Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #571
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Is there any way to get margins working properly after a page break, or is this a legitimate bug?
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #572
wallaceff
wallaceff began at the beginning.

Device: Android
I want to love this app, really I do, but I can't quite.
Basically, I use ebook readers for reading medical text books. Most of them are .mobi format from amazon, a few .chm files here and there.
Some of them are up to 50mb in size, some chm files are 150mb in size.
My problems are the following.
The books generally contain pictures and tables.

1) App craches on large books
2) some CHM files do not even display the table of contents
3) TOC not displayed in some .mobi files
4) some books that have a TOC that is longer than 1 line, it scrolls off the screen, I need to see the rest of the words in the TOC
5) TOC does not actually work for some CHM files, clicking doesn't take me anywhere
6) VERY long loading times on .mobi files. The kindle app opens in less than 2 seconds on my galaxy S2, same books takes about 20 seconds to open on CoolReader
7) In document html links (sometimes to a table or a picture inside the document) do not work (perhaps by design, but wish it would work).

This is compared with FB Reader and Amazon Kindle app and other CHM readers.

I think I have some other issues, but they are the main ones that come to mind.
I'm not prepared to post the books on this forum (obviously very large aswell), but if someone is very keen, I could consider posting privately.

Otherwise, I like the scrolling nature of the app and some other little features here and there.
wallaceff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #573
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
I wanted to post my appreciation for this app. It took some time to figure out how to use it the way I wanted, but once configured, I'm very pleased with this app. Things I like:
  • Can completely customize display - I set a plain gray background, along with lowest possible brightness setting
  • Uses any TTF font - I use Georgia
  • Reads books from anywhere, no need to 'import' to specific location. This is critical to me so I can map a share on my PC and access books via WIFI.
  • Can override book CSS, so I can force left justification
  • Customizeable dictionary options - I set word double tap to open dictionary
I know some other apps have some of these capabilities, but I now realize I want them all
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #574
frank_m
frank_m began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab 7.7
I'm using Coll Reader on Android, it is my favourite eBook Reader.

I have a strange problem, which I could confirm on the Android as well as on the Windows Version of CR3. After around 2000 characters in one line there is an unnecessary line wrap.

I have attached a screenshot from a German eBook, the line wrap is marked. The book is a txt file.
Click image for larger version

Name:	LineWrap.png
Views:	331
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	84800
In this case, the Word "jetzt" is the one exceeding the 2000 characters in the line. After this word the wrap is applied, in this case after 2004 characters.

Second Example:
Click image for larger version

Name:	LineWrap2.png
Views:	300
Size:	332.9 KB
ID:	84801
Here it is the Word "seine", the line wrap is applied after 2001 characters. Please pay attention to the fact, that the line wrap is applied after a full word.
Lines shorter than 2000 characters are not wrapped.

Of course the source files do not contain the line wrap, a return or a special character at this point. I have checked this.

Do you have any hint for me?

Last edited by frank_m; 04-02-2012 at 04:59 PM.
frank_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #575
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciurius View Post
I've created a small tester ebook to show some problems with vertical space. You can download it from http://www.squirrel.nl/pub/xfer/tester-20120221.epub .

When shown in Cool Reader, with "Enable document internal styles", the vertical space settings (margin-top) for the paragraphs are not honoured. In the "default paragraph settings", all settings are set to "-" where possible.

May I assume that this is a bug or am I overlooking some extra setting?

I'm running CR 3.0.55-32 on Archos 10.1 IT (UrukDroid 1.6.2).
I noticed this issue also, on both the latest Android and Windows version of Cool Reader. Sometimes an author will add extra space between paragraphs to indicate a change of scene without a new chapter. Cool Reader removes this space, even if "enable document internal styles" is true.

Sometimes removing extra vertical space is a good thing. Sometimes it is not. Here is an example of a space between paragraphs:
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Red-headed_League
If you search for "very remarkable narrative" it occurs right before the space. Cool Reader will remove this space.

There should be some way to retain this type of space.

Note: I sent an email to the author. Will post back if he replies. Is there a better way to report issues?

Last edited by ectoplasm; 04-03-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Advert
Old 04-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #576
Smalis
Smalis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Black text in night mode - can't get it to turn white

Love this app on my Android devices (using ver. 3.0.56-5) - but, with a few books, the text stays black when I switch to night mode, even though the background does properly change.

In the third tab of options, I do have "Text color" set to white when "Night mode" is checked, so I am not sure what is going on.

I tried enabling and disabling "document internal styles" and "Document embedded fonts," but no luck.

I did a search and did not see anyone else report this issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited by Smalis; 04-03-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Smalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #577
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
I noticed this issue also, on both the latest Android and Windows version of Cool Reader. Sometimes an author will add extra space between paragraphs to indicate a change of scene without a new chapter. Cool Reader removes this space, even if "enable document internal styles" is true.
Note that "enable document internal styles" option is not suitable for txt files. I don't have Android at hands but I think there should be there option or touch action like "Enable/Disable text autoformat"
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #578
ectoplasm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbo View Post
Note that "enable document internal styles" option is not suitable for txt files. I don't have Android at hands but I think there should be there option or touch action like "Enable/Disable text autoformat"
Actually I use either EPUB or MOBI. There is a free Kindle version of the book I was using as an example, search for "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes kindle" on Amazon, and the same text is in that book. I notice the problem in any book where there should sometimes be extra space between paragraphs. I've also played with all the settings with no change. I'm familiar at this point with most of the settings and features in Cool Reader.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #579
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
Actually I use either EPUB or MOBI.
I'm sorry , I was thinking about message from frank_m when answered to your post. I guess in your case this is a bug or limitation in css processing hope Buggins will reply to you soon.
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #580
ectoplasm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggins View Post
I'm planning to implement reading position and bookmarks sync feature (between CoolReader instances on different devices, and on desktop) based on DropBox.
I'm desperate for this feature!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #581
Talayero
Talayero began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars E Reader
Hi, I'm using Coolreader in a rooted Sony PRS-T1

I'm very very glad with it.
The only problem so far is with the highlights of text. It's dark (black) and you can't read the text at all (I suppose that doesn't happen in a tablet or a colour device).

Is there a way to apply some transparency to the highlight?

Thank you in advance.
Talayero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:12 AM   #582
mightymouse2045
Enthusiast
mightymouse2045 began at the beginning.

Device: xoom
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggins View Post
Cool Reader 3 Android port is available on Market
Hi - can anyone help out with OPDS configuration?

I am trying to open my Calibre library which has a password - if I put in

Neither option works - the first doesn't prompt me for a username and password and the second option just fails.
mightymouse2045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #583
sun4384
sun4384 can extract oil from cheesesun4384 can extract oil from cheesesun4384 can extract oil from cheesesun4384 can extract oil from cheesesun4384 can extract oil from cheesesun4384 can extract oil from cheesesun4384 can extract oil from cheesesun4384 can extract oil from cheese

In rooted Nook Simple Touch, when using file browser to find a book or setting options, dividing lines are invisible: only very short lines on the left edge (like 2mm) are visible. Might be the case other e-ink based readers suffer the same issue?

By the way, when using external CSS, text-indent doesn't work sometimes. Cool Reader seems to be handling this on its own. Suppose we have
.quote {text-indent:10em; margin-top:2em; margin-left:2em; margin-right:2em; }
.quote +p {text-indent: 5em; margin-top: 2em;}
then the second text-indent rule is always ignored.

Additionally, font-family doesn't work at all.

Last edited by sun4384; 04-14-2012 at 03:31 PM.
sun4384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #584
Cayo
Enthusiast
Cayo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cayo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cayo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cayo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

One of the recent updates to Cool Reader broke the ability to use books on the external sd card. Can this be fixed, please?
Cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:15 AM   #585
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayo View Post
One of the recent updates to Cool Reader broke the ability to use books on the external sd card. Can this be fixed, please?
You did not specify which Android device you are having that problem with. I have no such problem on any of my Android devices.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cool reader, fb2 epub rtf chm fbreader