Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
What would you suggest for HTML->epub?

Hey all,

I wanted to get some suggestions on converting HTML to epub.

Before you say "Just use calibre", I've given that a shot and don't entirely like the results. I find that calibre tries to be intelligent about taking all kinds of messy source and converting that to something fairly readable. It therefore ends up reformatting things I had specified in my source.

I prefer to keep as much of my own HTML+CSS as possible.

What I want the tool to do is take my HTML, break it up into sections (by chapter and by length), create the table of contents, and possibly create a title page using a picture I specify, then create the manifest and do the zipping. Basically all the boring stuff other than markup.

What's the best choice? I did have some success with Sigil a while back, but it had some stability and feature completeness issues at that time. I've looked at it again recently, and it seems to have grown in complexity but the basics of editing the source code and previewing the results don't seem to have become any faster or more convenient.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
Kino
Enthusiast
Kino began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook
You could give Jutoh a try - I've had some good results using my own html files.
Kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Caveat: I'm working on fiction, with nothing special for formatting.

My html is created from rtf files using OpenOffice. Then I've been using 'tidy' with a short config file:

Code:
add-xml-decl: yes
clean: yes
doctype: strict
drop-font-tags: yes
logical-emphasis: yes
output-xhtml: yes
char-encoding: utf8
That creates classes and a <style> section in the header - which I promptly delete and replace with a link to my stylesheet.css file. Then I use vim (or sed) to
Code:
1,$s/<p class.*">/<p>/
to get rid of the class references.

Then I run it through quoter to make curly quotes where required.

Then I massage with vim to fix any other typos I've missed. The rest of my process is pretty much like yours.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:34 AM   #4
eping
ePub Maker
eping began at the beginning.

Device: iPad,Kindle 3, Nook 2
You may take a glance on ePub Maker(http://www.epingsoft.com).
It can do most work you need, except breaking a big HTML into parts till now.
It's still in beta, a new version will be released by this month end.
eping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:27 AM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
If you are happy enough to create your own html & css, then why not do the remainder of the epub wrapper and then zip it up ....

The mobileread wiki (see link in my sig line) provides enough detail to get started. Once you've done it the 'long way round' it becomes logical to do.....and gives you full control over the contents .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 07:26 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
... and you'd not be alone
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Thanks for the suggestions... I will try out Jutoh and ePub Maker.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
Grierson Huffman
Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Grierson Huffman is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Too many!
If your files conform to the appropriate XHTML specification, then eCub (see URL below) could prove to be useful in compiling the EPUB.

http://www.juliansmart.com/ecub
Grierson Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:28 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I simply make up my own metadata.opf and toc.ncx. Simply put them in a correct folder structure, zip it and I've my own generated epub.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:48 AM   #10
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote