Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Amazon Raising Price on Monthly Prime Plan

Amazon is raising the price of Prime monthly memberships by nearly 20 percent

Quote:
Amazon Prime memberships are getting more expensive for those customers who want the flexibility to pay for the speedy shipping and media streaming program on a monthly basis.

The company is announcing on Friday that the Amazon Prime monthly fee is increasing from $10.99 to $12.99 in the U.S., an increase of 18 percent. The new price works out to nearly $156 a year.
Quote:
The price of Amazon’s monthly Prime program for students, which just launched this past fall, is also jumping 18 percent — from $5.49 to $6.49.

At the same time, the cost of a monthly Prime Video membership, which doesn’t include shipping benefits, will remain at $8.99; the monthly Prime membership option for customers on government assistance will also remain unchanged at $5.99.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Amazon Prime monthly membership fee is increasing by 18%

Here's an interesting comment from this article:

Quote:
Dave says:
January 19, 2018 at 10:38 am

Amazon paid me to take a survey earlier this month that was all about Prime price increases. Based on the survey, I think the yearly plan will soon go up as well. They seemed to also be thinking about launching different tiers of Prime at different price points. Cheaper plan for shipping benefits only, removing Music and/or Video from the standard plan, and creating a more expensive plan that is all-inclusive like the current service.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:55 PM   #3
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
As I only use the shipping benefits I would go for that as a less expensive plan. Is social security considered government assistance?
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
As I only use the shipping benefits I would go for that as a less expensive plan. Is social security considered government assistance?
Food stamps.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
As I only use the shipping benefits I would go for that as a less expensive plan. ...
Semantics.

The "just shipping" will go up by $10, and all the other stuff will add another $10. So yes, the "just shipping" plan will be less than the "all inclusive" plan.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:42 AM   #6
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Currently in Singapore as they just started prime they are charging around $3 for prime I subscribed just for the Amazon prime video but the selection is not good enough for me to keep it specially as I am already paying for netflix. 2 hour delivery is nice but prices are not competitive enough to be worth it.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:14 AM   #7
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
If I wanted Just Shipping, I would add myself back onto my husband's Prime account instead of maintaining my own. I started my own Prime because I wanted to keep our books and music separated.

I know I'm not using all of the benefits, but I honestly don't know which ones I'm not using and which things aren't actually part of Prime. If they had tiers, I could figure that out and maybe get a lower package, especially since I'm not interested in the shipping part of it and would happily give up that option if it meant a lower annual cost for the rest.

On the other hand, if the annual fee goes up any more, I will most likely give it up -- as much as I enjoy having access to all the books, videos and music that Amazon includes, I don't think that I use it enough to justify even what I'm paying now.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:28 PM   #8
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
My brother has the Prime plan and I'm a subprime. My primary benefits are shipping, but I also have been able to get other deals such as when they offer really great deals for Prime members (that's how I got the Echo in the first place). I have a kindle registered to his account for the book benefit since he no longer reads, but, I also have access to his account to add the book - can't do it from my account. In addition, since our accounts are linked as a 'family', I can switch accounts on the Echo and listen to any music available to a prime member (which is everything still). So there are some options if you have to give up your Prime membership and link to your hubby's account. And yeah, you won't get the separate video service.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:03 AM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
My brother has the Prime plan and I'm a subprime. My primary benefits are shipping, but I also have been able to get other deals such as when they offer really great deals for Prime members (that's how I got the Echo in the first place). I have a kindle registered to his account for the book benefit since he no longer reads, but, I also have access to his account to add the book - can't do it from my account. In addition, since our accounts are linked as a 'family', I can switch accounts on the Echo and listen to any music available to a prime member (which is everything still). So there are some options if you have to give up your Prime membership and link to your hubby's account. And yeah, you won't get the separate video service.
I'm sorry if I missed something. But I have linked my non-Prime account to my wife's Prime account and as far as I know, I have access to all the prime benefits. Including Prime video. Amazon's site says I am entitled to it. I haven't actually tried Prime video under my own account since the TV is already linked to her account and we don't watch on any other device.

As for adding books, you should be able to link your libraries. Though I don't know if there is a way to automatically share books purchased on one account with the other. I think you have to do it manually, book by book. That's another thing I rarely have to do. I wind up buying all the books and if we share, I do it via sideloading from Calibre.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:10 PM   #10
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I believe Prime is still $100 a year. I usually ship 80 to 100 items a year. (Amazon keeps track.)

I am starting to get mad about the complexities of the "addons," but a little planning takes care of most problems.

And after the free quick shipping, you get the other benefits also. An Amazing deal, the best around!
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:57 AM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I believe Prime is still $100 a year. I usually ship 80 to 100 items a year. (Amazon keeps track.)

I am starting to get mad about the complexities of the "addons," but a little planning takes care of most problems.

And after the free quick shipping, you get the other benefits also. An Amazing deal, the best around!
I pay the yearly rate as well. I'm 100% about the shipping. There is very little that is available on the free tier of Prime Video that I'm actually interested in and don't already have. Same for the books and music.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote