Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 05-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #1
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
Tor and Macmillan to release audiobooks as podcasts

I came across an interesting short news audio file from NPR:

http://www.npr.org/2017/05/17/528730...-to-audiobooks

This led me to dig a little further, which led to this article:

http://www.tor.com/2017/05/01/tor-labs-announcement/

Here is the part that will interest most of you:

Quote:
Steal the Stars is a noir science fiction thriller in 14 episodes, airing weekly from August 2 – November 1, 2017, and available worldwide on all major podcast distributors through the Macmillan Podcast Network. It will be followed immediately by a novelization of the entire serial from Tor Books, as well as an ads-free audio book of the podcast from Macmillan Audio.
Basically, Tor and Macmillan will be releasing original content as a serialized podcast. When they are done it will become a book and audiobook, but only after the podcast is done. I suppose this isn't so different from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy;" that seemed to work out so it is worth a try.

skinmaan
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:18 AM   #2
Keslynn
Plausible Deniability
Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini 4
For a while in the mid to late 2000s, a lot of undiscovered authors were podcasting their books. I discovered Scott Sigler, JC Hutchins, Matt Wallace, and a few others this way. It also led to me starting to listen to more audiobooks. Although I have mostly been listening to traditional audiobooks the past few years, I think I'll still enjoy the serialized podcast format. I don't mind hearing a few ads for a free good-quality listen.

I was checking out the websites to see what the authors I listed above are up to now, and it seems that Scott Sigler still podcasts his books. If you enjoy horror/scifi, you might like his work. The chapters/episodes are free on iTunes or your favorite podcast app. I listened to Infected in podcast format and enjoyed it.
Keslynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keslynn View Post
For a while in the mid to late 2000s, a lot of undiscovered authors were podcasting their books. I discovered Scott Sigler, JC Hutchins, Matt Wallace, and a few others this way. It also led to me starting to listen to more audiobooks. Although I have mostly been listening to traditional audiobooks the past few years, I think I'll still enjoy the serialized podcast format. I don't mind hearing a few ads for a free good-quality listen.

I was checking out the websites to see what the authors I listed above are up to now, and it seems that Scott Sigler still podcasts his books. If you enjoy horror/scifi, you might like his work. The chapters/episodes are free on iTunes or your favorite podcast app. I listened to Infected in podcast format and enjoyed it.
I am familiar with authors podcasting their own work with them reading. I particularly enjoyed Mur Lafferty's "The Shambling Guide to New New York" as a podcast (along with its sequel). It's not as common to find them with professional voice actors, though. Last year we got one of the still-copyrighted Agatha Christie stories via podcast. Baen also serializes their Audible titles at the end of their podcasts (though they have this stupid music overlapping each episode just to annoy their listeners).
Old 05-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
I am familiar with authors podcasting their own work with them reading. I particularly enjoyed Mur Lafferty's "The Shambling Guide to New New York" as a podcast (along with its sequel). It's not as common to find them with professional voice actors, though. Last year we got one of the still-copyrighted Agatha Christie stories via podcast. Baen also serializes their Audible titles at the end of their podcasts (though they have this stupid music overlapping each episode just to annoy their listeners).
I picked up Larry Corriea short story that was put out by Baen. One of those that had lots of different voice actors and sound effects. More like an old fashion radio show than an audiobook. Can't say that I was terribly fond of it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:16 PM   #5
skinmaan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I picked up Larry Corriea short story that was put out by Baen. One of those that had lots of different voice actors and sound effects. More like an old fashion radio show than an audiobook. Can't say that I was terribly fond of it.
I got that one, too. The only problem with it is that I love Bronson Pinchot's narration for the books so much, and the voice he does for Jake is so distinctive, I couldn't really get into the person playing Jake in the full-cast version. Otherwise it was a decent short story adaptation.
Advert
Old 05-19-2017, 04:05 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
I got that one, too. The only problem with it is that I love Bronson Pinchot's narration for the books so much, and the voice he does for Jake is so distinctive, I couldn't really get into the person playing Jake in the full-cast version. Otherwise it was a decent short story adaptation.
Yep, he's one of my favorite readers.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote