Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
What's up with the PB301?

I don't see it mentioned very much. Do we not have many PB301 owners here?
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
It's probably not such a hot item since there's a PB 302 that adds WiFi, Bluetooth, and a better battery. But the 301+ is a fine device. My wife and I love ours.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
From what I observed it is not that PocketBook 301+ is a less hot item than PB360 or PB302, just people who buy do not hang out on this forum that much as PB302 or PB360 owners. For example, Russian speaking folks love PB301+ but if they need a forum they usually go to the-ebook.org one.
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:59 AM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpupsik View Post
From what I observed it is not that PocketBook 301+ is a less hot item than PB360 or PB302, just people who buy do not hang out on this forum that much as PB302 or PB360 owners. For example, Russian speaking folks love PB301+ but if they need a forum they usually go to the-ebook.org one.
My wife absolutely adores her 301+. She is using it all the time and gets slightly upset if somebody tries to take it away from her (even for inspection or firmware update)

I guess the "problem" seems to be that it's just working like it is supposed to.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:10 AM   #5
spideyak
spideyak is on a distinguished road

Device: PocketBook 301+, Sony PRS-300
I have a Pocketbook 301+ and so far, it seems okay. I don't know how hot I am on it, though.

For one, it's super flimsy. The only other two ereaders I've used are a Sony PRS-505 & my wife's Sony PRS-300, both of which are extremely robust. I've traveled the world with my PRS-505, dropped it, had it dropped, had it in the Arctic Circle (which means it froze when I walked at -50+ degrees F) & more, and it still works fine. I'm afraid to take this Pocketbook outside...I'm rough on things & this doesn't feel like it will take my lifestyle (i.e., "Oops! I dropped my ereader, again).
spideyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyak View Post
I have a Pocketbook 301+ and so far, it seems okay. I don't know how hot I am on it, though.

For one, it's super flimsy. The only other two ereaders I've used are a Sony PRS-505 & my wife's Sony PRS-300, both of which are extremely robust. I've traveled the world with my PRS-505, dropped it, had it dropped, had it in the Arctic Circle (which means it froze when I walked at -50+ degrees F) & more, and it still works fine. I'm afraid to take this Pocketbook outside...I'm rough on things & this doesn't feel like it will take my lifestyle (i.e., "Oops! I dropped my ereader, again).
I don't know what a Pocketbook 301 is like in the flesh, but Sony does make the sturdiest ereaders around. No other brand comes close. The metal casing is like a fortress and makes the reader look and feel really classy.

I love my PB360 and also love how light it is compared to my Sonys, but they have it way beat in the well-built department. Plastic just can't compare to metal.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
spideyak
spideyak is on a distinguished road

Device: PocketBook 301+, Sony PRS-300
I've not seen a 360 in-the-flesh, but I'm sure it's about the same: plastic. Of all the reviews I've read, nobody really mentioned at how...plastic-y this thing was. I think I would not have bought it had I known.
spideyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:02 PM   #8
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyak View Post
I've not seen a 360 in-the-flesh, but I'm sure it's about the same: plastic. Of all the reviews I've read, nobody really mentioned at how...plastic-y this thing was. I think I would not have bought it had I known.
If you want metal Sony is your only choice. Every other reader I've had feels flimsy compared to a Sony.

That being said the PB360 is still quite sturdy. It is very firm plastic and the protective cover is hard as well. With the cover on, I feel quite safe chucking it into the great void of the diaper bag where it rattles along with a ton of miscellaneous junk. I don't think I would feel as confident putting my PRS-600 or PRS-900 in there—if the cover opens the screen could get ruined.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:02 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
If you want metal Sony is your only choice. Every other reader I've had feels flimsy compared to a Sony.
One very good reason that many modern devices are NOT made entirely of metal is that they have either WiFi or 3G - metal blocks the signal. Eg, the BeBook Neo (my personal favourite reader) has an aluminium back, but a plastic front, for that reason. It too is extremely sturdy.

I believe that the PB301 is based in the Netronix EB600 hardware platform - the same as the CyBook Gen3, Cool-ER, etc. This is not one of the sturdier devices, I have to agree.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
I recently got the Astak Mentor, which is the same hardware as the 301, and I'm actually enjoying how light it is. It's much easier to manage, for me, than a Sony 505 or 600 for the same size screen. I guess one man's "flimsy" is another man's "lightweight"
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:59 AM   #11
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
Perhaps the fact that here are so less postings about the 301, is an indicator, that there are very few problems with it
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #12
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
Sorry if this is a little off-topic, but I was wondering what are the essential things to have on a Pocketbook (such as the 301+) that does not come with the reader as standard?

as for the original topic, I guess the Nook is probably getting all the attention at the moment...
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:09 AM   #13
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
I love PB301 and to tell you the truth, I read all my books on it (obviously, I have all three models of PocketBooks at home)
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:11 AM   #14
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewyng View Post
Sorry if this is a little off-topic, but I was wondering what are the essential things to have on a Pocketbook (such as the 301+) that does not come with the reader as standard?

as for the original topic, I guess the Nook is probably getting all the attention at the moment...
It's the firmware that is different from all others... it supports folders, various formats and languages, works with multiple dictionaries, fonts and allows very many ways to change the look of your ebook on a device (margins, page-brakes, interlineage, etc).
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote