Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-30-2018, 05:35 PM   #91
JFeole
Connoisseur
JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo_Aura_H2O, Kobo_Aura_One, Kobo Sage
Tshering,

Just installed test 3, and tested. Nickel, KOReader, and CoolReader all
launched with proper orientation, and return with correct orientation back to KSM Home
screen.

Thank you!
JFeole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:42 AM   #92
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
boriar and nook_nerd,

thank you for repeated testing. I will give it some days and will then apply the changes to the main package. Maybe until then the rotation test package has been tried on some other models. For I would like to know for sure that the update will not worsen some things for any models.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:20 PM   #93
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Nice! I didn't realize that KSM 9 was there. Never had a rotation problem with KSM8. Will try to get to testing tomorrow or Friday on my H2O 1st gen. Are tests on Glo 1st gen also needed?

EDIT: Didn't notice last night that this thread is already 7 pages on its way. Is further testing still needed?

Last edited by Markismus; 02-01-2018 at 03:50 AM.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:12 PM   #94
taos
Connoisseur
taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Maybe until then the rotation test package has been tried on some other models. For I would like to know for sure that the update will not worsen some things for any models.
Seems to work fine on a Glo HD.
taos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:40 AM   #95
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
Nice! I didn't realize that KSM 9 was there. Never had a rotation problem with KSM8. Will try to get to testing tomorrow or Friday on my H2O 1st gen. Are tests on Glo 1st gen also needed?

EDIT: Didn't notice last night that this thread is already 7 pages on its way. Is further testing still needed?
Thank you for your offer. As for the H2O 1st gen, the tests done by boriar and nook_nerd are sufficient. For the Glo, I did the test myself.

I have now added a list of the models already tested at the top of the concerned post.

Last edited by tshering; 02-01-2018 at 05:02 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:41 AM   #96
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taos View Post
Seems to work fine on a Glo HD.
thank you.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:22 PM   #97
JFeole
Connoisseur
JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JFeole solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo_Aura_H2O, Kobo_Aura_One, Kobo Sage
Tshering,

Does this patch last patch need to be applied to the Kobo Aura One as well?

Thanks,
John Feole
JFeole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:37 AM   #98
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook_nerd View Post
Tshering,

Does this patch last patch need to be applied to the Kobo Aura One as well?

Thanks,
John Feole
My plan is to provide an update package that contains basically the changes of this patch for all those who have already installed KSM 09, and to update the main package for new users. The goal is that every KSM 09 user has the same version without regard of the model of the reader. I waited for some time to give users a chance to test the test package on devices that have not yet been tested and give some feedback. Maybe I wait till the weekend and will then publish the update, whether there was some feedback or not.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:36 PM   #99
tshering
Wizard

H2O2 (PRODUCT_ID=378, CPU=mx6sll)

Let us try whether this model works with the non-H202 touch driver. I don't know how likely this is, but it would be an easy solution.
  • [webinterface] press "kill KSM" in order to prevent nickel from automatically starting and get KSM out of the way.
  • [webinterface] Copy the non-h2o2 mouse/touch driver to the mousedrivers directory by executing
    Code:
    cp $ksmuser/copyrepos/libKoboTS.so $ksmroot/Qt/plugins/mousedrivers/
  • [webinterface] Set the non-h2o2 mouse driver; and start the menu by executing
    Code:
    export QWS_MOUSE_PROTO=KoboTS; $ksmroot/kobomenu.sh "a b c d e f"
  • [on the reader] Try whether you can select one of the options. If it works, you should see the selected line inverted, and the selected letter printed in the output field of the webinterface. (Even when it worked, the device will again be unresponsive, since after successfull selection, the application exits.)
  • [webinterface]Press "ksm power off" or "reboot"
If it did not work, you might consider deleting libKoboTS.so to save space on the system partition.

Last edited by tshering; 04-03-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:14 PM   #100
cvarrick
cvarrick doesn't littercvarrick doesn't litter

Device: Kobo H202
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Let us try whether this model works with the non-H202 touch driver
After enabling libKoboTS.so I can somewhat reliably trigger a touch on the footer arrow buttons if I imagine the display is rotated 180 - a touch in the top left corner seems to register on the bottom right "end" arrow.

I could not get a touch to register on the 'a b c d e f " list (no invert, no web interface output).

This is definitely a different behavior than the libKoboTS_h2o2.so driver where sometimes the "Up" button will invert a single time and then become unresponsive.

Last edited by cvarrick; 04-03-2018 at 06:22 PM.
cvarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:40 AM   #101
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvarrick View Post
After enabling libKoboTS.so I can somewhat reliably trigger a touch on the footer arrow buttons if I imagine the display is rotated 180 - a touch in the top left corner seems to register on the bottom right "end" arrow.

I could not get a touch to register on the 'a b c d e f " list (no invert, no web interface output).

This is definitely a different behavior than the libKoboTS_h2o2.so driver where sometimes the "Up" button will invert a single time and then become unresponsive.
Thank you for testing. I guess we have to ask Sergey for a new driver.
One thing you could try is to increase the options list ('a b c d e f g h' and so on) so that each point of the screen should be responsive to touch.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:11 PM   #102
tshering
Wizard

H2O2v2 (PRODUCT_ID=378, CPU=mx6sll), testing the touch driver, second trial

Let us try whether H2o2v2 works with the non-H2o2 touch driver.

