Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-04-2011, 01:18 AM   #1
Fayt
Fayt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Kobo vox charger

Hi, was wondering if I need to use the default wall charger for the kobo vox? As I am living in Singapore and the voltage is different from U.S so I am afraid if I bought kobo vox, I am not able to charge it in my own country..
Fayt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:34 AM   #2
blacknirvana
Connoisseur
blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

I asked a similar question earlier as I am Danish.

You should write what the voltage etc. is in Singapore maybe someone that knows more about this kind a stuff can answer you
blacknirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
Yes and no. Only the Kobo charger will be recognized by the device so that it actually shows charging status. But any 5v 2a charger will charge the battery.

The charger accepts 110-240V input.
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Singapore uses 230V at 50Hz, but you've got a different plug and socket type. The charger won't need any sort of voltage conversion, but you'll need an adapter to plug it in. You should be able to grab an adapter like that at any sort of electronic or travel oriented shop.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
trek790
Enthusiast
trek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheese

Yep, I'm in SG and this is what I am planning on doing. I have quite a few items from NA and so far no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftheworld View Post
Singapore uses 230V at 50Hz, but you've got a different plug and socket type. The charger won't need any sort of voltage conversion, but you'll need an adapter to plug it in. You should be able to grab an adapter like that at any sort of electronic or travel oriented shop.
trek790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
louden77
louden77 began at the beginning.

Country specific charger "prongs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftheworld View Post
Just found a company (US) that sells the individual country specific adapter "plates" or a set of international "plates". The price is very reasonable but shipping is $8 via USPS. I ordered late Friday and hope hope items arrive before we leave for Australia in early Jan. A link to the appropriate catalog page is below.

http://ca.mouser.com/catalog/catalogCAD/644/2179.pdf
louden77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
teknoteach
teknoteach will become famous soon enoughteknoteach will become famous soon enoughteknoteach will become famous soon enoughteknoteach will become famous soon enoughteknoteach will become famous soon enoughteknoteach will become famous soon enough

I have not been able to get my Vox to charge with anything except the stock adapter. I have a 2.1A charging brick (my iPad charger) and a USB cable to connect to my vox. Output is 5V, 2.1A. My Vox does not recognize it. with such a short battery life I need to have a charging option at work and I don't want to carry my charger back and forth. Anyone have ones that work?
teknoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
If you search this forum, you'll find all your answers. If you don't want to search, here it is in a nutshell:

A 2 amp usb charger will work, but the battery indicator needs the Vox charger and cable to update, so you won't get a true indication of the battery level unless you reboot after charging.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #9
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Hey Teknoteach,

I bought http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Techno...178282-1679670 which works to charge the Vox, only the software doesn't recognise it's being charged. You need to press the reset button inside the back panel in order to reset the software battery monitor.

I've often plugged my Vox in, using the 3rd party charger linked above, with about 20% battery left prior to bed, read/surfed for an hour, then left it to charge in standby all night. In the morning, pressed the reset button and the battery status was 100% and properly followed the discharge during the day.

Many discussions about 3rd party chargers here ----> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...37#post1807137
and here ----> https://getsatisfaction.com/kobo/topics/charger_for_vox

Cheers and good luck.

Last edited by Kboland; 02-28-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:31 AM   #10
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
One thing you can take a look at, my Blackberry, Nook STR, and Vox all have interchangeable power/usb cords. If you can find a BB charger for your country, you should be in business.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #11
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Did you mean the BB Playbook charger? My BlackBerry phone charger is not 2 amps which is what is required for the Vox... It is only a 700mA charger and will not charge a vox. Most tablet chargers would be 2 amps and assuming the tip were a micro-usb could work but would not allow the battery indicator to update to the correct charge. The Vox has a proprietary micro-usb which is required for that. The reset button behind the back cover has to be pressed to show correct battery level if charged with a different charger.
I have used an iPad charger with a detachable BB usb cable with success.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 03-01-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #12
BWinmill
Nameless Being

That charger that shipped with my Vox will work in Singapore and the US.

Most devices will tell you 'where' they work. If it says 110-230 V, you only need an adapter for the socket. If it says 110 V or 230 V, you will need a transformer and an adapter for the socket. Very few digital devices care about the 50/60 Hz bit these days.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
I was actually referring to my BB phone, but I think BWinmill has a more complete answer than mine anyway.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #14
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Again, the key thing is it's a 2 amp charger. A blackberry playbook charger will be. A blackberry phone one won't be.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #15
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Hey all,

I just picked up this on the weekend, and guess what! It charges the Vox as well. It was at a Canadian Lowes location @ $19.99.

Yet another 3rd party charger that works with the Vox. I'm thinking it's high time Kobo dealt with the issue and changed the firmware to allow these chargers to be properly tracked.

Cheers
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote