Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
Cordanim
Kindle Newbie
Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G, Kindle 3 3G, iPad 2, BlackBerry Bold 9900
Question Do I stand a chance?

Hi all,

Been a while since I've been on the forums...life/ work way too busy...I keep reading though!

Currently just finishing the eighth Alex Cross book by James Patterson...good, fun, easy reads...

Anyway, that's not why I dropped by...the family and I are heading to the States this weekend and I really want to get a Paperwhite 3G...my question is, do I stand any chance of picking one up at a Best Buy, or are they still majorly constrained supply-wise?

Anyone here that's been lucky enough to get one have any opinions? I'd be upgrading from my Kindle 3 3G, so losing the keyboard, but gaining touch and the built-in light...

Thanks!
Kev
Cordanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
It's currently showing "Unavailable" in my local stores - Denver, CO

You can check availability:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....questid=318638
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
As Kenny said, check availability for the BB's in the area you'll be. I was out of town at a BB over the weekend and they had four PW's in stock, but my closest local stores have none.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
My Best Buy told me they expect them to be released the second week of December.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
Cordanim
Kindle Newbie
Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Well, GOOD NEWS

Family and I went down to Erie, PA this past weekend, and first thing I did was run into the Peach St. Best Buy to check...no luck.

I checked a few other places while we were tooting around shopping but also with no luck.

Sunday morning before we left, the wife wanted to get to Target one more time, so I figured I'd walk over to Best Buy again...went over to the tablet/ e-reader section and there was ONE unit in the showcase!!!

Snagged it quickly and I am now a proud new papa of a 3G/WiFi Paperwhite...now I just have to figure out how to disable the special offers...I'm fiddling around in my Amazon account, but can't find it - if anyone knows how, I'd be much obliged to hear

Kev
Old 11-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Good to hear it!

Go to Manage Your Kindle after signing in. On the left sidebar, go to Manage Your Devices. You should see your Kindle under Registered Kindles. The third column should be Special Offers. Click on the Edit link beside Subscribed, and it'll take you through the process
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
Cordanim
Kindle Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
Good to hear it!

Go to Manage Your Kindle after signing in. On the left sidebar, go to Manage Your Devices. You should see your Kindle under Registered Kindles. The third column should be Special Offers. Click on the Edit link beside Subscribed, and it'll take you through the process
yeah apparently that doesn't work for people outside the US...got a message back when I emailed them asking to call...I will when I'm not relaxing and reading

Thanks,
Kev
Old 11-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordanim View Post
yeah apparently that doesn't work for people outside the US...got a message back when I emailed them asking to call...I will when I'm not relaxing and reading

Thanks,
Kev
Oops, sorry! I didn't know. Hopefully they take care of it for you nice and quickly.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool registered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordanim View Post

Thanks,
Kev
Even if you've registered that Kindle to your account?

alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I had the same issue - had a special offers Paperwhite (imported via a local bookshop), wanted to get rid of the ads after getting Amazon's cover for it (the one with the nifty feature of starting the Kindle upon opening the cover) - so I changed my address to a US one under country settings and changed one of my (non-US-issued) credit cards' billing address temporarily to that same US address.

I had enough gift card funds applied on my account, but it wouldn't let me just use that - it required a credit card with a US billing address, too.

In any case, once I'd done that, I could then pay the $20 to get rid of special offers. But I guess this may or may not work, depending on one's credit card issuer.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #11
Cordanim
Kindle Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
wanted to get rid of the ads after getting Amazon's cover for it (the one with the nifty feature of starting the Kindle upon opening the cover).
I picked up that cover too - love it

I'm not in a rush to fiddle with it right now - the offers do not interfere with reading whatsoever, so will see how it goes for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Kev

Tags
kindle, paperwhite