Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #16
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Was there an episode last night? On wikipedia it said that the new ep wouldn't air for a few days.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #17
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Was there an episode last night? On wikipedia it said that the new ep wouldn't air for a few days.
It was last night. Every Sunday.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Episode 2, The Kingsroad, aired last night. If you missed it (and don't have DVR) it'll re-air a few times this week or is available on HBO Go for HBO subscribers (if that's available in Canada).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #19
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
Nyssa, all I can say is that it leads to a lot of very interesting things, between the dominoes falling, and the way Bran responds to it.

I was expecting that, so it didn't upset me so much. The scene that bothered me more was the second-to-last one, where Daenerys was taken by Drogo so roughly.

I'm not going to be persnickety about being true to the book on most things, but I don't understand why they did it that way on the show when, in the book, he spent so much time being gentle with her, until she was totally seduced and told him she wanted him to...

The way they did it just seems to be needlessly inflammatory, since we already had people protesting this sort of thing. They're oversensitive, IMO, but why portray him as being a brute, when he really wasn't, afaicr.
I didn't find the scene itself all that objectionable, though it wasn't a spot on representation. I figured it was partly an effort to appeal to the under 30 set and partly an effort to condense the equivalent of several pages of text scattered about the book into a single scene. That being said, they needed something to put it into context.

I had more problem with some of the casting. Most of the 'kids' were too old. I've just started the series of books, so I hope the story line will allow the actors to 'grow' into a more age appropriate role in the story.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #20
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I didn't find the scene itself all that objectionable, though it wasn't a spot on representation. I figured it was partly an effort to appeal to the under 30 set and partly an effort to condense the equivalent of several pages of text scattered about the book into a single scene. That being said, they needed something to put it into context.
It bothered me because it sold Drogo short, but last night's episode made me feel a lot better about it.

Quote:
I had more problem with some of the casting. Most of the 'kids' were too old. I've just started the series of books, so I hope the story line will allow the actors to 'grow' into a more age appropriate role in the story.
I've wondered about this too. (Remember Lost's "Walt"?)

Trying to calculate how much time has passed between the start of the SoIaF series and the end of the 4th/5th books makes my head split, but I think it's only 3-4 years.

If you haven't read the books you won't want to look at this, because there are major spoilers, but they put together a very detailed timeline here:
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php...obal-timeline/

I understand the need to cast older actors where they could. Kids grow and change so much from 9-14/16.

The actress who plays Arya is actually just turned 14, and the one who plays Sansa is still 13 (as is her character).

The actors for Jon, Rob, and Bran actors are older too. I think the actor who plays Bran is also 14 - but only 10? in the show. (Script says 8, but i thought he answered 10 when Robert asked him.)

The actress who plays Daenerys is 23, but she's passing ok as a teen, I think. They had to have an adult in that role, anyway.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 10:19 PM   #21
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
It bothered me because it sold Drogo short, but last night's episode made me feel a lot better about it.

I've wondered about this too. (Remember Lost's "Walt"?)

Trying to calculate how much time has passed between the start of the SoIaF series and the end of the 4th/5th books makes my head split, but I think it's only 3-4 years.

If you haven't read the books you won't want to look at this, because there are major spoilers, but they put together a very detailed timeline here:
http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php...obal-timeline/

I understand the need to cast older actors where they could. Kids grow and change so much from 9-14/16.

The actress who plays Arya is actually just turned 14, and the one who plays Sansa is still 13 (as is her character).

The actors for Jon, Rob, and Bran actors are older too. I think the actor who plays Bran is also 14 - but only 10? in the show. (Script says 8, but i thought he answered 10 when Robert asked him.)

The actress who plays Daenerys is 23, but she's passing ok as a teen, I think. They had to have an adult in that role, anyway.
holy guacamole! I would have guessed the Arya actress at 9 or 10 and the Sansa actress at 16!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
(Script says 8, but i thought he answered 10 when Robert asked him.)
In the book a lot of the kids are a couple years younger than they are mentioned to be on the show.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:56 PM   #23
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

'Game of Thrones' ages up for HBO...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11107...id=radiotv.xml

Quote:
Even some of the older characters were "aged," including star Sean Bean, who is in his early 50s.

"I think it's funny because I had pictured Sean Bean as Ned from the very beginning and it was relatively late in the game for me after probably having read the book twice that I realized that Ned Stark is supposed to be 35 years old in the book," Mr. Weiss said.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:11 PM   #24
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
holy guacamole! I would have guessed the Arya actress at 9 or 10 and the Sansa actress at 16!
I know! I had to go look it up to make sure. lol

Sophie Turner (Sansa) was 13 when she was cast, but that was a year and a half ago. She actually turned 15 on February 21.

Maisie Williams (Arya) really is 14 though. She just turned 14 a few days before the premier, but still.

I'm trying to find a link for Isaac, who plays Bran. I know i read he was 14 somewhere, but can't find it now.

(Anyone else hate IMDB's redesign?)
Old 04-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #25
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Too soon to post as news, but George R.R. Martin posted a very strong hint that he has finally finished A Dance with Dragons on his Not A Blog page April 27th. He basically says that Kong is dead. He's been referring to Dance as Kong for years. The countdown clock is showing 75 days until publication so it's probably true.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #26
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Too soon to post as news, but George R.R. Martin posted a very strong hint that he has finally finished A Dance with Dragons on his Not A Blog page April 27th. He basically says that Kong is dead. He's been referring to Dance as Kong for years. The countdown clock is showing 75 days until publication so it's probably true.
Wow! I can't wait to read it, it is coming out just after my birthday, too!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #27
Piper_
~~~~~

OK, it might be because of Arya's scenes, but tonight was my favorite episode so far.

Arya, Nan, Danaerys' brother getting whupped, Ned with Arya, Jon and Tyrion...

Character development was outstanding, and it didn't have a horrible event like the first two.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:17 AM   #28
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
OK, it might be because of Arya's scenes, but tonight was my favorite episode so far.

Arya, Nan, Danaerys' brother getting whupped, Ned with Arya, Jon and Tyrion...

Character development was outstanding, and it didn't have a horrible event like the first two.
It was a good episode. I love Arya and I hope her character goes on to great things. I didn't think it was possible but I dislike the Lannisters even more. And although I am not a fan of Daenerys, I think she was awesome; I wish that guy had gotten a few more hits on her brother before she stopped him.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:59 AM   #29
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Liked this episode a lot. Glad to see Arya start her dancing lessons.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #30
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
So how close is this to the books?

I need to find and download these episodes, I don't have/nor know anyone with HBO.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote