Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #121
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
... that 650MB image (which is described as being a "kernel" in the pastebin, but in fact it is _not_ a kernel but the root file system image). ...
I fixed the K3 descriptions in the pastebin. It now says:
Code:
K3 main images (no diags kernel or diags partition on K3):
  kernel 3.3: http://www.mediafire.com/?***
  mmcblk0p1 3.3: http://gitbrew.org/***mmcblk0p1***

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-25-2012 at 02:36 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #122
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRIUSDARK View Post
whit the first img the led turn on grenn but the screen dont show any change
The LED color cannot be trusted on a bricked kindle. Try the entire procedure again after a full battery charge, including flashing the kernel and mmcblk0p1. They are correctly labelled in the pastebin now.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #123
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Whereas I suggest starting with the rootfs/mmcblk0p1 - it might fix it already.

And @geekmaster: Thanks for the pastebin update!
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #124
SYRIUSDARK
SYRIUSDARK began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE 3 KEYBOARD
WOW.Finally work this tool raised up mi k3,it works normally,im grateful for receive a (helping) hands to solve this .
Thanks a lot.
SYRIUSDARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #125
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great, another success report :-)
Old 07-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #126
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Great, another success report :-)
I added that report to "the list" in the simple debricking sticky. I will add your tools to the References section too, as they become available. So far, only the ATK method is documented there. This thread first post is linked too, so any updates done there can be seen by following the link from the simple debricking sticky thread (or from the index wikis).

The plan is for all this stuff to become easier for all of us to find and to use (but especially for the noobs and the people who help them).

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-25-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #127
DROM
DROM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard/3G
Hi, my kindle 3 is bricked.
I followed the forum to get it repaired and so far I've failed. I am Spanish speaking, so I find it hard at times to translate the information provided, so forgive me in advance if any of what I say you are done (honestly, I read a lot so far).
Current situation:
The Kindle's 3 Keyboard 3G shows the Kindle's tree with the message: "Slide and release the power switch to wake". (Obviously, nothing happens when I press the power button).
Following the noob's guide for k3 unbricking (now in true spanish, thanks to @qlob idea and after a better translation than google's one), I was charging my Kindle in an wall charger for 3 days. the yellow light went out but I kept charging it, I never got the expected green light though to swapping often. Then I assumed my Kindle was really bricked.
I get to the same situation as @Woenk and @arooni: The USB resets itself after once and again.
When I try to debrick it, ATK version 1.67 (i.MX35_T02, MDDR, USB, Flash tool, Program with "read back" checked, using kernel.bin image (from the pastebin) at flash device MMC/SD with the Operation settings address as 0x00041000), after a message "Waiting for USB connection" and few seconds of Loading RAM Kernel, gives me the error: "Failed to initial flash or Do not support this Flash, please reset the target."
I'm using WMware virtualized WinXP, when I plug the USB, the virtualized system recognizes my Kindle as Jungo MX35 , then I think, the drivers are installed correctly...

So, what the hell I can do now? I'm stuck at this point.
I appreciate the help in advance.
Meanwhile continue charging the kindle in the wall charger again and again until it smokes or divine inspiration enlighten me (or preferably any of you)
DROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #128
hawhill
Wizard

For me, it always was a bit flakey at that point. When starting the RAM kernel, right after uploading it, the USB device will re-register. This point is probably not implemented very nice with regard to the Windows USB stack or the VM.

That said, I always had to "re-connect" the USB device to the VM manually at that point. The VM (though in my case VirtualBox) did not automatically lock into the new device.

You aren't running Linux underneath, aren't you? Because if so, I would encourage you to try k3flasher (there's a thread for it here). Hm, maybe I should finally provide compiled binaries for it. It has more informative status reporting and is maybe a bit more tolerant to timing stuff.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #129
DROM

Indeed, I am not running under linux, but under Win 7 64 bits. Anyway I have a VM installed with Ubuntu. I'll check the thread and see if I can launch the Kindle with the k3flasher.
On the other hand, I'll try also to reconnect the USB, although I am not clear at what point I have to do it. When the ATK says "waiting for the USB"? I think this option would not work because in this case, the device would be in fastboot mode, right? And if so, would appear on another ATK's error message that comes out when we do not enter fastboot "Connection error. Please, reset the board and make sure the board in bootstrap mode". (sorry if it's silly what I'm saying)
Old 08-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #130
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROM View Post
Indeed, I am not running under linux, but under Win 7 64 bits. ... When the ATK says "waiting for the USB"? ... "Connection error. Please, reset the board and make sure the board in bootstrap mode". ...
Win 7 64 bit can only work if you reboot and select the option to allow unsigned device drivers. You can use details provided in the "simple debricking" thread, success reports (look for the link with the "64-bit win 7" comment.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #131
DROM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Win 7 64 bit can only work if you reboot and select the option to allow unsigned device drivers. You can use details provided in the "simple debricking" thread, success reports (look for the link with the "64-bit win 7" comment.
Yes I know, but the problem I have is running ATK in a Windows XP SP3 on VMware. With XP I could solve the problem of drivers ((Windows 7 64 bit and authorizing drivers have not yet been run on ATK). @hawhill asked it because of the k3flasher method (I think so)
I'm reviewing at hawhill's unbricking procedure using the tool k3flasher from my vitualized Ubuntu, trying to keep the USB connection alive (my real problem) for flashing my bricked K3.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #132
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DROM View Post
Yes I know, but the problem I have is running ATK in a Windows XP SP3 on VMware. With XP I could solve the problem of drivers ((Windows 7 64 bit and authorizing drivers have not yet been run on ATK). @hawhill asked it because of the k3flasher method (I think so)
I'm reviewing at hawhill's unbricking procedure using the tool k3flasher from my vitualized Ubuntu, trying to keep the USB connection alive (my real problem) for flashing my bricked K3.
Your best bet is to use an Ubuntu live CD, then download and build from source k3flasher and libusbx. Virtualized USB connections never have worked too well (at least for me)....
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:00 PM   #133
cavorite
Enthusiast
cavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the end

Location: Milky Way galaxy, Orion-Cygnus arm, Sol-III, North America, USA, FL
Device: various iDevices
Has anyone found the "magic key" to put the dx/dxg in USB downloader mode? I've searched as best I can, and it seems the dx is currently recoverable only via the serial port. Please tell me I'm wrong about that.
cavorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #134
geekmaster

It appears that the ATK may support DX/DXG, but so far no magic key(s) discovered. It is possible that it uses a key combination, or some internal jumper. We just do not know yet...
Old 08-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #135
cavorite
Enthusiast
cavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the end

Location: Milky Way galaxy, Orion-Cygnus arm, Sol-III, North America, USA, FL
Device: various iDevices
Thanks GM.

Is https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=134637 the best info on serial port recovery?
cavorite is offline   Reply With Quote