Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
Holden
Enthusiast
Holden began at the beginning.

Device: cybook, kindle3
My Cybook wants a little brother

I have a Cybook 3 generation and lots of ebooks.
I live in Italy and a friend of mine is going to New York. I was thinking of buying a Kindle 3, as the price is tempting.
Somebody told me that you will be asked some personal information when you buy a kindle, but this is not clear for me, What is it for? for downloading from Amazon?
Second question: Kindle and Cybook use the same files? mobi, isn't it?
Third Question: What about the screen resolution? Is it better to read than my Cybook?
Fourth question: Can you buy it at Barnes and Nobles? If not, which is the best place where I can send my friend to buy it?

(I might have found all the answer in the other threads, but there are so many that I got lost
Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I know nothing about the Cybook so it is hard to answer specific questions.

A Kindle will be able to read any non-DRMed Mobi books that you have. If you have bought books that are DRMed and readable on the Cybook, they will not be readable on the Kindle. If you are comfortable with the legal, ethical, and technical issues you can strip the DRM and put the books from your Cybook on a Kindle.

The K3 and Sony have the Pearl Screen which is the best e-ink screen currently available. I would guess that the screen is better then the Cybook.

If you want to use the wireless capabilities and collections you will have to register your Kindle with Amazon. It is painless. Essentially you create an Amazon account which gives them your name and address. You have to give them a credit card number if you want to buy books directly from your Kindle.

Kindles are not sold at Barnes and Nobles. You can buy a Kindle at Staples, Best Buy, and Target.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Holden
Enthusiast

Thank you, you've been very useful
Old 02-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you get a nice 650, then the Gen 3 can be the little brother. Also, you can put on an ePub firmware on the Gen3 and they will both be compatible. The 650 uses the same Pearl screen as the K3. Once you get used to the touch interface, you'll find buttons a bit harder to use.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden View Post
Third Question: What about the screen resolution? Is it better to read than my Cybook?
Both are 600x800 pixel 6" diagonal E-Ink screens. But the Kindle 3 has a later version of the E-Ink screen that has blacker blacks than the CyBook. It's a better screen.

Note that it would be a big brother to your CyBook - taller, wider, thicker and heavier.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
Holden
Enthusiast

I might consider to have twins...
Old 02-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The Cybook supports Epub, the Kindle does not. It uses the inferior Mobi format. You can use Calibre to convert / downgrade your epubs to Mobi.

Apparently you can add new firmware to the K3 in order to read epubs. I think it's legal, but it's probably a bit techy to do.

The K3 screen is superior to the Cybook screen, but there isn't that much in it. Nice price though.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
Holden
Enthusiast

But, still I have a question:
What are they going to ask me at the moment of purchasing. It should be something regardind wi-fi and amazon. As I am not buying it myself, I just need to provide correct information.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
The K3 screen is superior to the Cybook screen, but there isn't that much in it.
As a former Cybook Gen3 owner, and a current Kindle 3 owner, I really can't agree with you. There's a heck of a lot in it. The contrast of the "Pearl" screen of the K3 is quite dramatically better than that of the Gen3's earlier screen.

Last edited by HarryT; 02-18-2011 at 09:11 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Kindle and Cybook use the same files? mobi, isn't it?
Gen 3 have two firmware, 1.6, that read mobi, and 2.1 that read ePub.

Note that mobi drm link the books to devices. So, drmed books will not be readable on your new device. You will need to de-drm.

Quote:
What are they going to ask me at the moment of purchasing. It should be something regarding wi-fi and amazon. As I am not buying it myself, I just need to provide correct information.
The usual I would say, name, billing address, e-mail address.
Mind the billing address, and geo-restictions....

Quote:
The K3 and Sony have the Pearl Screen which is the best e-ink screen currently available. I would guess that the screen is better then the Cybook.
pearl is better, but that don't make the other screens un-readable

If you mean to read in Italian, I would definitively not get a kindle. Get a sony or a cybook. If not well....
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #11
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
When you order a Kindle from Amazon, they ask you whether it's a gift. If you say it is a gift, they don't ask you anything; they just leave it to the buyer to authorize the device later. If it's not a gift, then they send it to you pre-authorized for the account you bought it from.

I would imagine that if you buy a Kindle from a bricks-and-mortar store like Target or Staples, they do them all as if they were gifts - the store isn't going to have geeks on staff to take it out of the box and set it up for you.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #12
Holden
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As a former Cybook Gen3 owner, and a current Kindle 3 owner, I really can't agree with you. There's a heck of a lot in it. The contrast of the "Pearl" screen of the K3 is quite dramatically better than that of the Gen3's earlier screen.
Oh, Harry, I must be missing something. I remember you were the stongest defender of Cybook uber alles and now I find you on the other side...
Thank you all, I 'll buy the kindle 3 as I read mostly in English and it is a cheap device, but i will also go for a Sony one day or another. But I will always love my old Cybook.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Gen3 was an excellent reader in its day, Holden, and I enjoyed reading on mine for a long time. But things have moved on, and I think that Bookeen have been rather overtaken by other companies, unfortunately. There are now a number of better devices on the market.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote