Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-14-2009, 02:27 AM   #16
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
lol. This happened when gaming consoles were released too. People will pay a lot of money to be the first on their block with the new toy.

I remember Wiis and PS3's were being sold for 5-10 times their retail price.
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:56 AM   #17
Book Worm
Enthusiast
Book Worm doesn't litterBook Worm doesn't litterBook Worm doesn't litter

Device: Sony e Reader 505 *BLUE*
Well..... you get both the K! and the K2... so... who ever would be silly enough to buy this would really only be out a few hundred bucks.
Book Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2009, 03:11 AM   #18
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
What saddens me is that the vendor is an ebay 'power seller' with a 98% positive rating.

"PowerSellers rank among the most successful sellers on eBay in terms of sales and customer satisfaction. We are proud to recognize their contributions to the success of the eBay Community!"

Says a lot about ebay's commercial integrity - and none of it good.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:08 AM   #19
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't see why people are so judgemental. Remember that one of the only ways to get Kindles outside the US is via eBay. If a non-US citizen really wants a couple of Kindles fast then perhaps they consider $1000 a fair price. This guy is facilitating that transaction but also taking a risk that no-one will buy his Kindles. He's perfectly honest that he doesn't yet have the item so good luck to him!
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:48 AM   #20
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
If a non-US citizen really wants a couple of Kindles fast then perhaps they consider $1000 a fair price.
Aren't they only shipping to the US?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2009, 05:44 AM   #21
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Aren't they only shipping to the US?
Lol! Well spotted, I didn't notice that. There goes my only argument for someone to buy it from this guy...
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #22
brn_eyed_girl81
Connoisseur
brn_eyed_girl81 began at the beginning.

That is sad, Sparrow. I hope nobody falls for this foolishness. It makes me all the more glad that I got Amazon refurbs rather than spend a crazy amount of money on e-bay from some "Power Seller" when I was trying to get my husband a Kindle for his birthday.
brn_eyed_girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by brn_eyed_girl81 View Post
That is sad, Sparrow. I hope nobody falls for this foolishness. It makes me all the more glad that I got Amazon refurbs rather than spend a crazy amount of money on e-bay from some "Power Seller" when I was trying to get my husband a Kindle for his birthday.
There are K1's listed on Amazon at over $900 too. So, not limited to eBay.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:27 PM   #24
brn_eyed_girl81
Connoisseur
brn_eyed_girl81 began at the beginning.

Right - I meant we bought the direct from Amazon ones, not the Marketplace. The way Amazon lists the Marketplace, though, I don't think it necessarily recommends sellers like the "Power seller" does - it just shows user ratings. People can list anything at any price without seeming like they are trusted by Amazon. I know the Power Sellers aren't really recommended by e-bay, but the designation seems to give them some legitimacy.

Last edited by brn_eyed_girl81; 02-14-2009 at 08:36 PM.
brn_eyed_girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #25
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
What saddens me is that the vendor is an ebay 'power seller' with a 98% positive rating.

"PowerSellers rank among the most successful sellers on eBay in terms of sales and customer satisfaction. We are proud to recognize their contributions to the success of the eBay Community!"

Says a lot about ebay's commercial integrity - and none of it good.
98% is pretty low IME, especially for a high-volume seller. I would really look at a sellers feedback in detail before I risked it if it were that low.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #26
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
Always, always, always read some of the feedback and read listings in detail. eBay feedback is severely skewed. If something doesn't look or feel right, go with your gut and avoid that seller.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #27
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I would never get a pre-order from EBay, that's just nuts.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote