Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2017, 05:18 AM   #1
KipPrdy
KipPrdy will become famous soon enoughKipPrdy will become famous soon enoughKipPrdy will become famous soon enoughKipPrdy will become famous soon enoughKipPrdy will become famous soon enoughKipPrdy will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo
Aura One - Terrible Quality Control?

The Kobo Aura One is by far the best e-reader I've used. But it's terribly let down by the QC. I'm wondering how it can be so bad:

Of the five I've used, only two worked as they should.

First one worked great for a couple weeks, then the screen froze and it was dead, never to return to life.

Two have light issues:

In one, even at the end of the night slider, the light is very yellow, as opposed to the nice red it should go to (as it does in the others); in the other, the light has the right color, but there is totally, distractingly uneven, with big dark shadows covering the lower corners.

(Even more annoying, customer service just told me to reset it, and that would solve all my problems. I wonder if I was communicating with a chatbot. Sure felt like it. Generally does when I chat with most customer service reps, which is why I always try to email, thought it's less and less an option.)

Two have worked just as they should with no issues so far.

I don't get how it can be that bad. Still.

I want to give these as gifts. I want to send one to a friend in Australia, for example. But I can't just order it from a retailer there and have it sent. Rather, I have to have shipped to me in the US, where I am now, make sure it works properly, then send it along. It's already not cheap, and that just adds too much to the expense.

With a defect rate as high as it is, it seems they need to have someone physically inspect each screen before it goes out. That would surely be cheaper than paying the shipping for all the returns, having so many duds, and giving so many customers bad experiences.
KipPrdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:35 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by KipPrdy View Post
I want to give these as gifts. I want to send one to a friend in Australia, for example. But I can't just order it from a retailer there and have it sent. Rather, I have to have shipped to me in the US, where I am now, make sure it works properly, then send it along. It's already not cheap, and that just adds too much to the expense.
I'm not going to comment on the quality control, but if you are buying for someone in Australia, you might be better to get if here. If there is a problem, they can take it back to the shop and exchange it. If you buy it and send it to them, they will need to either go back to you or deal with Kobo directly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:58 AM   #3
KipPrdy
KipPrdy will become famous soon enoughKipPrdy will become famous soon enoughKipPrdy will become famous soon enoughKipPrdy will become famous soon enoughKipPrdy will become famous soon enoughKipPrdy will become famous soon enough

That's the problem - I want to send it as a gift. Obvious way would be to just have it shipped from J&B. Problem is, I have no idea what she, the recipient, will actually get.

Since she's unfamiliar with them, will she know that the light shouldn't be that shade (yellow)? Or have shadows?

Of the five Auro Ones I've had so far, three have been defective. Would I be giving a nice gift or just a headache?

I just really don't get why they don't have someone checking the screens before they go out. Given the defect rate, it would sure be cheaper than the returns.

That said, when you've got one that's not defective, the Aura One is far and way the best reader going. It's really just a QC issue.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:18 AM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
That's the problem - I want to send it as a gift. Obvious way would be to just have it shipped from J&B. Problem is, I have no idea what she, the recipient, will actually get.

Since she's unfamiliar with them, will she know that the light shouldn't be that shade (yellow)? Or have shadows?

Of the five Auro Ones I've had so far, three have been defective. Would I be giving a nice gift or just a headache?

I just really don't get why they don't have someone checking the screens before they go out. Given the defect rate, it would sure be cheaper than the returns.

That said, when you've got one that's not defective, the Aura One is far and way the best reader going. It's really just a QC issue.
Maybe you should just give an H2O2 instead. Is the Aura ONE so much nicer that it's worth the headache?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:02 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

The problem is what if something goes wrong after she gets it? If it has been bought locally, it is under the local consumer protection laws. All she has to do is take it back to the shop and exchange it. Same goes of there is a problem with the screen. You can describe what to look for and she can decide what she thinks of the screen she gets.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:13 AM   #6
Taner
Taner began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Is the Aura ONE so much nicer that it's worth the headache?
YES
Taner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:23 AM   #7
Wolfsbruder
Connoisseur
Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma, Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Maybe you should just give an H2O2 instead. Is the Aura ONE so much nicer that it's worth the headache?
For my needs, as things are progressing... it's not just that it's nicer, It weighs less, has a larger screen (and in the case of the limited edition, has actually decent sized storage). As far as storage goes, I actually need a lot of storage space on any given day, without a micro sdhc slot none of Kobo's current offerings are that useful to me. With the limited edition, I have the storage to go with really really light weight and a large screen.
Wolfsbruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:01 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
What David said.
Better yet, if you are that worried, send her the money and let her go to the shop herself.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:25 AM   #9
KipPrdy

It's borderline as to whether it's worth the trouble. Yes, it really is that much better. Both for me, and for a couple people I've given these two, it changes how we read. Size matters. I read that a study found retention is higher with a larger screen.

It just feels right. And having a softer light than the glaring white of my Kindle Paperwhite makes a huge difference, as well.

I guess I could just send her the money. That's lovely way to surprise someone with a gift: Um... here... here's some cash. Go buy yourself a present... Let me know if it's defective.

Yeah.

My point, though, is that with a bit of QC, this would blow everything else on the market away. Seems like it would also save money even on existing sales.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:33 AM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's borderline as to whether it's worth the trouble. Yes, it really is that much better. Both for me, and for a couple people I've given these two, it changes how we read. Size matters. I read that a study found retention is higher with a larger screen.

It just feels right. And having a softer light than the glaring white of my Kindle Paperwhite makes a huge difference, as well.

I guess I could just send her the money. That's lovely way to surprise someone with a gift: Um... here... here's some cash. Go buy yourself a present... Let me know if it's defective.

Yeah.

My point, though, is that with a bit of QC, this would blow everything else on the market away. Seems like it would also save money even on existing sales.
With electronic presents going to be used in a foreign country that is really the best way. You could also do something nice with the cash. As in put it in a small gift.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:52 AM   #11
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I was going to make a joke about how I keep hearing that size matters, but now I'm not going to.

Quote:
And having a softer light than the glaring white of my Kindle Paperwhite makes a huge difference, as well.
The ONE and the H202 both have the color shifting front light.

Quote:
That I completely agree with. I think the ONE is a big black-eye to Kobo. The fact that even the new, limited edition model has the same flaws is just unforgivable. Kobo needs to shut down ONE production and get the issue fixed once and for all.

Selling their flagship product in a state where people are afraid to give it as a gift says a lot.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I was going to make a joke about how I keep hearing that size matters, but now I'm not going to.
There's a newish thread on MR about 12". Put your comment in there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:51 AM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There's a newish thread on MR about 12". Put your comment in there.
I messaged him the link.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:53 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I messaged him the link.
Was it a 12" link?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Was it a 12" link?
Probably closer to 6.