Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 05:14 AM   #1
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Time for a general Android section?

With the slew of 4"+ Android phones coming to market, plus stuff like the Dell Streak, isn't it time to have a dedicated Android section here.

I am just replacing my iPhone 3Gs with a 4" Samsung Galaxy S and while I don't necessarily plan to use it as a dedicated reader, I was wondering about what ereader apps are available, which ones are the best, etc..

There is a place for the 3.5" iPhoners to go, shouldn't the Androids be granted equal rights?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
A few months ago Nate the Great posted a thread that went through all the Andoid reading apps then available. That might help get you started. I'm sorry I can't provide any better directions to it. I have an original Verizon/Motorola Droid and do not care for reading on it at all so I did not follow it all that carefully.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Yes I agree it's time for an Android section.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Now that Kindle for Android is out I'm guessing B&N will have their software soon (if not already). Guess it is time for an Android tablet for me.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:25 AM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I'd just like to figure out what Android is all about and why I should be excited!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 02:46 AM   #6
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
An Android thread would definitely be useful with all of the Android tablets coming out this fall. Not to mention all phones already running Android.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:20 AM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
eReader is already on Android, B&N's variant is on the way. Kobo is available too.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:10 AM   #8
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
I'd like to chime in for iReader for Android. I use it on my Milestone (a European GSM version of the Droid).

I agree that android devices deserve their own section, I'm not sure if they'll get them.

Back to lurking...

Gwen
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:12 AM   #9
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
With the slew of 4"+ Android phones coming to market, plus stuff like the Dell Streak, isn't it time to have a dedicated Android section here.

I am just replacing my iPhone 3Gs with a 4" Samsung Galaxy S and while I don't necessarily plan to use it as a dedicated reader, I was wondering about what ereader apps are available, which ones are the best, etc..

There is a place for the 3.5" iPhoners to go, shouldn't the Androids be granted equal rights?
As I understand it, Aldiko is the nearest Stanza alternative. I have helped folks install and download books from Calibre and open them in Aldiko on Android devices. Seems a good start.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:41 AM   #10
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I'd just like to figure out what Android is all about and why I should be excited!
Hi KK,

I don't know if "excited" is correct, but "interested"?... Probably.

Android is an open source OS released by Google. It is primarily used in phones and in terms of use, I guess it is similar to the iPhone OS. Apps can be downloaded from the Android market, and many are free. There is a Kindle-for-Android, and also a Nook-for-Android, and probably other ebook stores have apps for Android too.

However, Android is rapidly finding its way into other devices - like the 7" LCD tablet/readers on eBay; the Nook uses it, as do other ereaders. I don't know how good the eBay devices are, but the OS itself is a quality item.

There are claims that Android will be on more devices than the iPhone OS within 18 months, and with Samsung, Sony, Motorola, and HTC behind it, those predictions may come true.

I'm a big fan of Android, and a well-designed ereader that uses it could prove an interesting alternative to the iPad.

Cheers,

Michael P
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:41 AM   #11
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Quote:
I will try to answer your question, but I am not the most techy person around so this is the layman's view. And yes, I do have a Verizon Droid phone, but I do not like reading on the LCD though Aldiko is a very cool reading app and experimenting was fun.

To my understanding Android is a linux based mobile operating system created by Google. This means it is much more open for any developer who feels like making something and for anyone who likes the option to make changes to their phone as much as their carrier permits, unlike an Apple product locked down by Apple and the carrier (I am not sure how the Microsoft mobile platforms are about that so I am not comparing them). Also, there is a minimal process to submit an app to the Android Market. Recently a few apps were forcibly removed from Android phones, but I read the reason to be that they put people's phones at risk and the developer had removed the app from the store already for that reason. Unlike an iPhone, all of the US carriers have Android phones to choose from. Unlike a Blackberry phone, Android did not start primarly as a business tool so there are lots of really fun apps available and it does not have the business image to get around in order to attract developers and customers. Something like Kindle for Android is a big deal because for people owning an Android phone instead of a iPhone when that app came out were disappointed (if only I bought that one instead) and now they have it and are happy. This goes for any number of other apps because the iPhone app store was there first.

Joining the tablet computer race are several tablets that use the Android operating system. Due to its linux nature of needing minimal hardware resources, and how available to the world Google makes Android, these tablets should be inexpensive, fast, and have lots of apps & options available that will be from the normal Android Market, not a special one. Therefore at the least the idea of them is quite popular. We'll see how the actual devices do as they are rolled out.

I hope this explains it a bit and if I got anything glaringly incorrect, with some luck someone more knowledgable will provide a correction.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:26 AM   #12
Roger Parkinson
Zealot
Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S
Strangely enough I installed Android on my laptop recently. Well, when I say 'installed' I had a LiveCD which I booted off so it didn't go near the hard drive. It kind of worked, and kind of didn't. Mostly because the mouse doesn't quite do the right things. I'm guessing Android expects more complex gestures. Anyway, putting it on a laptop is a party trick rather than something useful. Though I could try actually reading the instructions I guess :-)

You can find it here

As they suggest, I loaded it into VirtualBox rather than have to reboot my machine.
Roger Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:43 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Yes I agree it's time for an Android section.
The place to make such a request is on the "Feedback" forum. Please create a thread there to discuss the issue.

Thanks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #14
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraD View Post
I will try to answer your question, but I am not the most techy person around so this is the layman's view. And yes, I do have a Verizon Droid phone, but I do not like reading on the LCD though Aldiko is a very cool reading app and experimenting was fun.

*snip*
that's more of an explanation than I have gotten anywhere else! so, to see if I got this right... it makes your device (mostly phones?) very customizable! as opposed to apps that leave you going.... "why on earth is this on here..."?
karma for trying!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #15
SaraD
Groupie

Quote:
that's more of an explanation than I have gotten anywhere else! so, to see if I got this right... it makes your device (mostly phones?) very customizable! as opposed to apps that leave you going.... "why on earth is this on here..."?
karma for trying!
Phones were the first thing to get Android and are the biggest part of the market so far, but I think the idea is that they are only the tip of the iceberg, or so Google is hoping. Many of the tablet computers being rumored will use Android as well. I think part of that is to avoid Microsoft, etc. licensing fees which are higher and would cut into a slim profit margin.

Yes, the Android phones and apps are more customizable than other smartphones (or as much as Verizon, etc. will allow). However, there are several pre-installed apps on my phone that I cannot remove put there by contracts between Verizon and say the Amazon mp3 store. The nice part is that if I want a different app to buy music I can go to the Market and get one without worrying that it will disappear because it was providing too much competition. And anybody who thinks they can make an app that does a better job than an existing one can do it.

My husband is an IT geek and very good at explaining technical mysteries so I understand and generally I can pass those explanations on to others fairly well. I'm glad the explanation was helpful to you.