Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-28-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
peejayw
Enthusiast
peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Clara
Text size changes when accessing new chapter

I am using a Kobo Glo and Calibre to load ePubs to it.
With all the books I have read so far, when I get to a new chapter the text size gets real small. I have to enlarge the size by one stop but its then too big and decreasing it by one stop ie one click on the adjustment bar, brings it back to normal.
Is there any way to fix this odd behaviour?
Thanks.
peejayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by peejayw View Post
I am using a Kobo Glo and Calibre to load ePubs to it.
With all the books I have read so far, when I get to a new chapter the text size gets real small. I have to enlarge the size by one stop but its then too big and decreasing it by one stop ie one click on the adjustment bar, brings it back to normal.
Is there any way to fix this odd behaviour?
Thanks.
It also happens to me but it is usually related to side loaded epubs, converted from mobi format. It does not seem to happen on kepub ebooks. Is it the same for you ?
Another way to get back the good font size is to change font.
I need to investigate this, it is bothersome, but it is not really a showstopper.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
peejayw
Enthusiast
peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!peejayw , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I have only tried epub books. Is kepub a different format? Can I convert from epub to kepub to prevent this happening?
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
It also happens to me but it is usually related to side loaded epubs, converted from mobi format. It does not seem to happen on kepub ebooks. Is it the same for you ?
Another way to get back the good font size is to change font.
I need to investigate this, it is bothersome, but it is not really a showstopper.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:30 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
It is a known bug in firmware version 2.3.1. It only happens for epubs but not all epubs and not for everyone. It seems to be fixed in 2.3.2, but you have to manually install that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
peejayw
Enthusiast

Thanks for that. I am very new to this device, when the new firmware is officially available, does it get pushed to your device?
Old 01-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Thanks for that. I am very new to this device, when the new firmware is officially available, does it get pushed to your device?
Yes. Eventually. If they release it to your section of the world.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:03 AM   #7
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
I have only tried epub books. Is kepub a different format? Can I convert from epub to kepub to prevent this happening?
Thanks.
The kepubs is the format Kobo uses for its own ebooks. If you look into your reader you will find that ebooks bought from Kobo shop have that extension.
I do not know if you can convert from kepub to epub, I have never needed to do it. Honestly I never looked into it, there may be some thread which talks about it. Calibre recognizes them as "virtual" books, whatever that means. You can always download the Adobe DRM version from the shop, after you bought the ebook.

Last edited by brudigia; 01-29-2013 at 01:08 AM.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
peejayw
Enthusiast

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Yes. Eventually. If they release it to your section of the world.
I wrote off to Kobo pointing out the problem and asking if they had a timeframe to fix this bug as it detracted from the intended use of the device.

Their reply?

We at Kobo appreciate your feedback and we’re always looking for ways to improve our service.

Your suggestion will be forwarded to the Kobo Development Team for consideration.

Huh? I wasn't making a suggestion, I was reporting a problem and asking when it would be fixed !
:-(
Old 02-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
I wrote off to Kobo pointing out the problem and asking if they had a timeframe to fix this bug as it detracted from the intended use of the device.

Their reply?

We at Kobo appreciate your feedback and we’re always looking for ways to improve our service.

Your suggestion will be forwarded to the Kobo Development Team for consideration.

Huh? I wasn't making a suggestion, I was reporting a problem and asking when it would be fixed !
:-(
Yep, that's the kobo customer service for you. There are really helpful and knowledgable people in there and occasionally you get a hold of one... but unfortunately the bulk of the first replies either comes from people who don't read what you say, or don't know what to reply so just make a standard nonsense response, or maybe it's just a bot responding to certain words you used in your mail. All in all: rather useless.

But I'm afraid they wouldn't be able to give you an estimate anyway, they never do. If you're really desperate to get rid of the bug, take a look here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
peejayw
Enthusiast

I am very tempted. Is there a "how-to" on installing the firmware and if I was not happy, can I go back to the previous version again?
Many thanks for the info.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes and yes

See two posts down from the first post in the thread I linked to.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
peejayw
Enthusiast

Yes I saw that and noticed it was referring to the Touch and I have the Glo so didnt want to proceed in case I broke something :-)
Old 02-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Yes I saw that and noticed it was referring to the Touch and I have the Glo so didnt want to proceed in case I broke something :-)
Aaaah ok. No I think that post was written before the Glo existed. But it works the same way for the Glo
Old 02-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #14
peejayw
Enthusiast

OK, maybe I will give it a go then because this small font bug is really "bugging" me.
Must say though, I feel as nervous as a teenager on a first date :-)
Old 02-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #15
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Good luck! Don't worry though, you have a Glo so it's very obvious which firmware you need (the Glo version ), as apposed to some Touch's that use the Glo firmware for some reason.

If you're afraid of losing things you could backup your Glo's disk first (make a disk image). But there have been no problems whatsoever with people upgrading to 2.3.2, and if you prefer to go back to 2.3.1 after that, or even back to 2.1.5 (more stable) you don't need to do a factory reset (which is suggested in one of the posts in the direct links thread).

You can do it! Waves of moral support flying your way