Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-13-2017, 01:11 PM   #16
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
First, I'm very sorry for the bad feelings between us. It was never intended, and I really thought I gave you enough details to find the problem. In my mind, it seemed like a minor thing that would be easy to fix. I really was only trying to help, and I hope you'll realize that I'm just a user trying to help when problems come up. I've been a Beta tester in the past, so it's in my nature to want to help with these kind of things. But I understand why you need more information.

Second, I'm finding this problem all the time, so I decided to provide you with the things you've requested. If you're not interested, then I will completely understand, but I'm sure this is happening to other people, and I believe you would want to fix any problems with your wonderful and brilliant software. It really is brilliant, and I'm very thankful to have Calibre!

Third, the description of the problem is:

The code that's in the original titlepage.xhtml was created by Calibre when the user changed the cover image using Convert. The original code includes "text-align: center;" in the "body" section of the titlepage code and does not use any CSS code from the stylesheet.

When the file is converted a second time, the entire code in the titlepage.xhtml is changed and relies on CSS codes in the stylesheet.css, which does not include the line for "text-align: center;", so the image is no longer centered.

In the original file, both the titlepage.xhtml and the cover image have been marked as the cover page and cover image.

Here is a link for a zip file that contains the original titlepage.xhtml, the converted titlepage.xhtml, the conversion log when the file was converted the second time (which is when the image becomes not centered...it's always aligned to the far right because there is no line in the stylesheet for: "text-align: center;"), the two original stylesheets, and the two converted stylesheets. Please let me know if I provided a link that is not allowed here.

http://www69.zippyshare.com/v/Scye0UcY/file.html

I have all the default settings, except the following that I've checked:

Look & Feel:

Justify text
Subset embedded fonts
Expand CSS
Embed Charis SIL font
Several items are added in Extra CSS (which are all listed in the conversion log and none of them involve the titlepage)
Styling - remove fonts

Page Setup:

Input and output - I've tried with both Default Profiles and Nook for both settings (the problem exists when either are selected).
Margins: Top and bottom - 5pt, Both sides - 30pt.

EPUB Output:

I've tried both settings for No SVG Cover (the problem exists when checked and unchecked).

All the rest are the defaults and have not been changed by me. Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thank you!

Deb

Last edited by deback; 11-15-2017 at 02:40 PM.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:25 PM   #17
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been trying to figure out what causes cover images to normally be centered. Even the images that ARE centered (after conversion) do not have the "text-align: center;" code in the CSS file for that particular entry in the titlepage.xhtml file. If I knew what causes them to be centered, I might be able to do something to have ALL of them centered (by changing something or adding something in the conversion settings). I'm still having to edit many EPUB files, find the appropriate "calibre?" code on the titlepage.xhtml page, and then edit the CSS for that particular code to add a line for "text-align: center;".

Does anyone know what causes cover images to normally be centered? Thank you.
Advert
Old 11-22-2017, 09:21 PM   #18
deback
Book E d i t o r

Well, I just did an experiment and figured out the cause of cover images not being centered (sometimes...it doesn't always happen, but just now and then). When I changed "justify" back to "original" in Look and Feel, the conversion left the cover image centered, as it was originally. The first conversion (with Justify enabled) shifted the cover image to the far right. So, now I need to figure out some different settings to have the text for paragraphs justified during my conversions.

Last edited by deback; 11-22-2017 at 09:39 PM.