Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Avatars, why not our own pictures?

After discussing the topic of avatars with someone recently we decided that it seems strange to not use a picture of our selves.

So my question is simple, why not use your real picture?

I'm not the best looking bloke about, but I figure since I'm asking the question I'll change my avatar to a likeness of me, sorry I have been known to scare small children, so please keep them away from the screen.

I ask anyone that wishes to, change your avatar and don't leave me being the only fool thats done it.

Cheers
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
There are probably as many reasons for people not using their real picture as there are people themselves. I'd bet some of the more common ones would be: to add another level of anonymity to their on-line activities, embarrassment over their pictures, avatars are more fun and can be more expressive, or even that they don't have an image of themselves to post.

With that being said I'll change mine to a real picture, granted it is a few years old, but it is still pretty close, maybe a few pounds lighter in the picture.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Mine would probably break the server. Dogs have been known to go temporarily insane when they see my photo. My face could rust a pile of chains. Do you really want that sort of epic horror burned onto your retinas?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can have a picture of yourself, as I have.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Search out some of the "meet up" threads and you will find lots of photos of members from all around the world.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

DixieGal, I am sure you exaggerate immensely, but I never suggested that anyone should or must, I'm really more interested in why they don't

dsvick, the camera 10 pounds, but in my avatar I'm pretty sure it added 20. Thanks for the answer.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
What? You think mine is not real?

I'm hurt! Hurt I say!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia

I'm sure you are much better looking in person Kenny, in a Bro sorta way :P
Old 03-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
What??? And not show off my pride and joy??
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #10
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
My avatar is, at the moment, a portrait of me by the famous Danish artist Michael Kvium...sorry to disappoint
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Mostly because *I* dislike how I look in photographs. This one is kind of old (Oh, about 45 years old ), when I had more and shorter hair.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #12
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
I'm sure you are much better looking in person Kenny, in a Bro sorta way :P
Oh I don't know. Some have seen my self portrait. Here's a link:

http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum...rk&img=20&tn=1

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia

TGS, why would that disappoint anyone, I think your avatar is great.

jgaiser, I've a pair of glasses exactly like those, I doubt I have one of me thats 45 years old, there was that one of me on the bearskin rug, all nuddy, not something anyone should ever have to see.

Kenny, I saw the self portrait, and as I said about TGS' avatar, great avatar, in your case it could be a great avatar.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #14
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
After discussing the topic of avatars with someone recently we decided that it seems strange to not use a picture of our selves.

[SNIP]
I dunno... why not?

Xenophon
(hint: that's me in the pic)
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #15
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia

Xenophon, I'n mot the only one then, but your dressed much better.

Cheers