Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-27-2018, 03:32 PM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
If your mom is reading library books, she can get a Kindle Oasis or Voyage. On the overdone site, there's a choice of downloading an adobe book or a Kindle book. I've done both and the Kindle book method is easier.
No Kindle eBooks via Overdrive in Canada. Only in the US.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:54 PM   #77
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
If your mom is reading library books, she can get a Kindle Oasis or Voyage. On the overdone site, there's a choice of downloading an adobe book or a Kindle book. I've done both and the Kindle book method is easier.
Since the OP is in Canada, that's not an option. Outside the USA, the library ebook borrowing option is epub with the occasional PDF.

Heck, you should hear some of the discussions here about using Amazon, Google or Microsoft datacentres where despite being stored in a Canadian datacentre, some of the packets may pass through the USA giving rise to privacy/security concerns. I'd like to say that they are paranoid but given the history of American judges not seeming to realize that outside the USA, they have no legal authority other than what is granted by international agreements, it's a hard point to argue.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2018, 05:35 PM   #78
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-300/Kindle Keyboard/iPad Mini
Took her to try out the Kobos

As expected, she felt the Kobo Aura One was too big (not heavy, big) to handle one-handed comfortably. She liked the H2O other than the lack of physical buttons but she still wants physical buttons if at all possible. Preferably, page turn buttons on the bottom, like the T2. On a side note, I was quite disappointed that, while the store would unbox readers so they could be held, they didn't have any set up for actual demo so that potential buyers could actually test out using them and see how the light worked.

Has anybody purchased through grooves.land before? They have a good price on the Pocketbook Touch HD and will ship to Canada. No one shipping to Canada seems to have the Touch HD 2 yet. I haven't been able to find a weight listed for the Nook Glowlight 3 and those page turn buttons would require some adjustment.
dcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:59 PM   #79
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcalder View Post
I haven't been able to find a weight listed for the Nook Glowlight 3 and those page turn buttons would require some adjustment.
If you check B&N Nook comparison page, it shows the Glowlight 3 at 196 grams (7.0 ounces). By comparison, the Kobo H2O2 is 207 grams (7.3 ounces) for a 6.8" screen with pretty close to the same physical size (176 x 127 x 8.8mm for the GL3 compared to 172 x 129 x 8.8 mm for the H2O2).

See Which NOOK® is Right for You? for more information on the GL3.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:55 PM   #80
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Has anyone installed the Overdrive or Libby apps on an Onyx Boox T76ML Carta+? It's a little more money than I'd hoped but does have a physical button that would work one-handed and it has a 6.8" screen like the H2O. It is heavier than the other options (though about the same as the 505 that she originally had years ago) but the convenience of using the app to download directly might be enough of a trade off to be worthwhile.
Advert
Old 01-28-2018, 09:59 PM   #81
dcalder
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you check B&N Nook comparison page, it shows the Glowlight 3 at 196 grams (7.0 ounces). By comparison, the Kobo H2O2 is 207 grams (7.3 ounces) for a 6.8" screen with pretty close to the same physical size (176 x 127 x 8.8mm for the GL3 compared to 172 x 129 x 8.8 mm for the H2O2).

See Which NOOK® is Right for You? for more information on the GL3.
I missed the comparison page when I looked at the B&N site. Thanks. Any idea if the Nook buttons can be programmed to determine which is forward and back? She likes to hold her reader in her left hand and turn pages with the same hand, which won't work too well with the positioning of the buttons unless the left button can be set to next page.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:10 PM   #82
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcalder View Post
I missed the comparison page when I looked at the B&N site. Thanks. Any idea if the Nook buttons can be programmed to determine which is forward and back? She likes to hold her reader in her left hand and turn pages with the same hand, which won't work too well with the positioning of the buttons unless the left button can be set to next page.
Each side of the bezel has both forward and backward buttons. By default the top buttons page forward and the bottom ones page back, but that order can be reversed (bottom buttons forward, top buttons back).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:24 PM   #83
dcalder
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Each side of the bezel has both forward and backward buttons. By default the top buttons page forward and the bottom ones page back, but that order can be reversed (bottom buttons forward, top buttons back).
Ah, okay. That sounds more like it. I think this will work for her. And if it doesn't, it's a lot less money spent than an Onyx would be. The Pocketbook Touch HD 2 still looks very interesting but availability seems pretty limited and I'm guessing it may be closer to the KA One or Onyx Boox in price when it does actually show up anywhere that will ship to Canada.

Off to see whether Amazon.ca has the Nook Glowlight 3 or if I'll have to hit eBay to find one...
Old 01-29-2018, 12:07 PM   #84
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Sounds like it might be a good fit. I was happy to discover that B&N has reconsidered their ridiculous disk-space scheme for side-loaded content. Still not enough to get me to buy one (very happy with my H2O) but more options is a good thing for the industry.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote