Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Question Can I still upgrade iPhone 4 to iOS 5?

I have an iPhone 4 and never upgraded to iOS 5 (or I guess it's 5.1.1.).

After hearing about problems with iOS 6, I'm wondering if there is an easy way to get the 5 upgrade I missed (without jailbreaking or doing anything else too drastic).

Assuming it's even possible, where would I find it, and how would I install it? Thanks!
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Unless Apple are still signing the ios5 blobs, it's unlikely you can. Easiest way to find out though is give it a go.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/10/12/ios-5...oad-available/

Has a link to each of the ios5 firmwares for various devices. The downloads are actually hosted by apple, I wouldn't recommended obtaining firmware from any other source.

To install, you'll probably have to google it, but if memory serves, load itunes, select your device, hold down the option key and select restore. You can then pick the firmware. It'll only be installable if apple are still signing that firmware though.

Last edited by JoeD; 10-07-2012 at 02:27 PM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
No, not possible. Its going to be iOS6 or stay put on 4. Apple stopped signng 5 soon after the release of 6.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Thanks for all the help--guess I'll stick with iOS 4 for now.

Has anyone else upgraded to iOS 6 on an iPhone 4? Any comments, pro or con?
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
I upgraded to 6 on my iPhone 4 when it was released. The actual upgrade experience was bad - the wifi download crapped out several times, and when I upgraded via iTunes, it told me the download was corrupted, and my phone was stuck in restore mode for about two hours. I was convinced it had bricked, but on the fourth go-round it worked.

In terms of the iOS6 experience...meh. Obviously, with the iPhone 4, you still don't have Siri, and you don't get the Panorama feature on the camera. Google maps disappears, and is replaced with Apple's Maps, which is (IMHO) an inferior product (yes, you can still use Google Maps via a web shortcut). I, personally have zero use for Passbook. Also, for the first week after upgrading, my battery life was terrible. With my usual phone usage, my battery would be at about 15-20% when I went to bed at night (I leave wifi and GPS on at all times, bluetooth always off). With no change in usage, my battery would be down to 10% by the time I came home from work at 4pm. I solved this by going into notifications and turning off a bunch of stuff and restricting which apps use location services (I think Passbook might have been a culprit).

So, my iOS6 experience has been mediocre. I really liked the move from iOS4 to iOS5, however. So, to sum it up, knowing what I know now, if I were at iOS5, I would probably stay there, but if I were at iOS4, I would probably go ahead and jump to iOS6.

Obviously, this is merely my own personal experience, and I'm sure others here love iOS6.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
rlowe
Enthusiast
rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3; Kindle DX
Well using iOS 6 in iPhone 4 is not that bad. You still have the option to jailbreak it though, because they've already jailbreaked the iPhone 4 with iOS 6. My iPad 2 is running faster with iOS 6, and I'm pretty sure your iPhone 4 would perform the same.
rlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
As hrosvit mentioned, there isn't much for the iPhone 4 in the iOS 6 upgrade, so going from 4 to 6 will mostly get you what was in the iOS 5 update.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:40 AM   #8
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Unless you make intensive use of the maps app and don't want to get the new one, I think you can probably upgrade to 6. There were a lot of small bugs introduced in apps by the upgrade, but I think most of them have been corrected now. I'm not crazy about OS6 either, I don't see any progress personally but now, after many update of my apps, there is no regression either. Except maybe for maps, I don't really have an opinion on that because I use it very little.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ios 5, iphone 4