View Poll Results: The New Kindles -- Like'em or Hate'em
Like'em 141 66.82%
Hate'em 13 6.16%
Still deciding 57 27.01%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
The New Kindles -- Like'em or Hate'em?

I like the contrast of the new Paperwhite model, but I doubt I would trade in my K3 for this model. I like having the physical buttons. However, I'm going to head down to a locale retailer so I can see it for myself. Maybe the pretty white screen will win me over and I'll change my mind. On another note, there is still no support of ePub. That is dissapointing.

I would have to compare the 7" Kindle Fire with the Google Nexus 7. For me, a device that supports Jelly Bean and has access to the Google Play store has a huge advantage over one that doesn't. I like using Google Now and look forward to future advancements to Google Now and to Android that just won't be available on Amazon's non-standard Android version. I also just bought some NFC capable speakers to use with my phone. The Nexus 7 has NFC support, but the new Fire didn't mention support, so presumably it doesn't support it. No mention of GPS either -- bummer.

I would have to compare the 8.9" Kindle Fire to the Apple iPad. The new Fire is just too small. If I wanted a portable I'd go with the 7" model. If I want a good sized screen then 8.9" is just not cutting it. This is a huge fail in my opinion. Yes, it is a lot cheaper than the iPad, but Amazon could have designed a 10" version that was cheaper than an iPad. Bezos should stop listening to his wife --- size matters. Plus, the 8.9" version also has many of the same flaws as the 7" version.

How about the 4G LTE version at $499 plus $50 a year? You only get 250MB a month. What the hell are you going to stream with that? Forget movies and Pandora. This might actually be pretty cool with a better data plan. Then again, I pay $30 a month for unlimited data (5GB at 4G speed) and I can tether a device to my phone. Thus I don't need to pay an extra $200 to get the 4G LTE modem in my tablet.

Last edited by Daithi; 09-06-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
I'm curious what the UI is like...hopefully there's more to it than just text..
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
I'll buy the new Paperwhite Kindle on January of 2013, when I finally get to visit civilization again

IOW, love 'em
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
While you dismiss the larger model as too small, I think it would be big enough compared with an iPad and would be more comfortable to hold due to the slightly smaller screen and battery.

Personally, I find my 7" tab is fine for most stuff, but needs to be a tad bigger for zinio or many PDFs to be ideal.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
I love the Paperwhite (and am waiting to order one). I have an iPad and a Galaxy Tab 2 7", so I'm not interested in the tablets. Besides, while I'm tied to Apple for my iPad, I like the freedom I have with my Galaxy Tab and just don't fancy having another tablet tied to a specific retailer.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Like 'em. A bit skeptible on the 'paperwhite' color though.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I'll have to wait for reviews and test drive it myself.

I think the contrast is still the same. It's the light that makes it "paperwhite". You can do the same with your light. The higher resolution is good. But the Iriver hd also had the same res and IIRC reviewers didn't see an appreciale difference. Maybe iriver just sucks. We will see.

I like that they have adjustable light level. Shows they put some thought into it and not just added a me too feature.

I think the capacitative touch will be more responsive than IR.

I like the time remaining feature. Hope it can be toggled because I don't want to see "4 days 6 hours 33 mins remaining" down there all the time.

I hope they didn't kill TTS now that they added audio/text integration. That would suck for me.

$299 for the fire hd is very good. $499 for 4g version is way overpriced. 250mb is nothing. I think the average web page weighs in at over one meg now. But hey, some people have money to burn.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Just pre-ordered it!

I like the NG, but if the illumination is more balanced and even, I would definitely prefer the Kindle...

Last edited by David58117; 09-06-2012 at 04:17 PM.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Looks fantastic!
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
The New Kindles -- Like'em or Hate'em
I "meh" the hell out of 'em.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Disappointed. I love my K4, but would have rather have the option of paperwhite than a cheaper price. I guess I will just read at night on my kf, as I have been. The longer battery life is really tempting, though.

I am very disappointed in the kf options. The larger one, at $299, doesn't tempt me as much as the Nexus 7. And the $499 for 250 mg? You have got to be kidding. I think I will buy a Nexus 7, and buy an ipad mini for my daughter. My kf and k4 will be just for reading.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #12
alism
Connoisseur
alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD, Kindle 3, KPW,
I like the increased resolution and the light but coming from the Kindle 3 I am very disappointed that it only has 2 Gb and seem to have took out the audio.
alism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #13
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I just plain have no interest in another tablet -- I just don't use the ones I have enough to justify wanting newer and better.

I'm fairly ambivalent about the Paperwhite, like the screen despise no page turn button (from what I can see there isn't one there). I clicked pre-order and I'll probably change my mind at least 6 times before the ship date.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I'm cautiously optimistic about the Fire HD. I want a new tablet this fall and the Fire HD looks like it's got a good fit on hardware. Screen's a bit smaller than I would like but at least it's bigger than 7" which is just too small for comics.

The real question mark for me is app support. If it supports ComiXology, it's probably a go due to the combination of price and resolution. If it doesn't - then the hardware is useless to me.

Just heard from ComiXology - they're going to be supported on the Fire HD out of the box. No word on CMX-HD yet.

Last edited by Lemurion; 09-06-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Good news
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #15
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Like'em or Love'em?
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote