Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
Deuce911
Deuce911 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Question iPad Problems

I first want to say thanks for this program and as soon as I get it working on my end I will be donating.

I have been through the posting of setting up the program and iTunes to work and I see the device and can select the book to be transfered and in the status the Upload says Finished but the "Send metadata to device" with the GEAR Icon says working but the progress says unavailable and the timer just keeps counting up and never finishes. The "Send metadata to device" with the HOURGLASS says it is waiting and the progress on it is Unavailable.

In the meantime the book says it is on the device on the main program, but when I cancel out of the transfer on the status page the book disappears from the ipad.

I am using Win7 and the latest iTunes v9.1.1.12

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by Deuce911; 06-05-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Deuce911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Deuce911:

Please run calibre in debug mode. Open a command window, then type
Code:
calibre-debug -g
Transfer the book to the iPad. When you get to the hourglass quit calibre.

Copy the contents of the command window and either post it here hidden in a spoiler, or send it to me via PM.

Also, please post followup messages in the Start here thread, thanks.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Deuce911:

Please run calibre in debug mode. Open a command window, then type
Code:
calibre-debug -g
Transfer the book to the iPad. When you get to the hourglass quit calibre.

Copy the contents of the command window and either post it here hidden in a spoiler, or send it to me via PM.

Also, please post followup messages in the Start here thread, thanks.

G
This is the same problem I was having it's because number 2 hasn't been followed.

2. In iTunes Preferences|Advanced, check Keep iTunes Media Folder organized and Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to Library. You may not be currently be using these settings, but these settings are how the device driver's been tested. The second item 'Copy files ...', is mandatory, because calibre generates a temporary copy of the exported epub when sending it to iTunes. The permanent copy must be stored in iTunes, because the temporary copy provided by calibre is ... temporary.

Last edited by stustaff; 06-05-2010 at 11:36 AM.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Deuce911

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
This is the same problem I was having it's because number 2 hasn't been followed.

2. In iTunes Preferences|Advanced, check Keep iTunes Media Folder organized and Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to Library. You may not be currently be using these settings, but these settings are how the device driver's been tested. The second item 'Copy files ...', is mandatory, because calibre generates a temporary copy of the exported epub when sending it to iTunes. The permanent copy must be stored in iTunes, because the temporary copy provided by calibre is ... temporary.
Sorry to tell you but I do have those options set.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce911 View Post
Sorry to tell you but I do have those options set.
Hmm exactly the same error though maybe there is another reason it can't get to the file, it does seem like it can't write to the file though, when it's done does your book show up in iTunes?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
Deuce911

Mine never finished, stuck on Metadata.

Now after I looked at it again can't even get it to recognize the iPad now.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
Deuce911

I have sent the debug to you in a PM.

It is now back to the original error that somehow I got past.

Thanks
Old 06-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
another data point - I'm seeing exactly the same behavior. I'm on Mac OS 10.6.3 and iTunes 9.1.1 (12) and the appropriate manage/copy flags are set.

Interestingly, the copy/sync has happened (the book is on the iPad and can be opened), it's only that Calibre hasn't detected that it worked great!

I can't seem to stop the transfer, that just gives an error about not killing jobs that communicate with the device. Quitting Calibre, after acknowledging the warning about corrupt data worked just fine. The book is still on the iPad and in iTunes.

Do you need/want any more info or is what Mike providing sufficient?

Thanks,
Tracey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce911 View Post
I have been through the posting of setting up the program and iTunes to work and I see the device and can select the book to be transfered and in the status the Upload says Finished but the "Send metadata to device" with the GEAR Icon says working but the progress says unavailable and the timer just keeps counting up and never finishes. The "Send metadata to device" with the HOURGLASS says it is waiting and the progress on it is Unavailable.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've changed the syncing logic, hopefully fixed in the next release.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote