Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
thegman
thegman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Newspapers on eBook Reader

Hi all,
I've never had an eBook reader, but I'm interested in getting my first. I love the idea of getting newspapers pushed onto it like the Kindle can do, however, I'm in the UK where the Kindle is not available.

So, what's the closest I can get to that sort of experience? Is it possible to get the same sort of thing over Wifi? Or would I need to somehow get the newspaper and pop it onto a memory stick?

I like the Sony devices, they're cheap and available in the UK, but no Wifi, what other devices should I consider? They can all view books, so I'm more interested in comparisons over newspaper/blog reading etc.

All the best

Garry
thegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
icecoolmike
icecoolmike began at the beginning.

Device: hanvon
This will make your choice easier

http://ebookportable.blogspot.com

There so many more ebook readers than the kindle, sony reader and cool-er.
This site tells you more about them
icecoolmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
Umm, you mean like all these ones?
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
icecoolmike
icecoolmike began at the beginning.

Device: hanvon
maybe . . lol. Is that it?!
icecoolmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegman View Post
Hi all,
I've never had an eBook reader, but I'm interested in getting my first. I love the idea of getting newspapers pushed onto it like the Kindle can do, however, I'm in the UK where the Kindle is not available.

So, what's the closest I can get to that sort of experience? Is it possible to get the same sort of thing over Wifi? Or would I need to somehow get the newspaper and pop it onto a memory stick?

I like the Sony devices, they're cheap and available in the UK, but no Wifi, what other devices should I consider? They can all view books, so I'm more interested in comparisons over newspaper/blog reading etc.

All the best

Garry
In my opinion, the "feeling" of reading a newspaper on Kindle totally gets lost.
It's like reading a newsfeed, not an actual newspaper.
No columns, mostly the pics are gone, ...
I very much prefer the way, newspapers are handled on iRex 1000S.
http://www.irextechnologies.com/file...chnologies.pdf
You can test it on your PC, the layout on iRex 1000S will be the same.
It's not perfect, my local newspaper for example isn't available (mostly US ones), but from a technological perspective the most appealing solution I've found.
Of course, if it's just about the information, you can generate newsfeeds via "calibre" and upload them to any reader you want. Works great, but I miss the "look and feel" of "real" newspapers.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegman View Post
Hi all,

All the best

Garry
Concerning WiFi:
There's a thread in the iRex iLiad forum. One of the users has written a script to download a daily edition of his newspaper automatically via WiFi. I think it was "Daily Telegraph". Anyhow, the author in detail describes how to modify that script to link to another daily newspaper.
As it's PDF-download, it's working like a charm of course.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:36 AM   #7
SeanO
SeanO began at the beginning.

Device: none
I hope you don't mind my question but I'm new so please be patient. So I can read newspaper on any e-book out there or am I getting it wrong?
SeanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:47 AM   #8
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanO View Post
I hope you don't mind my question but I'm new so please be patient. So I can read newspaper on any e-book out there or am I getting it wrong?
You can theoretically do it on any reader, if you just want the text then it is not so bad on most devices. But if you want a real "newspaperlike" experience then it seems only the Irex Digital Reader can give you that.

More readers with big screens are coming out in the next 6 months. I suggest you do the same thing I do, wait for the new models and see what they offer.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:19 AM   #9
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
You can theoretically do it on any reader
For many newspapers, you can theoretically reads news feeds on any reader.
But some newspapers require a subscription.
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote