Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-31-2017, 02:28 PM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
OK, I didn't realize you had given yourself the liberty to invent new ways of measuring these devices. I'll look forward to your consistency with the new system. But I still want a larger display. All these 4.75" models are getting tiring for my aging eyes.
When/where did you ever see books or the paper they are made from measured by the diagonal?

They have had a larger display.

And you can still buy them.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:47 PM   #17
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
When/where did you ever see books or the paper they are made from measured by the diagonal?

They have had a larger display.

And you can still buy them.
You've already said, quite clearly, that this conversation was about e-ink devices. E-ink display sizes--like most other display sizes--have a standard, widely-recognized way of measurement. These are terms and numbers that the tech industry and its followers have used for decades. I don't care if you personally discard standard definitions, to help you play your cute little word games or whatever, but don't expect others to know what you're talking about.

As for books, thank you for your research. I am now aware that larger books are available, with big pages and big type. I didn't realize their availability disqualified me from hoping that Amazon makes a Kindle with a larger display.

I really don't understand what is wrong with people who argue against having more options.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:42 PM   #18
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
You've already said, quite clearly, that this conversation was about e-ink devices. E-ink display sizes--like most other display sizes--have a standard, widely-recognized way of measurement. These are terms and numbers that the tech industry and its followers have used for decades. I don't care if you personally discard standard definitions, to help you play your cute little word games or whatever, but don't expect others to know what you're talking about.

As for books, thank you for your research. I am now aware that larger books are available, with big pages and big type. I didn't realize their availability disqualified me from hoping that Amazon makes a Kindle with a larger display.

I really don't understand what is wrong with people who argue against having more options.
He may be stuck in his house. Hence, the alternative measurements.
Keep hoping on the bigger size, but I think not likely.
Except for the outliers, I haven't heard of much call for one.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:44 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've read of people wanting a larger screen and more settings options. Amazon seems to be ignoring what it's customers want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:36 PM   #20
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've read of people wanting a larger screen and more settings options. Amazon seems to be ignoring what it's customers want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
He may be stuck in his house. Hence, the alternative measurements.
Keep hoping on the bigger size, but I think not likely.
Except for the outliers, I haven't heard of much call for one.
Yeah, true all around. It's not that Amazon is ignoring anyone, it's that they just haven't seen the market for a larger device. (I am an outlier.) Or at least they haven't seen the potential until a few weeks from now...
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yeah, true all around. It's not that Amazon is ignoring anyone, it's that they just haven't seen the market for a larger device. (I am an outlier.) Or at least they haven't seen the potential until a few weeks from now...
Well, if Amazon had listened to customers, they could have taken business away from Kobo. But Amazon won't listen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:33 PM   #22
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have the Paperwhite 1, the original Paperwhite, and the Paperwhite 3, the latest one. I use both. A lot of people prefer the higher screen resolution but I can't tell the difference.

The differences I can see are that the front light is more even on the newer one although I find it just fine on the older one, and the newer one has a slightly faster CPU which is noticeable but I don't think is that important. The faster CPU also reduces battery life somewhat but not by a lot.

I prefer the 3rd generation Paperwhite and I use it more but I read on both of them and my preference is a small one. Worth upgrading? If you have the money to easily upgrade then I'd say so. If you're on a budget the original one is just fine.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:02 AM   #23
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Perhaps it's because the numbers are so small? If the DX had been a hot seller then we would still have big Kindles. I think it's safe to say most people prefer portability over a big-screen reading experience.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote