Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-01-2018, 03:48 AM   #1
gohhwaian
gohhwaian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
How to migrate from Calibre's portable version to Calibre's PortableApps version

Dear Gurus,

I have been using Calibre's portable version for more than 7 years and PortableApps platform for more than 5 years.

I just realized that Calibre has now released a version on the PortableApps platform, and I would like to migrate my current installation of Calibre portable version to the one on PortableApps. Specifically, I would like to migrate:

1. the library of ebooks
2. the subscription settings of the periodicals
3. program settings
4. plugins

For plugins, it is okay if it cannot be migrated and has to be reinstalled as I have only two plugins installed.

Much appreciate any advice/pointers on how to do this.

Thank you and best wishes,
Hwai An
gohhwaian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:24 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Please note, the PortableApps version is maintained by a 3rd party (prapper, I think?) and frequently lags behind official release.

If you still decide to switch then:

Calibre Portable\Calibre Library ->
calibrePortable\Data\library

Calibre Portable\Calibre Settings ->
calibrePortable\Data\settings\config

It may not be a straightforward switch so I suggest making a copy while you test the transition. Iirc, plugins should be located in the settings folder so there should be no need to make changes there. The library should be no problem. It's the settings that might pose an issue.

You can view calibrePortable\App\AppInfo\Launcher\calibrePortab le.ini in a text editor to see all the substitutions that calibrePortable makes.

A quick perusal of the ini shows affected files are dynamic.pickle, global.py, gui.json and history.plist. You pretty much just need to change all references to the old path to the new one so maybe 5 lines or so. Quick tip, search for Calibre Portable in these files. Those should be the lines you would need to change.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:30 PM   #3
gohhwaian
gohhwaian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Dear ilovejedd,

Thank you much for your kind and quick reply, and the detailed advice.

I didn't realize that the PortableApp version of Calibre is maintained by 3rd party.

I will give it a shot anyway just to see how it goes. Will certainly use a copy and to keep the original calibre portable version intact.

Thank you once again.

With Best wishes,
Hwai An
gohhwaian is offline   Reply With Quote