Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-14-2017, 12:25 AM   #91
Manny_Belano
Manny_Belano began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (B011; K5)
Hi, pete330, thanks for the quick answer.

Well, I tried to use the new port version, but I didn't have luck. When I opened gargoyle, it appeared the keyboard but then it throw me back to the main screen. If I tried to enter again, nothing happens.

I copy the 0.2 version of bat, and it works ok again.

I'm using kual 2.5, not the 2.7 last version. Can be that?

My firmware is 5.3.7.3, the last one for my model.

Any idea?
Manny_Belano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:52 AM   #92
pete330
Connoisseur
pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Did you use the distribution linked above or did you just copy the executable & libraries into your pre-existing KUAL gargoyle extension folder? The path have to be correct & the layout changed in the new version. The garglk.ini file has to be located in the same folder as the exe and libs.

To get more info: If you want to see a potential error message, you have to call the startup shell script from the terminal (kterm).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pete330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2017, 07:23 AM   #93
pete330
Connoisseur
pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I remember correctly, there were library incompatibilities between Kindle Firmware >=5.6.5 and earlier firmwares. So my guess is the current code has to be compiled with an appropriate toolchain for firmwares older than 5.6.5.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:05 AM   #94
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
IIRC, the loader checks for all required symbols (by their version) at load time, not after execution starts.
So if it was a library mismatch, I would expect it to fail to start, not start and fail.
But the symbols are not actually linked until called (which would be after execution starts).

- - - -

Seeing the error message (if any) will tell us what is happening.

And there is an environment variable that can be set to tell us more than we would ever want to know about the linking process if the minimal error message does not help.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #95
Manny_Belano

Hi, friends,

I've used the distribution linked above. First, I unzipped it in my pc (i'm using windows xp) and then I put the gargoyle folder in extensions in kual. And yes, the executable, the garglk.ini file and the libreries are inside the dist folder.

I'm really a novice at this, so I don't know how to "call the startup shell script from the terminal (kterm)". I know what kterm is; I have copied it to kual and is working. But I don't know how to use it to get error messages. I tried to search in the forum how to do it but I didn't find anything specific (or, most probably, maybe I don't understand enough).

So, if you have the patience to explain that to me, I could test the gargoyle port to try to generate the error message. But if it's too complicated for a novice to do it, I understand and will continue to use the older version.
Advert
Old 04-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #96
pete330
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
IIRC, the loader checks for all required symbols (by their version) at load time, not after execution starts.
So if it was a library mismatch, I would expect it to fail to start, not start and fail.

Just because the keyboard is shown doesn't mean the app was loaded and started at all, because the virtual keyboard is a separate process started before the actual gargoyle executable in the startup shellscript.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #97
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

KTerm is just a command line terminal, similar to the command line terminal application on XP.

The top of the visible USB storage starts at: /mnt/us
When kTerm starts, the current working directory is: /mnt/us/extensions/kterm
Learn the present working directory: pwd
Change the current directory: cd <some other path>
Paths can be relative.
That is:
cd ..
ls
should make the /mnt/us/extensions directory current and the list command should show the contents.

So if you put the gargoyle folder in the extensions folder:
cd gargoyle
ls

I would expect there to be a 'bin' folder there -
ls bin
That should show you the contents of that folder

Now to be like KUAL, you have to run the script from the directory you are currently in.
so the command would be:
bin/<whatever the scripts name is here>
Old 04-14-2017, 12:48 PM   #98
Manny_Belano

Thanks for the clear explanation, knc1.

Well, I went to the extensions directory and there I tiped:

gargoyle/dist/gargoyle

I get this message:

gargoyle/dist/gargoyle: error while loading shared libraries: libgarglk.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I've assumed that gargoyle is the executable. But, just in case, after that I try:

gargoyle/dist/libgarglk.so

The message I get was:

Segmentation fault

I also get the same message if i try:

dist/gargoyle

in the extension/gargoyle folder.

There isn't any bin directory inside the gargoyle folder. the executable, the garglk.ini file and the libreries are inside the a folder named dist.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:00 PM   #99
knc1
Going Viral

I was going by how KUAL extensions are expected to be packaged.
I did not look at the actual application.

That message should be enough, it seems clear to me, a library is missing.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #100
Manny_Belano

Also, I have another information. Trying to start the port that works in my kindle (0.2 version), I see that to run gargoyle I need to type

gargoyle/gargoyle.sh

from the extensions folder. So, I try that with the last version and I get this info

./dist/gargoyle: error while loading shared libraries: libpng16.so.16: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

That's all I have for now.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:29 PM   #101
pete330
Connoisseur

Starting the gargoyle.sh file is the way to go, it sets the required environment variables.

But the old firmware you use simply doesn't provide the newer libpng version this build requires.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #102
knc1
Going Viral

Somewhere, we have the newer library posted, so that people with this problem can upgrade it.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:00 PM   #103
pete330
Connoisseur

I can try to make a second build for older firmwares. 1st step: find out which dependencies are broken. Can you please post the output of ldd:

Please enter these commands (I hope I didn't include any typing errors):

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/us/extensions/gargoyle/dist

cd /mnt/us/extensions/gargoyle/dist

Then I am interested in output of:

ldd ./gargoyle

To store the output in a file:

ldd ./gargoyle > GarglkDependencies.txt

Then please post GarglkDependencies.txt
Old 04-14-2017, 07:00 PM   #104
Manny_Belano

What a shame, but, well, it's ok, I think.

Thanks both of you for the help. I will try to look the new library and see what happens, but I'm no sure I can find it or, if I find it, I'll know how to use the new library instead of the old one.

I have another question: if I put the new libraries for the glulxe, git, tads, etc. interpreters in the gargoyle port 0.2 by baf, do you think they work? Or the new libraries will work only with the new build? Do you have any idea?
Old 04-14-2017, 07:02 PM   #105
Manny_Belano

Thanks, pete330, I will do what you say and post again.