Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Doom 2 seen running on an E-Ink display

To the ambitious Kindle developers that might have missed this: http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets...splay-2011048/ based on a port of http://prboom.sourceforge.net/about.html to the PocketBook.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
B_Lizzard
B_Lizzard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
We could have things like this if SDL worked. I've tried SDL with DirectFB and SDL with the plain framebuffer backend and none do screen updates. I guess I'll have to add some e-ink specific code to the backends in order for them to work.
B_Lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Ipad does it better.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:09 AM   #4
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Ipad does it better.
Nintendo DS would work better than the iPad :P
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
Nintendo DS would work better than the iPad :P
Probably so. But even though the gray tones in the video make it nearly impossible to see, it is still sort of cool to see the edges that they are squeezing from such limited graphics ability.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
axsdenied
axsdenied began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I was reading about EPD controllers and they seem to be able to easily do 50HZ refresh rates on e-paper screens:
http://vdc.epson.com/index.php?optio...=287&Itemid=99

Also, as shown by this demo, the slow refresh is possibly just a software thing and not the e-paper technology.
axsdenied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I'd rather have color than a screen that refreshes 50 times per second. You've gotta remember that E-Ink draws power every time the screen changes. Fast refresh will drain the battery like crazy.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
[root@kindle games]# prboom -help

prboom v2.5.0 (http://prboom.sourceforge.net/)
I_SetAffinityMask: manual affinity mask is 1
M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
default file: /home/root/.prboom/prboom.cfg
found /usr/share/games/doom/doom1.wad
IWAD found: /usr/share/games/doom/doom1.wad
PrBoom (built Sep 23 2012), playing: DOOM Shareware
PrBoom is released under the GNU General Public license v2.0.
You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
It comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. See the file COPYING for details.
V_Init: allocate screens.
found /usr/share/games/doom/prboom.wad
D_InitNetGame: Checking for network game.
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
adding /usr/share/games/doom/doom1.wad
adding /usr/share/games/doom/prboom.wad
W_InitCache

M_Init: Init miscellaneous info.
R_Init: Init DOOM refresh daemon -
R_LoadTrigTables: Endianness...ok.
R_InitData: Textures Flats Sprites Tranmap build [........]
R_Init: R_InitPlanes R_InitLightTables R_InitSkyMap R_InitTranslationsTables R_InitPatches
P_Init: Init Playloop state.
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
I_InitSound: couldn't open audio with desired format
S_Init: Setting up sound.
S_Init: default sfx volume 8
HU_Init: Setting up heads up display.
I_InitGraphics: 640x480
I_UpdateVideoMode: 640x480 (fullscreen)
V_InitMode: using 8 bit video mode
I_SetRes: Using resolution 640x480
Couldn't set 640x480 video mode [No video mode large enough for 640x480]

Hmm a little bit more massage still required
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #9
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[root@kindle root]# export SDL_VIDEODRIVER=dummy
[root@kindle root]# prboom

W_InitCache

R_Init: R_InitPlanes R_InitLightTables R_InitSkyMap R_InitTranslationsTables R_InitPatches
I_InitGraphics: 640x480
I_UpdateVideoMode: 640x480 (fullscreen)
I_SetRes: Using resolution 640x480
I_UpdateVideoMode: 0xe0000000, SDL buffer, direct access
ST_Init: Init status bar.
G_DoPlayDemo: playing demo with doom/doom2 v1.9 compatibility
P_GetNodesVersion: using normal BSP nodes
^CI_SignalHandler: Exiting on signal: signal 2
[root@kindle root]#

So it runs okay. Just need to fix up the fbcon stuff...
Old 09-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #10
twobob

Progess!!

[root@kindle root]# export SDL_VIDEODRIVER=fbcon
[root@kindle root]# prboom -width 320 -height 200

Quote:
W_InitCache

I_InitGraphics: 320x200
I_UpdateVideoMode: 320x200 (fullscreen)
I_SetRes: Using resolution 320x200
I_UpdateVideoMode: 0xe0000000, SDL buffer, direct access
ST_Init: Init status bar.
G_DoPlayDemo: playing demo with doom/doom2 v1.9 compatibility
P_GetNodesVersion: using normal BSP nodes
^CI_SignalHandler: Exiting on signal: signal 2
So that's fbcon happy. time to add some fbflips methinks.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
... So it runs okay. Just need to fix up the fbcon stuff...
I could look at fbcon (RSN). Build instructions?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #12
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by axsdenied View Post
I was reading about EPD controllers and they seem to be able to easily do 50HZ refresh rates on e-paper screens:
http://vdc.epson.com/index.php?optio...=287&Itemid=99

Also, as shown by this demo, the slow refresh is possibly just a software thing and not the e-paper technology.
That 50 Hz is partial non-overlapping region update rate. You can have multiple simultaneous updates in progress, but if they overlap, the get queued up serially. Each update can take up to 300 msec according to the docs. I "overclock" that to 130 msec but not waiting until "ready" before starting another update. Going faster than that causes intolerable artifacts, unless you do region management yourself to prevent overlapping a new region update with a region already in progress.

The K4/K5 use an EPD controller built into the freescale i.Mx508 Soc, which can process 20 simultaneous update reqions, as I recall. The K3 uses an external EPD controller chip that is slower and cannot handle as many simultaneous eink updates.

The overlapping region management in the eink driver code is a bit complex. Interestingly, the K4 booted from main emulates K3 eink in a HAL layer, but when booted from diags it uses K5-style eink management. Of course, that COULD change with a firmware update...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #13
twobob

we also have an xorg.conf

which should fill us with some confidence.

Quote:
# Automatically generated by makexconfig
Section "Serverflags"
Option "DontZap" "true"
Option "DontVTSwitch" "true"
Option "DontZoom" "true"
Option "BlankTime" "0"
Option "StandbyTime" "0"
Option "SuspendTime" "0"
Option "OffTime" "0"
Option "NoPM" "true"
Option "IgnoreABI" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "EinkPanel"
DisplaySize 91 121
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Kscreen"
Device "eink"
Monitor "EinkPanel"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
Visual "StaticGray"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "eink"
Driver "imx"
Option "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"
Option "FormatEPDC" "Y8"
Option "Rotate" "CW"
Option "NoAccel" "true"
Option "BackingStore" "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "whitney-button"
Driver "evdev"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event2"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "zforce"
Driver "multitouch"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event3"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "AlwaysCore"
Option "AccelerationProfile" "-1"
Option "AccelerationScheme" "none"
Option "AccelerationNumberator" "1"
Option "AcceleartionDenominator" "1"
Option "AccelerationThreshold" "1"
Option "XkbRules" "evdev"
Option "XkbModel" "evdev"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Kindle"
Screen "Kscreen"
InputDevice "whitney-button"
InputDevice "zforce"
EndSection
Old 09-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #14
twobob

Well. The Proboom build is part of the buildroot stuff. Without actually just GITting down a copy the extracation of the interim build files may well be meaningless. As the targets will likely be missing. However this is a completed and working build for the 5
(I included them anyway for your delectation or extraction)

The SDL build actually builds completely unpatched (I had a look in the BR makes)
I'll include my last (as-is OOTB build) here for your perusal.

I think the SDL page flip stuff you gave me just needs shuffling in the right spot. Im looking in src/video/fbcon/SDL_fbvideo.c and .h as a starting place

Quote:
/* Update for double-buffering, if we can */
if ( flags & SDL_DOUBLEBUF ) {
if ( vinfo.yres_virtual == (height*2) ) {
current->flags |= SDL_DOUBLEBUF;
flip_page = 0;
flip_address[0] = (char *)current->pixels;
flip_address[1] = (char *)current->pixels+
current->h*current->pitch;
this->screen = current;
FB_FlipHWSurface(this, current);
this->screen = NULL;
}
}
Looks a likely recipient of love.
Attached Files
File Type: gz games.tar.gz (1.7 KB, 241 views)
File Type: gz prboom-2.5.0.tar.gz (1.81 MB, 257 views)
File Type: gz sdl-confs.tar.gz (1.1 KB, 229 views)
File Type: gz sdl-1.2.15.tar.gz (4.26 MB, 229 views)
Old 09-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #15
twobob

[root@kindle root]# SDL_MOUSEDEV=/dev/input/event3 SDL_VIDEODRIVER=fbcon prboom -width 592 -height 800 -file /mnt/us/usr/share/games/doom/prboom.wad -iwad /mnt/us/usr/share/games/doom/doom1.wad -nosound -nosfx -nomusic -noaccel -save /mnt/us -fullscreen -nomonsters

would be an easy one-liner commandline.

Last edited by twobob; 10-15-2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: size, diags