Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2006, 02:34 AM   #16
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Groups on external card
Any hierarchal organization system. Any. Any semblance of one at all. Even have the "By Author" listing only show author names, and let you move down for the actual titles. I'd be happy with that. Very happy.

Having more than 6 pages of books is very difficult with a flat file system.

Just once is it possible for the sony software division not to ruin their hardware? (Granted, sometimes the hardware division does that all by itself, but really, don't help them) Or is that really too much to ask....
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:09 AM   #17
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
I'm in total agreement Kaitou,
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2006, 08:47 AM   #18
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfc
I'd rather have a long battery life than another clock.
Seeing as a PC keeps it's time for years with a simple little watch battery, I can't believe that time-tracking even when off drains that much on the battery. Ohh 7450 page turns instead!
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:24 AM   #19
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Ok, let me quote myself
>100) Add clock to status bar, sync it with PC, make it optional.

The keyword is "optional", even though updating just small area once a minute should not affect battery life.

Umm, another "keyword" is low priority (hint, see number 100).

--
They can even update clock only when whole page updated during page-turn to "save" energy, but it will get some people very confused
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clock.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	1793  

Last edited by Slava; 10-11-2006 at 12:53 PM.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:33 AM   #20
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I agree with all of the above, some more vehemently than others.

Also would like to see copywrite date on book list in the Connect Store.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2006, 11:50 AM   #21
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
The connect store! oh my. It needs to be completely revamped. First, on my laptop, I cannot see the entire store screen on the webpage. I have to scroll down and it isn't that intuitive that I need to do that.

Second, the new releases listed aren't new releases. On the Romance New Release page, not one is a new release. Some were released 2 or 3 years ago. Fictionwise has a search feature to search by original publication date and date added to Fictionwise because those can be very different. I suspect Sony's "new releases" are merely the date upon which they were added to the Connect store.

Third, the categorizations are so wrong. There are books in the romance section which are so clearly not romances, not even tangentially.

I am not sure why Sony wouldn't take a look at ereader and fictionwise and see what they had to offer and offer at least that much in the Connect Software in terms of search, display, bookshelf options.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:00 PM   #22
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfc
When the Reader is on but not turning the page, all it does is monitor for button presses. When you shut off the Reader isn't it completely off? That's why battery life is so good. I'd rather have a long battery life than another clock.

Yeah, I really don't see the need for a clock, either. I've got clocks on almost everything I own - it's a poor fit for the Reader.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:22 PM   #23
Bandito
Bandito began at the beginning.

Actually, the clock idea is very good as it could lead to some useful statistics. I'd love to know how long I actually spent reading a particular book. Reading it here and there for a few minutes or an hour over several days or weeks doesn't really give you a good idea of how much time you invested in book. So, a timer keeping track of when I was in that particular book would be interesting.

It could also lead to other statistics such as: average time per chapter, average time per page, average words per minute, etc.

Not earthshattering information by any means, but it would be very interesting to see and easy to implement.
Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:49 PM   #24
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Wellcome to MobileRead, Bandito! Hope you enjoy it here.

I agree that such stats would be interesting to really anal folks like myself. But I really don't see even me spending more than a passing, "huh, that's interesting" on it, so I don't think (speaking for myself) that it would be worth the effort needed to implement it.

I also don't think I, personally, care much about the clock. I did for a while, but I've pretty much gotten over it. My Palm has a clock, and I got used to being able to see the time right there while I was reading, but I've started to get used to not having it there too. It really isn't necessary to me to be able to see the time on the screen when I've got it on my wrist ... well in my pocket, as I use a pocketwatch, but you know what I mean.

I'd much rather have a chip in my head that receives the atomic clock signals. I don't want it constantly saying "at the sound of the tone ...." but I'd like to be able to query it when I wanted it -- that'd show that friend of my brother's who's always going on about how setting my watch to the atomic clock assumes that my watch has atomic accuracy, when his is six whole minutes different from mine! Like my watch'd have to be atomically accurate to not pick up six minutes in three hours. Pfff!

But I guess that won't happen anytime soon.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:00 PM   #25
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I love the idea about the clock-based stats! Pages/min for each book or overall. Estimates of how long the next chapter will take, so you can decide whether to call it quits or start the next chapter. You could even have a "time remaining estimate"! That would be a really extraneous feature, but if it was simple and seamless it would be a lot of fun. And you can't do that on a paper book! ;-)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:16 PM   #26
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
IMHO a clock function would be almost as useful as an MP3 player. Make whatever you wish from that statement.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:29 PM   #27
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I agree without reservation, slayda!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:41 PM   #28
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Come on, people, don't think about big pink elephant clock. Instead bring new bright ideas what needs to be added/improved/fixed
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:45 PM   #29
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
The main purpose of the clock for me is to see what time it is when I'm still up reading at 2:00am and know that I need to go to sleep or I'll be grumpy in the morning.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:14 PM   #30
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sorry Slava, but one more pink elephant comment... I have one (clock not elephant) with ereader, and I really like it! But for me it's not worth any significant battery drain or bulges in the case.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote