Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
What to call 'enhanced ebooks'

It seems journalists are having some trouble in coming up with a concise term for 'enhanced ebooks', e.g.:

E-Books Fly Beyond Mere Text
The Two Minds of Amazon on eBooks

Let's help them out.

I propose the following acronyms/terms:
MEB - 'multimedia electronic book'
or perhaps
MEEB - 'media enhanced electronic book'

'meBook' seems to be taken already and is maybe too cute.

'electronic' is preferred to 'digital' because a vowel is required to make a pronounceable acronym that could morph into a real, uncapitalized new word that eventually you could use in Scrabble play (my hidden agenda ).

In any case I would make a distinction between enhanced ebooks that leverage existing ebook formats like ePub or mobi, and those that leverage multimedia platforms like Flash, or HTML5 (not to mention specific OS platforms).

But surely there are other possibilities? Let's hear your ideas!

Last edited by tomsem; 08-05-2010 at 03:30 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Digitally Advanced Multimedia Navigable Interactive Technology Book.

Or DAMNIT-Book
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Call them all eBooks. With time (and time usually flies in the technology world) the enhanced books will become the standard so we might as well not worry about distinguishing them with a separate name-the distinction is just a passing fad, IMO.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It seems journalists are having some trouble in coming up with a concise term for 'enhanced ebooks', e.g.:

E-Books Fly Beyond Mere Text
The Two Minds of Amazon on eBooks

Let's help them out.

I propose the following acronyms/terms:
MEB - 'multimedia electronic book'
or perhaps
MEEB - 'media enhanced electronic book'

'meBook' seems to be taken already and is maybe too cute.

'electronic' is preferred to 'digital' because a vowel is required to make a pronounceable acronym that could morph into a real, uncapitalized new word that eventually you could use in Scrabble play (my hidden agenda ).

In any case I would make a distinction between enhanced ebooks that leverage existing ebook formats like ePub or mobi, and those that leverage multimedia platforms like Flash, or HTML5 (not to mention specific OS platforms).

But surely there are other possibilities? Let's hear your ideas!
Garbaaaaage!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
Call them all eBooks. With time (and time usually flies in the technology world) the enhanced books will become the standard so we might as well not worry about distinguishing them with a separate name-the distinction is just a passing fad, IMO.
Become the standard? Good God I hope not! Video embedded within the text would be an absolute no fly zone with me! I read to get away from the damn TV!
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The book "Elements" as presented on the iPad is an excellent example of how an enhanced ebook can be advantageous. No real video, but it allows for 3-D presentations and interaction with Wolfram|Alpha—Computational Knowledge Engine.

For most fiction books, I do not see any need for enhancement, but for non-fiction, it seems a great fit.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #7
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
Genetically altered books? How about free-range books? Then there are organic books, low-pulp books, and soy books. The only similarity is that they're all so delicious.
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
They become apps? Where is the boundary between a book enhanced with additional functionality, and an app that tells a story (and a game)?

I'd suggest we would call them e-books, apps or games depending on how people interact with them.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #9
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
The book "Elements" as presented on the iPad is an excellent example of how an enhanced ebook can be advantageous. No real video, but it allows for 3-D presentations and interaction with Wolfram|Alpha—Computational Knowledge Engine.

For most fiction books, I do not see any need for enhancement, but for non-fiction, it seems a great fit.
Would you please provide more info about "Elements"? I searched on Amazon, iBooks and iPad apps for it, but found many variations. I love messing with WolframAlpha and would like to try such a book.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:43 PM   #10
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Become the standard? Good God I hope not! Video embedded within the text would be an absolute no fly zone with me! I read to get away from the damn TV!
I didn't say I was looking forward to it, just that I expect it to happen. So, hopefully, today I'm a pessimist!
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #11
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Would you please provide more info about "Elements"? I searched on Amazon, iBooks and iPad apps for it, but found many variations. I love messing with WolframAlpha and would like to try such a book.
Actually it is called "The Elements" a "dazzling, living book" by Theodore Gray.

Here's a review on Boing Boing
Old 08-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Actually it is called "The Elements" a "dazzling, living book" by Theodore Gray.

Really? So I can take a .45 to the store and plug a hole into the 'living book' and it will die??? Does that mean I can be charged with murder?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #13
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Really? So I can take a .45 to the store and plug a hole into the 'living book' and it will die??? Does that mean I can be charged with murder?

Derek
I assume you would have to aim directly at the zeros and ones that comprise the ebook.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #14
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:

Thanks.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #15
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Garbaaaaage!

Derek
my thoughts exactly...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote