Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #16
Pinchart
Pinchart began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hi!
As a newbie, I don't understand where to put files Frotz.zip, Frotz-12-13-2013.zip and QtFrotz-src.zip. Could you precise? Y have a Kobo Aura HD. When I open Frotz, I get a black screen. I suppose I have to open a game, but where can I find one?
Thanks a lot.
Patrick
Pinchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #17
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchart View Post
Hi!
As a newbie, I don't understand where to put files Frotz.zip, Frotz-12-13-2013.zip and QtFrotz-src.zip. Could you precise? Y have a Kobo Aura HD. When I open Frotz, I get a black screen. I suppose I have to open a game, but where can I find one?
Thanks a lot.
Patrick
See post #5 for a link to games. See post #1 for instructions on installing the program that reads Interactive Games, in some of the formats that they come in.

The classic IA games are text descriptions of an environment, where you are expected to type in commands to interact with the described environment, changing it in some way. (Zork1 is a good example, it is available through the link in post #5) The black box is where the descriptions appear. There is a bar under the box for you to enter your commands.

You will need to select the version of the game that matches the description of games supported by the version of Frotz that you downloaded.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 12-21-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2013, 03:49 AM   #18
Pinchart
Pinchart began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Unfortunately, I'm blocked. I don't know if it's due to the install of the program, but my Kobo is blocked on a page "welcome to cool reader". The exit function in the menu always come back to that page. The Kobo is not recognized anymore by my computer. No way to reset it is working. Any idea to quit the program and go back to the main menu of the Kobo?
Pinchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #19
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchart View Post
Unfortunately, I'm blocked. I don't know if it's due to the install of the program, but my Kobo is blocked on a page "welcome to cool reader". The exit function in the menu always come back to that page. The Kobo is not recognized anymore by my computer. No way to reset it is working. Any idea to quit the program and go back to the main menu of the Kobo?
How did you get to Coolreader? Did you create a Frotz menu item?

Have you tried poking at the very top of the display? That should give you a dropdown menu with a "Close" selection.

Luck;
Ken
Old 02-19-2016, 09:30 AM   #20
TazX
TazX began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Hey BigBoot, this is the first thing I looked for. Nice work, are you basing your code on this?
https://github.com/sussman/zvm/blob/master/README

Looking forward to playing some games
TazX is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #21
the_doc
Connoisseur
the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Hanlin v3; Kobo Mini
Is there a list of games that work well with this? I mean, without crashes and until the end.

EDIT:
I answer myself.
I have started several games just to check if they work. It seems that file types z5 and z8 are supported. I guess z3 too.
File type zblorb crashes the app and the ereader. You get an error message but not way to exit the app, so your only way out is pushing the turn off button for more than 10 seconds and restart.
Above somebody said that colour graphics crashes the app too, so it is necessary to look for a black and white version of the game if available.

Last edited by the_doc; 02-13-2017 at 04:31 PM.
the_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:35 PM   #22
emacsomancer
emacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O (1st edn), Xiaomi InkPalm 5
If I've got Kobo Start Menu 08 installed on my Kobo device, do I still KoboLauncher to install (Q)Frotz? If so, is there a link to instructions for installing KoboLauncher into KSM8?
emacsomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:49 PM   #23
Ken Maltby
Wizard

The install guides in the KOReader forum should still cover that. At least a link to the Pbchess Kobo download.

http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/en/index.html

Basically, you just put the vlasovsoft folder into your .adds folder.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-12-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:31 PM   #24
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacsomancer View Post
If I've got Kobo Start Menu 08 installed on my Kobo device, do I still KoboLauncher to install (Q)Frotz? If so, is there a link to instructions for installing KoboLauncher into KSM8?
I upload here a package that installs QFrotz to be started from KSM 08 directly.
  • extract KoboRoot.tgz from the uploaded archive and copy it to .kobo of your device
  • eject the device and disable usb
  • select "handle update" > "install update"

You can start Frotz by: (ksm home) "user srcipts" > "frotz ksm.sh"

Edit: For KSM 09 use the package attached to this thread.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Frotz-12-13-2013_ksm.zip (216.7 KB, 400 views)

Last edited by tshering; 03-10-2019 at 04:05 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:18 PM   #25
emacsomancer
emacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toysemacsomancer shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O (1st edn), Xiaomi InkPalm 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
The install guides in the KOReader forum should still cover that. At least a link to the Pbchess Kobo download.

http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/en/index.html

Basically, you just put the vlasovsoft folder into your .adds folder.
Thanks, Ken. I'll check that out also for installing other bits. I'm sometimes uncertain what instructions are out-of-date and which still work.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I upload here a package that installs QFrotz to be started from KSM 08 directly.
You can start Frotz by: (ksm home) "user srcipts" > "frotz ksm.sh"
Many thanks, Tshering. I got it installed and it works exactly as described. I've discovered that it doesn't like .z3 files, but .z5 and (most?) .z8 work.

Cheers!

Very cool to be able to play these old text adventures on my "book".
emacsomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:55 PM   #26
Nemo1984
Connoisseur
Nemo1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Unfortunately, QtFrotz is not working anymore with PBchess launcher 2017-10-18. It just returns a screen with Failed to start application.

Frotz might now be dead for those with only PBchess.
Nemo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:56 AM   #27
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo1984 View Post
Unfortunately, QtFrotz is not working anymore with PBchess launcher 2017-10-18. It just returns a screen with Failed to start application.

Frotz might now be dead for those with only PBchess.
I've added Frotz to the latest test build

http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/files/test/

please try.
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:24 PM   #28
Nemo1984
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyvl12 View Post
I've added Frotz to the latest test build

http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/files/test/

please try.
I will test it as soon as I return home.

Thank you!
Old 10-20-2017, 03:59 PM   #29
Ken Maltby
Wizard

It works fine on my AuraHD. Good to see you Sergey.

Luck;
Ken
Old 10-20-2017, 04:58 PM   #30
Nemo1984
Connoisseur

Yeah, I figured out I forgot to put back frotz.sh, I just copied the folder. Thanks!