Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-19-2021, 03:27 PM   #34141
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
And we can't even get the car now because they won't release it, even to tow somewhere else. It's all ridiculous and soooo frustrating.
This may one of those time when the lawyer gets to be the hero of the story. :-)
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:26 PM   #34142
Paperbackstash
Guru
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW3, PW4, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
This may one of those time when the lawyer gets to be the hero of the story. :-)
We are checking into options that are affordable. For right now we are filing complaints and checking into legal help. Crossing fingers here.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2021, 07:38 PM   #34143
Paperbackstash
Guru
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, their insurance officially turned down our claim. The inspector looked at the car and said there is oil all over the place. I Told them we know that, that is not disputing. He said the policy that company has only covers damage done by mechanics, it does not cover whether they should have worked on a car or not or if there was deception in telling us about the engine beforehand.

He said they could tell it had been building up for awhile -- makes no sense since we had no problems with the car and the mechanic told us engine was fine. He said about the oil....I'm like, it wasn't all over the place or burning oil before working on it. They even changed the oil and oil filter themselves Tuesday so how can they claim it's been an existing problem. ???

It's ridiculous. We are going to call an attorney for advice with the senior line tomorrow and I asked him to email me the findings just so have in writing.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:29 AM   #34144
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Yes, I suspect so. I wasn't flat shocked when I read Paperbackstash's most recent:

Quote:
Well, their insurance officially turned down our claim. The inspector looked at the car and said there is oil all over the place. I Told them we know that, that is not disputing. He said the policy that company has only covers damage done by mechanics, it does not cover whether they should have worked on a car or not or if there was deception in telling us about the engine beforehand.
I always find it infuriating when people deny pure logic. It's ridiculous to think that there was "oil all over the place" when the same people you hired to do the work didn't mention that, or say anything about it, in their initial review.

Quote:
He said they could tell it had been building up for awhile -- makes no sense since we had no problems with the car and the mechanic told us engine was fine. He said about the oil....I'm like, it wasn't all over the place or burning oil before working on it. They even changed the oil and oil filter themselves Tuesday so how can they claim it's been an existing problem. ???
Exactly.

Quote:
It's ridiculous. We are going to call an attorney for advice with the senior line tomorrow and I asked him to email me the findings just so have in writing.
Yup, I fear that's your only resort now. Such a damned shame. I'm sorry that this happened to your folks.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:45 AM   #34145
Paperbackstash
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yup, I fear that's your only resort now. Such a damned shame. I'm sorry that this happened to your folks.

Hitch
Thank you, I'm mainly losing hope but my mom wants to try calling some more people for help today.

Since the car was never towed out to another mechanic, the adjuster was there with the men who worked on the car showing how it was a situation with the engine and not mechanical error. Of course they're all biased because they're on the same side.

They act like it's evidence seeing that there is oil all over the place and they said they can tell the problem has been building up awhile. ??? This is the first we've heard of any of that.

Before the shop did the repairs, they showed my parents what they would be working on with the hood lifted and the engine was clean then with no oil issues.

EIther way the adjuster sent us the written denial in email at my request. He said it is found to be from normal wear and tear from the head gasket. This wear and tear didn't exist according to the mechanics before they did work on it, but whatever. And the dealership who almost got the car for review before they stopped the towing process told us that an inspection they would do cannot tell when an engine blew for sure if it was in the same week period (such as Monday versus Wednesday, us bringing it in versus after they worked on it), but apparently these insurance adjusters are super agents who know everything without any evidence, and the mechanics can claim whatever they want beforehand, and afterward, and not get into any trouble for it.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 02-24-2021 at 11:56 AM.
Advert
Old 02-25-2021, 10:09 AM   #34146
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you, I'm mainly losing hope but my mom wants to try calling some more people for help today.

Since the car was never towed out to another mechanic, the adjuster was there with the men who worked on the car showing how it was a situation with the engine and not mechanical error. Of course they're all biased because they're on the same side.

They act like it's evidence seeing that there is oil all over the place and they said they can tell the problem has been building up awhile. ??? This is the first we've heard of any of that.

Before the shop did the repairs, they showed my parents what they would be working on with the hood lifted and the engine was clean then with no oil issues.

EIther way the adjuster sent us the written denial in email at my request. He said it is found to be from normal wear and tear from the head gasket. This wear and tear didn't exist according to the mechanics before they did work on it, but whatever. And the dealership who almost got the car for review before they stopped the towing process told us that an inspection they would do cannot tell when an engine blew for sure if it was in the same week period (such as Monday versus Wednesday, us bringing it in versus after they worked on it), but apparently these insurance adjusters are super agents who know everything without any evidence, and the mechanics can claim whatever they want beforehand, and afterward, and not get into any trouble for it.

The insurance company must have an appeal process. I mean...what you've described is, by and large, how some insurers operate. They decline a claim pretty much upfront (like health insurers with big health costs for a given patient) and then wait for you to appeal it, delaying as long as they can, or making it so difficult to get your money that you give up.

Have you checked their written denial? Typically it mentions if there's an appeal process. If that doesn't have it, look up the insurer online, and find an executive, or 10 execs and write to all of them. Harass them. Seriously. (Not outside the bounds of legality, obviously.)

If you're on social media...I'd consider ramping it up there too. This is a pretty damned outrageous story.

