Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-27-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
greenjr52
John G
greenjr52 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Problems converting EPub to MOBI

I am using a Kindle (so need MOBI format files). I regularly download ePub files from my local public digital library (which uses Overdrive as a delivery platform) and then use Calibre to convert the files into MOBI.

In the past, I've had no problems at using this process, but recently I've had problems with a few books. Some work just fine, but others give an error message indicating an ODF error in the source file, even though the source ePub file is fully readable in Adobe Digital Editions. Have Overdrive changed their file format recently? Are they adding additional protection to stop us from converting? Is there a solution?

I attach the error log.

Can anyone help?
Attached Files
File Type: doc Calibre Library Error Message.doc (36.0 KB, 144 views)
greenjr52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:00 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Can you open the imported epub with calibre's book viewer?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2018, 01:15 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186697
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:35 AM   #4
greenjr52
John G

Actually, having now tried; no, I can't read the epub book in Calibre, but I can read the same file in Adobe Digital Editions. Odd!
Old 08-01-2018, 08:21 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjr52 View Post
Actually, having now tried; no, I can't read the epub book in Calibre, but I can read the same file in Adobe Digital Editions. Odd!
Okay, that says DRM removal which not a topic that we are allowed to discuss in depth on MobileRead. Have you installed the DeDRM plugin? See the New version of DRM removal tools ("DeDRM") thread for a bit more information. The latest version is found at Apprentice Harper's github page.

Good luck.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2018, 11:31 AM   #6
greenjr52
John G

Thanks; that seems to have done the trick. I was using UnDRM previously but lately it seems to be not working with some files - maybe the publishers are getting wise!! I wasn't aware of the Calibre plug-in and not only does it work, it is much easire to uase that having to pass through UnDRM first. Thanks, again.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:02 AM   #7
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjr52 View Post
I am using a Kindle (so need MOBI format files).
I would advise you to use AZW3 instead. It gives a much more readable result than MOBI.
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote