Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
macgeek21
macgeek21 began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
remove drm from epub

ok so i have removed the drm from the epub books that i bought using sonys ebook store. i want to put these onto my kindle once i get it so im told i need to put the books into mobi format. however when i use calibre to try and do that it gives me an error message saying WARNING: Could not convert some books: Could not convert 13 of 13 books, because no suitable source format was found. the files are not corrupted because i can read them using adobe digital editions. anyone have any idea why it won't work?
macgeek21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Not a very informative title and it probably belongs in the Calibre group for better experts. But a couple of questions. Did you try it one at a time to see what the error message be? Did you try reading it will Calibre reader to see what the error message might be?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
macgeek21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Not a very informative title and it probably belongs in the Calibre group for better experts. But a couple of questions. Did you try it one at a time to see what the error message be? Did you try reading it will Calibre reader to see what the error message might be?

Dale
same thing. how do i get calibre reader?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek21 View Post
same thing. how do i get calibre reader?
Calibre reader is built-in — just click the View button.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
macgeek21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
Calibre reader is built-in — just click the View button.
same result. for some reason calibre is not able to see what format the file is in.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
macgeek21

for some reason when i removed the drm it forgot what format it was in.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
for some reason when i removed the drm it forgot what format it was in.
Open it in notepad but do not save it from there. What does the first line say? Any clear text?

Dale
Old 01-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
same result. for some reason calibre is not able to see what format the file is in.
Did you strip the DRM before or after you imported the books in Calibre?
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
macgeek21

Quote:
Open it in notepad but do not save it from there. What does the first line say? Any clear text?

Dale
i fixed it all i had to do was add .epub to the file name.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #10
macgeek21

Quote:

Dale
nope gibberish
Old 01-26-2010, 01:17 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
nope gibberish

then it is still not a correct ePUB. yes you do have to have an ePUB extension. This is a must but a good ePUB file must also have a mimetype in clear text at the beginning of the file. It was probably reassembled incorrectly after the DRM removal.

Dale