Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 06-28-2016, 09:53 AM   #1
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Possible bug with negative text-indent?

I have a commercial epub that displays paragraphs with text-indent: -1em differently between M2 and M3. M3 is truncating from the left (see first attachment), whereas M2, ADE and Calibre viewer do not truncate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006(1).JPG
Views:	562
Size:	495.8 KB
ID:	149754

The attached Test - ShellShock.epub demonstrates the problem (the first paragraph).

Test - ShellShock.epub

I am not sure what the correct behaviour should be? Is M3 correct and the other viewers wrong?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:43 PM   #2
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
Yes there is an issue that affects at least certain uses of indents like hanging; not sure about padding or a combination. I've also sent some sample ePubs. Hopefully it's not too difficult to fix.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2016, 06:23 PM   #3
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I have a commercial epub that displays paragraphs with text-indent: -1em differently between M2 and M3. M3 is truncating from the left (see first attachment), whereas M2, ADE and Calibre viewer do not truncate.

Attachment 149754

The attached Test - ShellShock.epub demonstrates the problem (the first paragraph).

Attachment 149756

I am not sure what the correct behaviour should be? Is M3 correct and the other viewers wrong?
Calibre E-book Viewer is correct, and Marvin 3 is wrong. What a step backward from Marvin 2 (now Marvin Classic)!

A good test case. The actual text-indent of an HTML element should be relative to that of its parent (and recursively).

Another way to see who's right is by unzipping the test case, and opening the relevant HTML file in your favorite desktop browser.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:44 AM   #4
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
I don't remember if it's been mentioned, but since it's related to this perhaps by how the CSS is modified, the fix might be related as well.

In various ePubs, as well as one I'm working on now, quotes are inside a margined div and set to a smaller font:

Quote:
div.quote > p { font-size:90% }
M3 displays it larger. For that, margins, and maybe other things, it seems many tags might be overwritten. For font-size, is it safer to just override the body tag? Maybe text-indent can be fixed though since it could be tricky, I wouldn't mind not having a feature to adjust it. I'm not sure if there are other CSS elements that might show errors, but could it be wiser, for other CSS, to overwrite only some tags, like p, and if something is defined in another class, let it be?

Last edited by democrite; 07-03-2016 at 08:20 AM.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:05 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't expect this issue to be fixed. I reported that a text-indent of 0 doesn't work and it's been ignored.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2017, 06:31 PM   #6
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Unfortunately, Marvin isn't being consistently developed (only occasionally now, it seems), the official bug-tracker at GitHub has been pretty much dead/ignored for a couple of years now... so, we shouldn't really expect anything from the app from now on. I know I don't. If Kris one day finds the time again to improve something in Marvin (however, quite a few things got worse in Marvin 3 compared to earlier Marvin versions, although overall, Marvin 3 is an improvement...), that will be a great and unexpected bonus for me. And no, I'm not "blaming or shaming" anyone – just stating the facts. I have full understanding for the fact that there apparently is no livelihood to be earned from developing a top-quality e-reader app. And so, we must be content with approximations (very rough, in many respects) to the ideal.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote