Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-30-2018, 11:41 AM   #1
lmariam
lmariam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How to stop Calibre from adding a number to Chapter head

I'm assuming this is a newbie issue but for the life of me I can't figure it out?

Starting with a document in Word 2016 .docx. The chapter heads are tagged with the "Heading 1" style. In Calibre common conversions, I've changed the "h1" to "Heading 1". Heading 1 is formatted with a page break before in Word. The original document has a TOC already created and formatted with links to bookmarks in the document.

Now if I convert the .docx file to ePub everything works fine.

However, if I convert to old MOBI, the page breaks disappear and a number is added to the Chapter heads text, such as "2." This number appears to be the count of Heading 1 styles seen.

If I delete the .docx version from Calibre and convert the ePub version to MOBI, I get the page breaks but the number remains.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the number Calibre adds to the Chapter heads tagged as "Heading 1"?

Last edited by lmariam; 07-30-2018 at 11:43 AM.
lmariam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:49 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Dont make your heading lists in word, i.e. dont give them numbering styles
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2018, 05:27 AM   #3
lmariam
lmariam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Dont make your heading lists in word, i.e. dont give them numbering styles
What do you mean "numbering styles?" Sorry but that sentence doesn't make any sense to me?

I use something like "Chapter 1" and set it as a Heading 1 style. The style has no numbering attached to it. The conversion works fine in Doc -> ePub but fails in Doc -> MOBI.
lmariam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:33 PM   #4
JoshuaEBSmith
JoshuaEBSmith began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle App
A solution

I ran into this problem (and this thread) myself.

What I discovered was that for some reason, chapter titles and headings were being put into a list. I had to enter the 'edit book' function of Calibre, then start looking at the code for each chapter.

The code you're looking for that's causing the problem is going to read like this:

Code:
<ol class="list_">
	<li class="block_61" id="id_RefHeading___Toc2449_3233325000" value="13">
That OL tag is what's calling it a list - and the "value" is telling it what number to put in front of the text. Just delete the tag, and replace li class= with p class= and your problem should be fixed.
JoshuaEBSmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto numbering, calibre, heading 1 style