Hitch
Old 02-25-2021, 01:40 PM   #34147
Paperbackstash
Guru

The written communication did not mention an appeal process or an option for one. He told me on the phone, and pretty much in the letter, that this company has a limited insurance policy - he said SOME policies cover if a car is damaged in a mechanic's possession during the time period they have it, or if a mechanic gives incorrect or deceptive information, but that THIS policy is a limited one that only covers very clear mechanical error such as dropping a wrench inside an engine.

The state assigned my parents legal aid and we are supposed to get a call from an attorney today at 4. I don't know what this attorney will say but I agree with you this is all completely frustrating and ridiculous at this point.

Quote:
Have you checked their written denial? Typically it mentions if there's an appeal process. If that doesn't have it, look up the insurer online, and find an executive, or 10 execs and write to all of them. Harass them. Seriously. (Not outside the bounds of legality, obviously.)

If you're on social media...I'd consider ramping it up there too. This is a pretty damned outrageous story.

Hitch
I actually hadn't thought of that with writing others in the insurance company. I agree with you they are being very half-hearted about it and putting in minimum effort. I will have to see what the attorney says and work from there but will also complain with that.

I did write of my experiences on Twitter, and responded to two others who said the same company ruined their car in Florida this year -- not at my location, but same company and same insurance. One man had his engine destroyed because they put the wrong oil filter and oil in the car, and the oil filter fell out and blew the engine after 150 miles. The insurance company, Traveler's Insurance, is going to replace his engine --- but they only said that would replace with an engine from a wrecked car from a junkyard, and now he is fighting that.

This is the letter copied, removing contact information and claim number --- the body of their letter response:

We have carefully reviewed the circumstances surrounding this incident. Please understand that our obligation as an insurer is to pay only those claims for which our insured is legally liable. We have determined that Monro Muffler was not negligent for the damages to your vehicle.

We have investigated this claim and found that our insured provided reasonable care for your property while it was left at our insureds location, and that the damages were the result of a wear and tear failure of your head gasket. There is no evidence to support any negligence on the part of Monro Muffler Brake for this incident and no payment will be offered.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 02-25-2021 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:04 PM   #34148
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab A
Everyone has an appeal process. I'd research the insurance company and find theirs.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:28 PM   #34149
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Paperbackstash:

I was wondering. I recalled back to where you said:

Quote:
that a 2014 Chevy Cruz has an internal water pump instead of an external, and if a mechanic replaces it without having the timing belt exact, even off by 1 or 2, that when the car is turned on the valves will lift and the engine will blow. He said the mechanic is liable and he can't believe they aren't offering to be more assistance.
Did you ask this helpful mechanic how he knew that? I mean, is it something that is discussed, online? Are there manuals that say this? Car repair forums, online, where it's openly discussed?

I'm thinking that if there are either manuals, emails or materials that were sent to Chevy people, or online discussions about it, anything widely public, that would be useful to you. you could track those down, archive them to the Internet Archive (so the links don't/can't disappear), save them and print them out in other ways and either a) send them to your parents' attorney or b) use them in correspondence in the appeal.

I'm sure that you've already thought of this, but in case you hadn't, in all the upheaval...

Hitch
Old 03-01-2021, 03:13 PM   #34150
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Did you ask this helpful mechanic how he knew that? I mean, is it something that is discussed, online? Are there manuals that say this? Car repair forums, online, where it's openly discussed?
From what I found in a quick search, the 2014 Chevy Cruze 1.4L has an interference engine (though given the usual accuracy on the Internet, I'd check this). If the timing is off, the engine can pretty much self-destruct. See Interference engine for a bit more information.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:17 PM   #34151
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
From what I found in a quick search, the 2014 Chevy Cruze 1.4L has an interference engine (though given the usual accuracy on the Internet, I'd check this). If the timing is off, the engine can pretty much self-destruct. See Interference engine for a bit more information.
Yes, exactly. Timing belts are blowing engines all over the place, due to inept or untrained mechanics, not only in Chevy Cruze's. This should have been commonplace knowledge and your mechanic should have mentioned it, IF the engine were in bad shape to start with.

If the timing belt is not set up properly, then the pistons will run into the valve and destroy the head and the pistons.

I think you can easily show that it's entirely on them. I mean, if the engine was coated with oil, etc., in the first place, how the hell did the car GET there? PFM?

Hitch
Old 03-01-2021, 08:44 PM   #34152
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab A
Today's vent is team leads that want to micromanage remotely. Come in to the effing office sometime so we don't have to spend 10 minutes emailing you something that can easily be explained verbally in 30 seconds.

We're adults, trust that we can manage our time.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:42 AM   #34153
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
If the timing belt is not set up properly, then the pistons will run into the valve and destroy the head and the pistons.

Hitch
Is there some really big advantage to designing engines that way, beyond my cynical gut reaction that's it's just some evil way to drive up sales of replacement engines?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:05 PM   #34154
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Is there some really big advantage to designing engines that way, beyond my cynical gut reaction that's it's just some evil way to drive up sales of replacement engines?
Hi:

I don't know. I'm not a mechanic at that sort of design-y level. I know that many of these engine designs are extant, for some reason. Not sure of the "why," but I do appreciate your evil mind working that way. Mine went in that direction, too!

Hitch
Old 03-02-2021, 12:58 PM   #34155
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
An interference engine is capable of higher compression ratios since the piston moves closer to the top of the cylinder. It's pretty much a necessity for diesel engines with their 15:1 and up compression ratios and common for higher performance gasoline engines.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness