Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-23-2018, 12:32 AM   #1
devtech8
Enthusiast
devtech8 began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD, phone, laptop
Library split for mags and books

So if in a folder structure, I have mags in one folder and books in another, is there a way to scan them in as one library that could be chosen for which path I wish to browse? I have tested with a small sample, but no luck. Ideas please?
devtech8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:38 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
You either need to create two separate calibre libraries or use tags and create two virtual libraries in one.

I recommend using only one library if you don't have some specific reasons why not. Two reasons might be: 1. to keep the size of the calibre library down, some report that big libraries slows down calibre. 2. To allow use of a different set of metadata.

One procedure could be to scan in one folder. Then tag all as books/maagazines and create a virtual library based on that. Then scan in the other and tag them as the other, and create another virtual library. A nice exercise in selecting books. Then you can have one tab for each library visible and quickly flip the view between books and magazines. You might even have virtual libraries for unread magazines or sci-fi books that are not part of a series. And anything else you can add tags for and search after.

I have my books in three main calibre libraries: Periodicals (=magazines), Fiction and Non-fiction. And lots of virtual libraries for sub-genres and so on. And also a library for new books.

Last edited by Adoby; 12-23-2018 at 04:45 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2018, 06:52 PM   #3
devtech8
Enthusiast
devtech8 began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD, phone, laptop
Doesn't Calibre automatically create virtual libraries anyhow?

I thought of one, but guess it shouldn't matter as long as I can tag them easily.
devtech8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:55 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by devtech8 View Post
No it doesn't.

Virtual Libraries are subset of a real library based on search expressions you define. A book can be in many Virtual Libraries e.g. Children's Books and Published 2000-2009

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by devtech8 View Post

I thought of one, but guess it shouldn't matter as long as I can tag them easily.
Not Automatic. You need to create a search term, then assign that (saved search) to a VL.

Pretty easy.
My main reason for a seperate Library, is the (custom) Columns are different or have a different set of values.

Wide (many columns, unused for that VL) tables are inefficient. Lean and Mean
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert