Quote