Since KSM cannot yet enable usbnet on this model, you have to use the webinterface with wifi (see the first post of this thread). Once you see the webinterface in your browser do the following
  • [webinterface] press "kill KSM" in order to prevent nickel from automatically starting and get KSM out of the way. Nickel is starting after around 20 seconds after the KSM home screen appears, so you have to hurry.
  • [webinterface] Copy the non-h2o2 mouse/touch driver to the mousedrivers directory by executing
    Code:
    cp $ksmuser/copyrepos/libKoboTS.so $ksmroot/Qt/plugins/mousedrivers/
  • [webinterface] Set the non-h2o2 mouse driver; and start the menu by executing
    Code:
    export ksmrotate=2 mrotation=90 QWS_MOUSE_PROTO=KoboTS;$ksmroot/kobomenu.sh "a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z"
  • [on the reader] Try whether you can select one of the options. If it works, you should see the selected line inverted, and the selected letter printed in the output field of the webinterface. (Even when it worked, the device will again be unresponsive, since after successfull selection, the application exits.) Repeat this step several times and select different options.
  • [webinterface]Press "ksm power off" or "reboot"

Last edited by tshering; 04-09-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:03 AM   #103
0xDEADBEAF
0xDEADBEAF began at the beginning.

Device: h2o version 2
Hello I'm new to e-readers. I buyed an h2o2 and wasn't satisfied by the PDF view mode. [completely useless ]

Now I want get koreader workin. I have some experience in computer science (since im studying it ) but not especially in shell / bash. What works now is the KSM 09 (without touch and via the wifi-webinterface).

If I do above steps the touch gets recognised:
- The bottom buttons respond if i touch them.
- The items don't respond.
- The scrolling doesnt work.
- The animations on the buttons is kind of strange. (See video)

If you want see a short demo of that: VID_20180502_0836221.mp4

Is there a way to get Koreader working without the responding touch screen? My folder structure is now "/.adds/koreader/...". That should be correct right? If i press "Start koreader" on the webinterface it asks for shutdown wifi... I can't do anything else than rebooting the device then.

Edited:
I forgot to write that I'm working on the update 1 since I don't understand how to install update 2. if place the global.tgz onto the device nothing happens. Can you help me with that?

Last edited by 0xDEADBEAF; 05-02-2018 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Forgot something :)
0xDEADBEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:32 AM   #104
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xDEADBEAF View Post
Hello I'm new to e-readers. I buyed an h2o2 and wasn't satisfied by the PDF view mode. [completely useless ]

Now I want get koreader workin. I have some experience in computer science (since im studying it ) but not especially in shell / bash. What works now is the KSM 09 (without touch and via the wifi-webinterface).

If I do above steps the touch gets recognised:
- The bottom buttons respond if i touch them.
- The items don't respond.
- The scrolling doesnt work.
- The animations on the buttons is kind of strange. (See video)

If you want see a short demo of that: VID_20180502_0836221.mp4

Is there a way to get Koreader working without the responding touch screen? My folder structure is now "/.adds/koreader/...". That should be correct right? If i press "Start koreader" on the webinterface it asks for shutdown wifi... I can't do anything else than rebooting the device then.

Edited:
I forgot to write that I'm working on the update 1 since I don't understand how to install update 2. if place the global.tgz onto the device nothing happens. Can you help me with that?
Welcome to the forum and thank you for trying KSM on the H2o2v2. Your test seems to confirm that we need a new touch driver. KSM is using the touch drivers provided by the pbchess package. Could you please contact the author of pbchess and offer him to do some tests so that he can make the necessary changes to the driver? You can contact him on his forum.

Did you try whether you can still (after having installed KSM) connect from within nickel by usb to your pc and copy files? If (and only if) you can, I would suggest the following:
  • rename the folder kbmenu_user (in the .adds folder), this will disable KSM, so that you have a normally working device
  • install pbchess
  • contact the author of pbchess (once there is a new driver available, I will do the necessary modifications in KSM)

If you cannot connect to pc from within nickel, do not disable KSM at the moment.

EDIT: It just came to me mind, that it might possibly be saver to keep KSM and to start pbchess by command line from the webinterface for testing.

As for Koreader, KSM checks whether wifi is on only after Koreader has exited. Your description suggests that Koreader does immediately exit after beeing started. There should be an error log in the koreader folder. The reason for exiting might be something as simple as koreader not recognising the model number of the H202 Edition 2, Version 2, and therefore exiting. I do not know how koreader is dealing with unknown models.

Unless you have also a H202 Edition 2 (Version 1), your device information in the signature is a bit misleading, since you have a H202 Edition 2, Version 2. Mention this please also to the author of pbchess, and in similar cases. Otherwise there might arise some misunderstandings.

Last edited by tshering; 05-02-2018 at 05:17 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:56 AM   #105
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
For the moment KOReader just writes something like "unrecognized model: <insert codename>" to crash.log and exits.

@0xDEADBEAF: On the H2Ov2 you'll need a recent KOReader release like https://github.com/koreader/koreader...018.04.12-beta

Also see https://github.com/koreader/koreader...n-Kobo-devices

Edit: but I just noticed there's talk of an H2O2v2? In that case the obvious thing to try is changing this line in frontend/device/kobo/device.lua.

Just replace "snow" by whatever the H2O2v2 will have written in crash.log and let me know what happens, as well as the relevant code name.

Edit 2: apologies, I just noticed above that apparently that strategy isn't working out for KSM? In any case it's still worth a try I suppose.

Anyway, KOReader discussion should be taken either to the KOReader forum or an issue on GitHub because otherwise it'd pollute this thread: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues

Last edited by Frenzie; 05-02-2018 at 05:58 AM.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote