Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
pearlie
pearlie began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, new iPad
What format and which platform? I'm stuck.

I hope some of you can give me some advice. I have spent quite a bit in buying biblical commentaries, both in printed and ebook format. My ecommentaries are all from Logos.com and they have just recently been made accessible in my iPhone and iPad, which is great but I am not too happy with the app - it is not as seamless as the Kindle reader app.

Now I need one more commentary but I'm kind of in a dilemma not knowing which option to take:

1. Printed hard copy will cost about USD39. Generally, I would prefer a electronic copy because it will be more mobile and accessible. But this is a reference book and my other books in the same series are all in printed form.
2. For an electronic copy, it will be good to have it in my Logos collection but it is the costliest at USD44.
3. The most affordable will be the Kindle copy at only USD28 but my books in Kindle are really a mixture and I find it odd to have a commentary in the midst of all my casual reads

Which option will you take and why? For me at this point, I really cannot decide. And I hope to hear from you to help me decide. Thanks!
pearlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Since it's just one book, I would go for option #1 because I prefer to have all books in a series in the same format.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #3
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlie View Post
I hope some of you can give me some advice. I have spent quite a bit in buying biblical commentaries, both in printed and ebook format. My ecommentaries are all from Logos.com and they have just recently been made accessible in my iPhone and iPad, which is great but I am not too happy with the app - it is not as seamless as the Kindle reader app.

Now I need one more commentary but I'm kind of in a dilemma not knowing which option to take:

1. Printed hard copy will cost about USD39. Generally, I would prefer a electronic copy because it will be more mobile and accessible. But this is a reference book and my other books in the same series are all in printed form.
2. For an electronic copy, it will be good to have it in my Logos collection but it is the costliest at USD44.
3. The most affordable will be the Kindle copy at only USD28 but my books in Kindle are really a mixture and I find it odd to have a commentary in the midst of all my casual reads

Which option will you take and why? For me at this point, I really cannot decide. And I hope to hear from you to help me decide. Thanks!
First let me say that I buy almost all my books in eBook form if it's available as an eBook. That's my bias.

For reference books I find it is best to download the free Kindle for Mac (or PC) app and read them on the larger screen. Besides being bigger, the keyboard makes it much easier to enter searches and I can pop up a note taking program like Evernote in addition to the bookmarks and notations in the eBook. It's much easier to highlight and make notes on the computer as well.

I think Kindle for Mac (I don't know about the PC app but I assume it's the same) lets you export your notes and print them if you want which, of course, can't be done directly on the Kindle.

I think cross referencing works better on the computer. I have a NIV Bible in Kindle format but there are several others in the Amazon store.

And of course you can still put it on your Kindle and your phone and iPad as well and keep it all handy.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:16 AM   #4
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlie View Post
I found that paper copies of commentaries are the way to go. I found Logos to be too burdensome and unwieldy for extensive study on a passage--I like to have a few different commentaries on hand, and I like to evaluate large chunks of the various authors' arguments at the same time. I use Logos primarily for language reference works.

Advantages of paper commentaries:
- You can read them w/ a pen in hand and I find this helps me retain the argument
- You can usually find a smoking deal on a used commentary
- Even new, they usually cost a lot less than the e-books on Logos--those prices are extortionate at times.
- They make your office look great
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
pearlie
pearlie began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, new iPad
Thanks y'all.
I have not decided yet, but my tendency for now is to the hardcopy.
pearlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert