Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Have I Seen the Light?

Like a few others, I too received a Sony PRS-505 for Xmas. It was one of those accidental gifts.

While my wife and I were out shopping before Xmas, I discovered that a new Sony Style store had opened in our local mall. So while my wife finished some shopping, I decided to check out the new PRS-700 so as to see what all the fuss was about regarding to the screen.

After a very short time of using the -700, I decided that I really liked the touchscreen interface...but that screen. Yuck. If anything the photos posted previously didn't do justice to just how bad the -700 screen looked.

So where does the Xmas gift come into play? As I was playing (err......evaluating!) both PRS's, my better half shows up and asks what I was doing. So I explained.

She remembered back when I was originally looking at the -505 before I bought the cyBook and asked what I thought about the -505 now that I'd had the cyBook for 8 months. After I told her, she said let's buy the -505 as your Xmas gift. When I told her that I didn't need two readers, she simply said you can always sell one of them. (!)

So I now have two readers.

...and I'll note that my principle negative problem with the -505 page keys being hard to use (the ones on the right side) still exists, but using Jeff E.'s excellent prscustomizer to configure the right joypad for page turns makes a world of difference. If those keys were customizable way back when, who knows which reader I would have bought

...now to figure out what these 'collections' are all about.....

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Congrats!

That is strange though, the buttons on the right side work just fine for me
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
To me the default button layout is rather perfect. I wouldn't change a thing.

Then again, to each his own.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
To me the default button layout is rather perfect. I wouldn't change a thing.

Then again, to each his own.
I agree. I think it all has to do with how you hold the Reader while you're reading. I've never had a bit of trouble using the default button layout (using the left joy-button for page turns).

I never use the page turn buttons on the right side. I generally forget they are there.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's definitely due to the way one holds the reader. For the way I tend to hold the unit, the right joypad provides the most comfortable placement.

-Jeff
Advert
Old 01-05-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi Jeff

So another "seeing the light" moment I see.

I think one of the reasons you feel so well with the right joypad is because it's precisely where the cursor if in the Cybook.

Any thoughts already from comparing the two of them?

Have great fun with your new toy,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
JWLaRue
Addict

Ya, know......I hadn't thought about the relationship of the joypad to the cyBook! That's got to be part of it.

As for comparisons, my impressions to date include:

PRS-505 - heavier, more robust construction, *never* misses a page turn(!), much longer battery life, page turns marginally faster

cyBook - lighter (and so far a bit easier to hold), better font size support built-in, dictionary support (I'm using the Chambers dictionary)

I'm still working on which one I prefer...that'll have to come after more extensive testing.

-Jeff